How is the corona virus affecting you?

Fox News. Fox News grew during the late 1990s and 2000s to become the dominant subscription news network in the U.S. As of September 2018, approximately 87,118,000 U.S. households (90.8% of television subscribers) received Fox News. In 2019, Fox News was the top-rated cable network, averaging 2.5 million viewers. Hannity still believes in WMD's in Iraq.
Craig mate your views on this. Fox News broke UK broadcasting rules

I'm am NPA and I don't put stock in what the news media puts out there. I don't watch news broadcasts. I found the WMD's in an electric motor shop in Ft. Lauderdale. They had boxes and boxes labeled WMD on shelves stacked to the ceiling. :eek:

I'm am NPA and I don't put stock in what the news media puts out there.
I sometimes flip between Fox and CNN to see how differently things are being covered. The differences in what they show and talk about for exactly the same event can be shocking. In coverage of the protests, CNN will show police acting violently toward peaceful protesters; Fox will show protesters burning down the city. I wish there were a news station I can look at that had complete coverage.

The only somewhat consistent coverage of news events seems to be from local news stations, but only for local news events. For some reason, what's really happening in the national news is a tossup.

I sometimes flip between Fox and CNN to see how differently things are being covered. The differences in what they show and talk about for exactly the same event can be shocking. In coverage of the protests, CNN will show police acting violently toward peaceful protesters; Fox will show protesters burning down the city. I wish there were a news station I can look at that had complete coverage.

The only somewhat consistent coverage of news events seems to be from local news stations, but only for local news events. For some reason, what's really happening in the national news is a tossup.
Our newspapers are like that. You could read the whole days news in the Daily Express or the Sun, and then not recognise the same news items covered in the Daily Mirror or Guardian. For balance, we have the BBC, although some would disagree.

I think the problem, at least in today's terms, started with the 24-hour news cycle. Before that, you got your news from the paper and the nightly news broadcast.

Now, they've got time to fill, and they have ratings to drive, and they all figured out pretty quickly that sensationalism and yellow journalism is the way to achieve that.

Where the news coverage used to be a whole lotta news with a few minutes of opinion, it's completely flipped, if you're following CNN/MSNBC/Fox.

Sadly, I'm convinced too many people can't tell the difference between news and opinion:

Biden Names Harris As VP Pick - news
Biden To Step Down If Elected - opinion

Trump Signs EO Limiting Muslim Travel -news
Trump Hates Muslims - opinion

Additionally, if you go out to hard left or hard right "news" sites, a quick perusal of the comments show that too many people read the always-misleading headline, then go straight to the comments and start vomiting their moral outrage there.

What happens after that is other people read that, then take the comments as news - they don't even read the story, and it's how you get untruths and overreactions passed off as news.

That's why, as an independent who falls on both sides of the spectrum depending on the issue, I have zero interest in extremists, whether they're right or left, even though I have what many would consider some extreme right and left views, depending on what we're talking about.

I too watch them both as well, I'm on CNN ATM.

Russ

Daily Mirror or Guardian. For balance, we have the BBC, although some would disagree.
I concur. Bravo. I have trusted the Guardian from when it was known as the Manchester Guardian. As a life long LFC supporter Hillsborough was a prime example of thatchers right wing press at its best

Our newspapers are like that. You could read the whole days news in the Daily Express or the Sun, and then not recognise the same news items covered in the Daily Mirror or Guardian. For balance, we have the BBC, although some would disagree.

I listen to NPR (National Public Radio). They have an hour show everyday called the BBC Newshour, that I enjoy. I get to hear European news from Europeans.

One of the problems here is that our president has filled some people's heads with the notion that mainstream news is "fake," and that there is a "deep state" trying to do something evil -- their message isn't well formed.

It's not hard to fact check things, and I do that if something doesn't pass the "sniff test." Pretty much anything that our president says has to be fact checked, and mostly fails.

BTW, "libs" is a word used by far-right conservatives to describe anyone who is not with them. It is not spoken as a compliment. If you are not with them -- you hate America. You're a "Lib."

As for me, like TR, I am conservative on some issues, and liberal on others. I'd say that most Americans probably fit that description. But, the extremists make the most noise.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom