How is the corona virus affecting you?

A few years back when I broke my ankle and couldn't drive for about 4 months... I got the Stop and Shop Peapod delivery system. They also had beer! it was great! (Peapod won't deliver to my current locale, too far.)
Well, now that I'm an established customer, they show me the whole charge up front, with my last tip percentage amount included.

Seeing it that way, it's a little sobering as to the added charge - $116 in purchases, $143 delivered. Ouch!

Well, now that I'm an established customer, they show me the whole charge up front, with my last tip percentage amount included.

Seeing it that way, it's a little sobering as to the added charge - $116 in purchases, $143 delivered. Ouch!

OUCH! Back when they did this, I took delivery at my back door, signed for it, and directly handed the delivery guy my tip. Because I could NOT access anything other than my back door, I was really glad they had me sign for things - and with buying beer, they had to see my driver's license, too. Delivery wasn't cheap, but I did want food they'd drop off where I could actually access it. (Being on a hillside my front was not accessible for a long while by normal means. A friend had to help manhandle me down to a car to go visit doctors.)

:eek: Wow....I pay £1.99 per month for as many deliveries as I want (normally that is, right now they're rationing people to 1 delivery per week - which is plenty!)
I know tipping culture is very different in the US, but do you literally tip everyone? It wouldn't occur to me to tip my Ocado driver, and as far as I'm aware the company don't encourage it either.

:eek: Wow....I pay £1.99 per month for as many deliveries as I want (normally that is, right now they're rationing people to 1 delivery per week - which is plenty!)
I know tipping culture is very different in the US, but do you literally tip everyone? It wouldn't occur to me to tip my Ocado driver, and as far as I'm aware the company don't encourage it either.
In a word, yes, we tip almost everyone. :)

Tip the waitstaff, tip the bartender, tip the baggage guy at the airport, tip the airport shuttle driver, tip any kind of delivery person, tip the hair stylist, taxi driver, dog groomer, and probably a dozen or so I'm forgetting. Reason being is, most of those people, they get paid a pittance with the understanding the lion's share of their income will be through tips. Minimum wage for waitstaff here is something like $2/hour.

My grocery order broken down is a $4 delivery fee, sales tax $3.50, service fee $5, alcohol handling fee $2, and $12 tip (10% rounded up).

I do a free curbside pickup service at my grocery store and their employees are not allowed to accept tips. I tried a few times and they refused to take it.

Well, that was my last Instacart order. The shopper this week was horrible.

Gave me grief over using my loyalty card (not an issue last week), way overbought on produce amounts (Kroger pre-bags grapes, but you're free add or remove grapes to get the amount you want - shopper grabbed a bag without weighing, so instead of one pound of grapes, I got slightly over two pounds), bought a cucumber that's clearly rotted and discolored from end-to-end, and the unforgivable transgression of buying the wrong damn beer, which thank god I noticed before she rang it up, or it would have been a case of heavy winter beers, not the summer case I ordered. On top of that, no paper receipt.

Back to the shops for me.

Are you tired of being forced to eat take-out because you don't want to cook? Are you tired of the restaurants being closed every day because of the COVID-19 virus? So am I! I'll be so glad when we are allowed to go back INSIDE the places to eat, sit down and be waited on!!:yuck:

Well, that was my last Instacart order. The shopper this week was horrible.

Gave me grief over using my loyalty card (not an issue last week), way overbought on produce amounts (Kroger pre-bags grapes, but you're free add or remove grapes to get the amount you want - shopper grabbed a bag without weighing, so instead of one pound of grapes, I got slightly over two pounds), bought a cucumber that's clearly rotted and discolored from end-to-end, and the unforgivable transgression of buying the wrong damn beer, which thank god I noticed before she rang it up, or it would have been a case of heavy winter beers, not the summer case I ordered. On top of that, no paper receipt.

Back to the shops for me.

I hope you left a bad review for that shopper. I'd also call the company, complain, and ask to ha e any tip refunded.

Are you tired of being forced to eat take-out because you don't want to cook? Are you tired of the restaurants being closed every day because of the COVID-19 virus? So am I! I'll be so glad when we are allowed to go back INSIDE the places to eat, sit down and be waited on!!:yuck:
No, no, and nooooo way!

I do miss eating out, but I don't want to eat out around here right now. Technically, we're pretty much completely open, as long as employees wear masks and enforce social distancing, but I've already been in two local restaurants with open kitchen/food prep areas...no one wearing masks. Most of the people around here don't take the virus seriously.

I hope you left a bad review for that shopper. I'd also call the company, complain, and ask to ha e any tip refunded.
Yep, in progress, and yep.

My grocery order broken down is a $4 delivery fee, sales tax $3.50, service fee $5, alcohol handling fee $2, and $12 tip (10% rounded up).

I'm really quite shocked by this. I too get unlimited deliveries for £1.99 a month (now once per week due to limited slots). No handling fees for alcohol, no sales tax, no delivery fee and nobody here would think of tipping the delivery driver. In fact, they would probably be a bit insulted.

I'm really quite shocked by this. I too get unlimited deliveries for £1.99 a month (now once per week due to limited slots). No handling fees for alcohol, no sales tax, no delivery fee and nobody here would think of tipping the delivery driver. In fact, they would probably be a bit insulted.
Well, the sales tax (on whatever items are taxed) would be akin to VAT - it's just that our prices are advertised pre-tax, so the tax gets added on at the end. It's why every American kid learns from any early age, if they want that $3.99 doo-hickey, they better have about $4.25 in their pocket. :)

I would imagine delivery drivers there are earning a fitting wage. I asked my niece, whose husband worked for Instacart for a short while how much they paid, and she laughed at said, "about a buck-fifty an hour!" I don't know how accurate that is, but considering waitstaff here can be paid right around $2/hour, I'm betting she's not far off the mark. That's why the tips are so important here, and even for the crappiest of crappy service, I'll rarely leave absolutely nothing.

Exactly. I was a server and bartender when in my early 20's. The wage for servers hasn't gone up since then (1980s). It was $2.13, I think it's still the same.

I would imagine delivery drivers there are earning a fitting wage.

We have a minimum hourly wage in the UK. I don't think they earn a fortune. I believe its around £10 per hour - a bit more than the minimum national wage which I believe is £8.20 for over 25s. They are much applauded here these days as being key workers. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom