How Much TV Do You Watch?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
7:42 AM
How much TV do you watch in a day? I’d guess on weekdays, we watch around eight hours a day, as I usually watch a movie during the day, and then the TV comes on for the evening viewing at 5PM.

Weekends are probably about the same. I don’t usually get the chance to watch a movie during the day, but we do watch something over breakfast, and the weekend is when I catch up on my YT videos.

I suppose I should include phones/computers in that as well, though I’m old-fashioned and watch very little media on my phone or a computer.

What are your viewing habits like?

Just a bit over dinner..usually news..I may surf around the cable with the remote if gf isn't watching something..she hates when I do that because I usually watch about 5 things at once..I can't stand commercials and rarely commit to a movie..so, maybe 45 minutes? GF is usually in the living room as her hobby is knitting and we don't share the same viewing habits..but, I'll come in and talk really loud and she'll pause her show until I get the hint and leave..
I should add that I will watch more if I do get into a series or something else..but, that is sporadic and no really scheduled, daily habit..

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by TV. Smart TV give you many options. As far as regular scheduled television and cable television personally other than sports events, some local news and a weather network I really don't watch any. Series that I enjoy like The Expanse for example I watch on my laptop from alternative streaming services. I watch a dozen or so networks from the internet for most of my news and other information. For example if there's a headline that interests me I might watch 3 or 4 sources each with different perspectives. Also most research I do is internet based. During covid I'm on my laptop more than I ever have been but suspect that to reduce soon. Right now I'm probably similar to you as far as the amount of time watching.

Depends on what you mean by TV.
Traditional TV, streaming on a phone or computer, all of it.

We watch a mix, and through various means. Old-fashioned TV antenna network TV, that’s for local news and weather and the occasional program on MeTV (classic programming from the ‘60’s/‘70’s/‘80’s).

We also have SlingTV for a la carte channel selection, and the main reason we have that is for Hallmark Christmas movies, Turner Classic Movies, Doctor Who, and a couple of things on SyFy.

Network stuff (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS), we watch for free through their apps, which means a week delay and ads, but I actually like having the forced break and ad provides, so take that, networks, I’m happy not paying!

Other than that, we have AppleTV+, Disney+, Starz (MrsT must have her Outlander), Netflix, AcornTV, and Britbox. Those are all pay services.

We used to watch a lot of stuff on CW (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl), but now we’re down to just Stargirl, but I like that they’re completely free and no registration, either.

We also have Tubi and FilmRise, both like CW (no fee, no registration). Tubi would be the hardest for me to give up, as they have a lot of ‘60’s/‘70’s exploitation films and European horror/mystery, as well as a host of other stuff. I could be happy with just Tubi.

Our tv never goes on earlier than 6 pm. Usually about 30 minutes after we get home.
I used to watch Coronation Street religiously for 2 hours on Sunday mornings. But, I stopped for a few years and don’t relate to the new generation of characters and themes. Long gone are the days of Curly, Jack and Vera.

When Starz first put out Outlander I watched maybe the first half hour of it... sorry, to me anyways, that's not Claire in my head.
I have first editions of each of the books, even the most recent-haven't found the time to read it yet, I've even met Diana and have one book autographed by her (thrills).

Oh wait, TV viewing, right!

We have a Roku stick in each of the two sets in our home and stream what we wish from various 'channels'.
The smaller set in the den comes on occasionally during the day if DH wants to see something about what he's been reading.
The big screen TV doesn't come on until 7pm (after dinner) and is shut off at 9pm.
We do not watch anything while eating a meal, at the dining table btw. When we retired and left Hawaii, I made DH promise me that we would eat all of our meals at the table! Now trays! And no TV even on while we eat. We have a conversation.

How much TV do you watch in a day? I’d guess on weekdays, we watch around eight hours a day, as I usually watch a movie during the day, and then the TV comes on for the evening viewing at 5PM.
Eight hours a day????:hyper::hyper::hyper:
Holy F...airycakes; you need to find a hobby!!!

Ever thought about cooking?:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Seriously, though - that´s a lot of hours, but since you´re a movie buff, perhaps not so much.
I might watch 8 hours of TV per week, and it usually involves sport. I find TV is "white noise", and to be honest, prefer to listen to the birds singing and the neighborhood dogs barking. Or nothing at all; and where I live, that is possible. I also read like it was going out of fashion, and I couldn´t do that with the BBC/NBC/CNN bleating in the background.
My wife, however, could happily watch "telenovelas" all day, every day. And usually does.:D:D

I'm only listening to cnn atm while I do e mails etc. So not really watching. This will be on until wife gets home at 5.
Then usually we watch the chase and the news. 2 hrs. Then wife goes upstairs at 7.30 after dinner. She watches reality tv. It does my head in, mindless crapola.
I go up about 9ish and we watch together stuff weve recorded on sky tv.
She goes to bed about 11 then I watch rick Stein etc. We started taping new season peaky blinders atm. My fave program.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom