How quickly do you use eggs?

I bought medium eggs by mistake a while ago and felt cheated, because I ended up adding an extra egg to everything. :laugh:
It's so complicated, LOL. I used to always buy medium eggs because they were a better value most of the time. Lately I have been buying extra large because of the same thing. My main issue is my husband looks at the yolks, so he wants 3 eggs. If I have extra large eggs, he has an extra large breakfast, LOL. I liked being able to give him 3 medium eggs but now would like to give him 2 extra large, but he isn't having it!

Double yolks are by chance here..not a common thing commercially..not that I know of, anyway
This is a local farm that I've been dealing with for 30 years. They sell commercially which is why they deliver to my door. I've known the last 3 owners by name. Current guy does up minis.. my son had 1, he also knows him.

Russ

Double yolks are by chance here..not a common thing commercially..not that I know of, anyway
In the UK and on certain farms, it is possible to purchase dedicated packs of double yolkers as well. I've not looked for the in Aussie supermarkets with me having my own chooks but I do know that chooks who lay them are not actually in a good way because it's a sign of fertility issues in a chook and often associated with either the very beginning of a chooks laying life or the very end of it. Last year 2 of my chooks started laying double yolkers. One was just starting to lay and soon stopped laying them and things sorted themselves out, but the other girl is at the very end of her laying life and dropped to laying 2 eggs a week before winter started. She's not laying at all now (expected) she may or may not lay again next season. No big deal for me, she's at least 6 or 7 years old minimum. I got her 4 years ago supposedly at the end of get laying life. I'm happy for chooks to retire and not lay, sadly most people are not.

Some posters here haven't had a double yolker??

Russ
From the grocery store, virtually unheard of. From the farmer around the corner, one or two per dozen.

I think when you’re a corporate chicken, working for the likes of Kroger/Walmart, they keep you in line: “One yolk per egg, chicks! Don’t give it away for free!”

4 or 5 days a week I will have either 2 or 3 eggs for breakfast. I may need to plop an egg into another dish about once a week.

Right now I have a surplus of eggs. In cold February I tend to fall short of my needs.

The chickens don't lay by the dozen. Today i got six, with evidence that another one got eaten (by them)

My hens have only ever given me ONE double yolker since I started raising chickens. It was a very large egg, so i suspected it to be the case. Now, I have sold/given away a bundle of chicken eggs, so potentially some of those had been double yolkers - but just in case, I do reserve the really large eggs for myself.

Some posters here haven't had a double yolker??

Russ

I have never seen a double yolk egg in my lifetime, except in pictures on this forum. I can't say that I care. Three large eggs, scrambles, on a plate with some bacon and hash browns and I'm a happy camper. I do know that any eggs that cost 24-bucks for 20 eggs better be pretty incredible tasting eggs. I pay about 37-cents an egg for organic, free range large eggs.

CD

I have never seen a double yolk egg in my lifetime, except in pictures on this forum. I can't say that I care. Three large eggs, scrambles, on a plate with some bacon and hash browns and I'm a happy camper. I do know that any eggs that cost 24-bucks for 20 eggs better be pretty incredible tasting eggs. I pay about 37-cents an egg for organic, free range large eggs.

CD
I get 2 trays of 20 so theres 40 eggs.about 1/3 are double yolkers.

Russ

I get 2 trays of 20 so theres 40 eggs.about 1/3 are double yolkers.

Russ
Well there are a lot of mutant critters in NZ and Oz. No big surprise that the chickens would lay weird eggs, LOL!

But I would love to have them in my frying pan at breakfast time!

I made the mistake of letting the eggs stay too long in the fridge. When I wanted to make a cake, I couldn't use them!! They became too hard & they all wouldn't come out of the shells! Only buy a dozen at a time, unless you're making dinner or things that require lots of eggs!! :whistling:

I made the mistake of letting the eggs stay too long in the fridge. When I wanted to make a cake, I couldn't use them!! They became too hard & they all wouldn't come out of the shells! Only buy a dozen at a time, unless you're making dinner or things that require lots of eggs!! :whistling:
I buy 3-4 dozen at a time, but hubby eats at least 3 every day so I'd be having to to the store twice a week for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom