How would you "American-ize" a dish?

We've got some good answers here. As much as they're meant as a joke, a lot of them would seriously work. I don't know how cheese would work in an Asian dish, but bacon certainly would. And, make that chicken a (tempura) fried chicken. Then, add a spicy mayo/ranch sauce to drizzle over the top.

And now...an actual picture from KFC Philippines. It looks like I wasn't far off!

EwHb8w7XcAMgd68?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
:

Would they use a ladle?

Absolutely not. Mayonnaise is not something used a lot in classic French cooking (from where it originates). It used to be in very specific dishes such as egg mayonnaise or with fish and was always hand made. When I was a kid I never had mayonnaise. It simply wasn't available unless you made it from scratch and no working class family like mine would have known how to do that or really even known what it was.

More recently the American style of mayo with everything - in sandwiches, with chips (fries) in burgers etc. has caught on in the UK and probably in some other parts of Europe.

How are you cooking the egg? Looking at various recipes some seem to be almost an omelette and others the raw yolk.
Oyakodon is typically served with the eggs just south of being set with or without an additional egg yolk on top, but as tastes change, people fully cook the eggs, too. Myself, I like it nearly raw with an extra yolk. :)

I suppose, if you want to Americanize a dish, serve it on fine "Lenox china." But be prepared to pay a heavy price for a single plate. :whistling:

Oh, you is fancy! I would'a put it on a Styrofoam plate and called it a night. :)

Need to make it taste like a Big Mac.

lol, you know, I was thinking of closing the video by putting a cheeseburger on rice and calling it "Super American Don". :)

Would you Europeanize a meal by dumping tablespoons of mayonaise on it?

I think the proper way to Europeanize a meal is by pouring a bottle of wine over it. :wink:

What's your original recipe? I'd want to see that first.

It's super easy (barely and inconvenience): Chicken thigh, sliced into bitesized pieces, aprox 150 grams per serving. To that, prepare 1 cup of dashi with 1-2 tablespoons each of Soy Sauce and Mirin (some people add extra sugar and/or an equal amount of sake) and set aside 1 - 1/2 of sliced onion.

For two servings, pour all the liquid in a fry pan, add the onion and "poach" for about two minutes, till it just starts to soften. Add the chicken, cook for 4 -5 minutes more, turn down the heat, pour in two partly beaten eggs, cover and cook for 1-2 minutes (until it's set to your taste). Serve over rice.

It's really is easy. The sauce flavors the rice and served with a side vegetable, a good balance, imo.

We've got some good answers here. As much as they're meant as a joke, a lot of them would seriously work. I don't know how cheese would work in an Asian dish, but bacon certainly would. And, make that chicken a (tempura) fried chicken. Then, add a spicy mayo/ranch sauce to drizzle over the top.

Japan is Americanizing. You can find cheese on everything these days and more and more, bacon. There's already a version of what you're describing sold in most family restaurants. (It's pretty good.). :wink:

It's super easy (barely and inconvenience): Chicken thigh, sliced into bitesized pieces, aprox 150 grams per serving. To that, prepare 1 cup of dashi with 1-2 tablespoons each of Soy Sauce and Mirin (some people add extra sugar and/or an equal amount of sake) and set aside 1 - 1/2 of sliced onion.

For two servings, pour all the liquid in a fry pan, add the onion and "poach" for about two minutes, till it just starts to soften. Add the chicken, cook for 4 -5 minutes more, turn down the heat, pour in two partly beaten eggs, cover and cook for 1-2 minutes (until it's set to your taste). Serve over rice.

It's really is easy. The sauce flavors the rice and served with a side vegetable, a good balance, imo.

That already sounds like a fairly American friendly dish.

If you want to go Texan with it, bread and pan fry the chicken, serve it on mashed potatoes instead of rice, and put a couple of fried eggs on the top.

Asia food has exploded in popularity in the US over the last 20 years. Chinese (Americanized) has been popular much longer, but Japanese, Korean, Thai and Vietnamese restaurants are in every decent sized city. My city (population 205,000) probably has a dozen or more sushi restaurants. My local grocery store has a "booth" inside where fresh sushi is made to order for take out.

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.09.05 PM.png

CD

That already sounds like a fairly American friendly dish.

If you want to go Texan with it, bread and pan fry the chicken, serve it on mashed potatoes instead of rice, and put a couple of fried eggs on the top.

Asia food has exploded in popularity in the US over the last 20 years. Chinese (Americanized) has been popular much longer, but Japanese, Korean, Thai and Vietnamese restaurants are in every decent sized city. My city (population 205,000) probably has a dozen or more sushi restaurants. My local grocery store has a "booth" inside where fresh sushi is made to order for take out.

View attachment 64598

CD
Likewise. A new supermarket just opened in my rural town and was very excited because it's "food". And it's huge comparatively
speaking. They also have an independent company selling sushi and other Japanese goods, looks great, and was extremely excited, got home and ripped into the take home container, only to find probably the worst sushi I've ever had. The few locals that I've had contact with agree that it's not very good. How sad and disappointing.

Likewise. A new supermarket just opened in my rural town and was very excited because it's "food". And it's huge comparatively
speaking. They also have an independent company selling sushi and other Japanese goods, looks great, and was extremely excited, got home and ripped into the take home container, only to find probably the worst sushi I've ever had. The few locals that I've had contact with agree that it's not very good. How sad and disappointing.

I don’t know how remote where you live is, but do you think it’s possible that they thought they could present something that looks like sushi and think the customers wouldn’t know any better?

I don’t know how remote where you live is, but do you think it’s possible that they thought they could present something that looks like sushi and think the customers wouldn’t know any better?

Like my "Redneck Sushi?" This is "Americanized" to the maximum. Sausage, rice, jalapeño stuffed with cheese. Wrapped in bacon.

RedneckSushi.jpg

CD

Back
Top Bottom