How Much TV Do You Watch?

A few hours a month? I'm on my computer a lot, but I don't watch TV shows. I watch the occasional movie, and I watch my Steelers play football. I have a Full home theater with 7.1 surround and a plasma TV, but rarely use it. The 42-inch TV in my bedroom is more of a clothes rack than a TV.

I do spend a lot of time watching YouYube videos on my computer. I have a 27-inch screen, so it is a lot lie a TV. I mostly watch food, car, and travel related videos.

I spend a lot more time interacting on my forums than I do passively watching things. My computer... it's where all my friends live. :laugh:

CD

This is something that I can't wrap my head around. My mom reads novels (on her iPad now), with the TV on all day. At the same time! She's reading a book while FOXnews blares in the background. How is that possible?

On the other hand, if I am working, I can't have music with lyrics on in the background. Instrumentals are okay, but any words and I will lose concentration on my work.

CD

On a Sunday when I am around the house I can put a sporting event on as background noise..I never actually sit and watch it but have learned to listen and if something good happens I'll check out the replays..Kinda like the highlights but live..

My bedroom TV was free. My parents bought a bigger one, and offered the 42-incher. I figured, why not?

CD
I have a big tv in my room also..long story but it was an extra..It's not hooked up to cable but I have ROKU and I'll turn it on some nights before bed and check out some Youtube

We have 4 tvs 55 inch smart upstairs
42 in lounge downstairs smart tv. Our bedroom 42in
Miss 12 room downstairs 32??
I need to get one for the boys room.

Russ

We have a tv in the bedroom, not in the living room. That is because I spend a lot of time in bed due to pain, but I actually never watch tv. We've only had our set on this year just to watch the Corona news. We've thought about stopping our monthly fee for it, but that's so little that it's insignificant and our provider doesn't offer a package without tv.
So basically the tv is there for the moments I am too sick to do anything else, in which case I watch Netflix and Youtube on my tv and still do not watch any broadcasting networks.
I love to watch the BBC ( British Broadcasting Company) , but I do that online nowadays whenever I feel like it. But I definitely don't watch more than 4 hours of tv every week, I never have. I prefer netflix, youtube, and podcasts. I listen a lot of podcasts while cooking and doing my house chores.

I absolutely HATE AND ABHOR having a goggle box in the bedroom. I´m sometimes woken up at 2 in the morning by some mindless Mexican soap opera, which means I can´t get back to sleep. I´ve been trying for years to get my wife to adopt a hobby which does not involve listening to some 3rd rate actor/actress mindlessly repeating the same dull lines, but to no avail.

We have two TVs: one in the lounge and one on the decking outside which is mostly used at weekends for watching sports (when the weather allows) or when we're in the hot tub. No TV in the kitchen and none in the bedroom either.

On an average weekday we probably watch about 3 hours of TV together after dinner. Hubby also watches the sports news for a while during his lunch break, I tend to watch things on YouTube instead. At the weekends we probably watch a little bit more: hubby will watch the sports news in the morning, we often watch a movie in the evening, and there's sometimes a football or rugby match in the afternoon that hubby wants to see (but that depends on what else we're doing).

Finally, after 20 years WITHOUT TV, I now have cable TV here. Didn't really miss it. Watched the Summer Olympics and a few home improvement shows, and some news.

I cannot stand having the TV on just to generate background noise. (That's what music is for! Or the sounds of nature when it is warm enough to open the windows!)

I do go to sleep at night sometimes listening to YouTube videos on a device - topics that interest me - food (natch), homesteading, some science. A couple odd channels hither and yon.

But all those things Tasty subscribes to - I haven't heard of half of them! I have no desire whatsover to pay for a "plus" channel. I don't even do Netflix - haven't done that since they went from DVDs to streaming, either.

No TV in the bedroom. I have one 43 incher in the living room and one about 30 inches in the guest bedroom.

I do books. On Kindle or on paper. Also a good way to fall asleep.

There are a total of four TVs in the house:

1. Ancient multi-system TV left over from our UK days, not plugged in and hasn’t been for nearly 20 years.

2. Little 13” flatscreen in the bar. Gets turned on maybe once every five years, no cable/streaming capability, just antenna, more for looks than anything else.

3. Maybe 42” flatscreen in bedroom, installed in 2010 when my wife spent the majority of that year confined to bed. Also no cable/streaming/DVD capability. This was the TV we’d turn on for the dog when we’d leave her alone. Hasn’t been turned on in over a year.

4. 50-something” flatscreen in living room, at least 10 years old. Antenna, DVD, and AppleTV box for streaming. This is the only TV that gets used with any regularity.

I should have been clearer about the hours in a day we watch it. That’s the number of hours it’s on, but that doesn’t mean we both are actively watching. When I watch my daytime movie, I’m almost always on the treadmill. MrsT will be sat in the living room, but not watching the TV.

When the TV comes on at 5PM for the evening, I’m usually in the kitchen. I’ll listen during news and weather, but after that, I tune it out while she watches something of hers. I’d guess our “together” viewing starts around 6PM and lasts until around 10PM.

I don’t remember when or why we got Netflix. I think it was when we ditched satellite service (DirecTV), maybe not. Actually, we got Sling to replace that, then Netflix shortly after.

AcornTV and Britbox are both streaming services with British (and some Canadian/Australian/New Zealand) content, so those were must-haves for us.

Starz, Disney+, and AppleTV+ were all free for a year. Disney+, MrsT would have definitely bought that anyway, because of all the Star Wars and Marvel content, Starz is only for Outlander, which does eventually show up on Netflix, so that won’t be renewed, and we were both pleasantly surprised at the content on AppleTV+ - we expected to ditch that after a year, but there are several programs we watch on that (Ted Lasso, Foundation, The Shrink Next Door, Afterparty, and we’re due to start Severance, and we have a very German Expressionism-influenced Macbeth coming up that we can’t wait to see.

MrsT is out of town for a week starting today, so expect my TV hours to bump up into double digits. I have to get in all the shows/movies I like that she won’t watch. :laugh:

A common conversation at our house:

MrsT: You can pick the movie tonight. You’ve had a really long week at work. Anything you want.
Me: Anything?
MrsT: Sure, whatever you like.

<clicks on movie to read description>

MrsT: We’ll, I’m not watching that.

<clicks on another movie>

MrsT: Really? That? You can’t be serious!

<clicks on another movie>

MrsT: That just looks dumb.
Me: Anything I want, huh?
MrsT: Yeah, I don’t care.

🤨

We have 4 also..I had one, GF had one, and when we bought my late mother's house she had a brand new big screen she bought. Then, we bought a really big one for the living room because GF can't see sub titles...lol..the ones in the bedrooms and my man cave are rarely on..When I'm up there I am either drumming or forcing myself to do a stretching routine..lol

Then, we bought a really big one for the living room because GF can't see sub titles...lol
We started using subtitles way back in…whenever Matt Smith was The Doctor, because he’d talk so fast at times, we’d miss a lot of it.

Once you get used to it, it’s hard to live without, and now, when I pop on some low-budget 1960’s Bulgarian horror movie and there are no subtitles, I get more than a little irritated.

I like the Foreign film section..gf never did because she found it hard to keep up..but after a few movies she searches those sections as much as I do..

Back
Top Bottom