How is the present heatwave affecting you?

Weather has been great here for the past two days and another great week coming up with temps around 25C/73F during the day and 15C/60F during the evenings.

To be honest, I have had enough, too hot to go anywhere or do anything, struggle to sleep despite having a fan on overnight.Heavy rain is forecast but due to the ground being so dry it cause floods as the ground won't be able to soak up the rain properly.

To be honest, I have had enough, too hot to go anywhere or do anything, struggle to sleep despite having a fan on overnight.Heavy rain is forecast but due to the ground being so dry it cause floods as the ground won't be able to soak up the rain properly.

Welcome to my world.

CD

You have air conditioning, though.

Don't get me wrong, I feel really bad for people in Europe who are suffering from these really hot summer temperatures. I'm just saying that what they are going through is what we in Texas call "summer."

It's kinda' like when the "Big Freeze" hit Texas in February of 2021. The power grid had a meltdown. We just weren't ready for something like that.

CD

Don't get me wrong, I feel really bad for people in Europe who are suffering from these really hot summer temperatures. I'm just saying that what they are going through is what we in Texas call "summer."

It's kinda' like when the "Big Freeze" hit Texas in February of 2021. The power grid had a meltdown. We just weren't ready for something like that.

CD
I think you people in Texas call it spring and fall, too, LOL. I have been to Texas many, many times, most of the time it's October or Novemeber (I avoid going there in summer), and the heat can be easily in the 90s with humidity nearly as high. UGH.

CD
My middle stepdaughter who lives in Austin lost power for 2 weeks during that winter storm and she and her husband stayed with his mom for 2 weeks until they got it fixed. They emptied the freezer and frig and took all the food to their mom's house so at least they didn't lose that. My sister also lives in Austin and she did not lose power at all, nor did my brother in Houston or my many cousins and my aunt who live over in the Port Arthur area. Austin seemed to have been hit particularly hard during that storm. Did you lose power? I can't remember you saying that you did.

Agreed. I'm barely functioning right now. I'm seriously considering installing air-con.

My middle stepdaughter who lives in Austin lost power for 2 weeks during that winter storm and she and her husband stayed with his mom for 2 weeks until they got it fixed. They emptied the freezer and frig and took all the food to their mom's house so at least they didn't lose that. My sister also lives in Austin and she did not lose power at all, nor did my brother in Houston or my many cousins and my aunt who live over in the Port Arthur area. Austin seemed to have been hit particularly hard during that storm. Did you lose power? I can't remember you saying that you did.

My electric coop had us on a rolling blackout schedule. We had power on for 30 minutes, and off for 30 minutes. The temperature in my house got down to the upper 50s at the worst part, but I had my fireplace to hang out by.

My sister in Houston lost power for three days.

CD

Agreed. I'm barely functioning right now. I'm seriously considering installing air-con.

If you can get a one-room air conditioner, you can cool down one room and spend most of your time in that room. When autumn arrives, you can store that AC away until next summer. You can do that (at least in the US) for less than $500 US.

A whole house system like mine runs about $10,000 US, but is essential here. I use mine about six months (sometimes more) of the year, so it is worth it.

CD

If you can get a one-room air conditioner, you can cool down one room and spend most of your time in that room. When autumn arrives, you can store that AC away until next summer. You can do that (at least in the US) for less than $500 US.

Are you talking about free standing, vent out the window types?

I have a 'sort of' open plan ground floor but the front part is South facing and gets really hot. I can't open windows in that room as its on a noisy main road. I was thinking of wall mounted venting through the wall - has to be specially installed.

Back
Top Bottom