How is the present heatwave affecting you?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
12:53 AM
We are in the middle of a record heat wave right now!! The whole country is affected by it. Europe is also affected & there are flash fires there that are caused by it! The West Coast & the East Coast & all in between are affected. And there is no relief until Monday!! What are you doing to keep cool during this latest onslaught of record-breaking torridly hot weather?! :whistling:

Last edited:
It hit here a few days ago. I stayed immobile in front of a fan with wet cloths draped over me as much as possible. I also used a water spray bottle to spritz my face, arms and legs. I hate even the slightest heat so it was difficult for me. I actually felt really ill with it.

Thankfully it has passed now and it rained today. Bliss!

We turned down the thermostat, it's still hot here. It's been high 80s or low 90s (30-32C) every day for about a week. I went swimming at my friend's house who has a pool a couple of days ago. It was heavenly. Next week I am going up by the Lake (Erie) into PA and NY for work, so it should be considerably cooler up there.

It's registering 75 here, but I was just outside to go to the store, & it still feels wicked hot! We were supposed to get some rain here, but it never came! It would've brought some relief for a while though. But I'm back home now, sitting under the A/C. :heat:

Last edited:
We got 35 - 38ºC on Monday and Tuesday.No big deal: I lived in Venezuela where although the temperature was generally 27-30º, it was double that in the sun.
Wear loose clothes. Drink more water/liquid than you usually would. Keep plenty of ice in the freezer. Make sure you´ve got an air conditioner or fan. Don´t do anything daft like take the dog for a long walk, or a game of tennis. EAT.
And send hundreds of letters/emails to your local MP/Congressman to get it into their thick heads that climate change is real and will only get worse unless they do something drastic about it!

It's registering 75 here, but I was just outside to go to the store, & it still feels wicked hot! We were supposed to get some rain here, but it never came! It would've brought some relief for a while though. But I'm back home now, sitting under the A/C. :heat:
Wow, I would love 75F.

It has been miserable here. Going outside is like walking into an oven. We are used to 100-plus temperatures here in summer, but when it happens 20 days in a row, it wears on you. The hottest day so far this year is 109F/43C.

Add an almost complete lack of rain, and kiss your lawns and gardens goodbye. In adition, the black clay soil shrinks, and foundations sink. My bedroom door won't close because the Northwest corner of my foundation is sinking. The last time we had a heat wave on par with this one, the Northeast corner of my foundation broke. That was a $3,000 repair.

My house is comfortable, but my electric bill is going to be nuts. My car has an excellent AC system, so going places is comfortable. I walk outside from house, to car, to store, to car and back to house. If I have to do anything outside, I do it at sunrise, when it is only 85F/29C.

That's how the heatwave is affecting me.

CD

We are pretty much at normal temps for this time of year, but not getting our normal rain fall. Dang dust from Africa! We actually like the dust as it keeps Hurricane formation down.

In addition to the heat wave, we are going to lose 2 rapid transit lines for a month. That will mean that waiting passengers may be stranded in the blistering heat while waiting for suttle buses & scorching in the torrid heat!! :cry:

Just getting hot now for the next couple of days..we've had a good summer..enough rain, sun, etc...

A few graphics. 100F is 38C.

Right now...

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 5.51.11 PM.jpg

Month of July (109F is 43C)...

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 5.54.09 PM.jpg

CD

We are lucky at the moment here in Anglesey as unlike the East of the UK we have had some rain.
I now have three full 200 litre water barrels of rain water collected off the garden shed roofs, but with the current weather forecast predicting two weeks of dry conditions, we may need to limit which plants get watered. After two weeks here I'm returning home to Mansfield tomorrow and expecting to find a bone dry garden with withered plants.

It's quite cool here at present and looks to be staying that way for at least a week.

Back
Top Bottom