How would you "American-ize" a dish?

madebyyouandi

Local time
1:21 PM
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm making a YouTube video this week on Oyakodon (oya = parent, ko= child, don=rice bowl) or Chicken and Egg over rice. I made (and ate) five today. As I was doing it, I wondered how I could change it to make it "American" but still keep the concept: Boiling/Poaching meat with egg and serving it over rice. I was wondering how to American-ize the flavors and wondered if any of you had any idea, humorous or serious.

The dish is flavored with dashi, soy sauce, and mirin (and/or sugar and sake).

Off hand I was thinking Chicken and Bacon, dashi, mirpoix or
Chicken, bacon, beef broth, mirpoix.

Any thoughts on what flavor profile or ingredients can "American-ize" a dish? It doesn't have to be just about this dish. I'm curious what the "American" flavor profile/ingredient list means to you.

I'm making a YouTube video this week on Oyakodon (oya = parent, ko= child, don=rice bowl) or Chicken and Egg over rice. I made (and ate) five today. As I was doing it, I wondered how I could change it to make it "American" but still keep the concept: Boiling/Poaching meat with egg and serving it over rice. I was wondering how to American-ize the flavors and wondered if any of you had any idea, humorous or serious.

The dish is flavored with dashi, soy sauce, and mirin (and/or sugar and sake).

Off hand I was thinking Chicken and Bacon, dashi, mirpoix or
Chicken, bacon, beef broth, mirpoix.

Any thoughts on what flavor profile or ingredients can "American-ize" a dish? It doesn't have to be just about this dish. I'm curious what the "American" flavor profile/ingredient list means to you.

How are you cooking the egg? Looking at various recipes some seem to be almost an omelette and others the raw yolk.

I googled. The quote "That's the most unheard of thing I ever heard of" is from an animation cartoon called "King Leonardo and Odie Colognie."

Last edited:
I suppose, if you want to Americanize a dish, serve it on fine "Lenox china." But be prepared to pay a heavy price for a single plate. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom