I really don't know what to call this, fried scalloped / gratin potatoes, maybe?

madebyyouandi

Local time
11:21 PM
Website
www.youtube.com
I've been making these for a decade, my preferred alternative to french fries. They're sliced potatoes layered either with an infused cream or flavorful stock. You can cook them in a flat dish and then fry them, but I've always liked the way the layers look when I bake it in a deep bread pan. I posted a photo last week and people seemed to like it, so I made a video of it. Either way, here's the cream/milk version of the recipe -- and if this has a proper name, let me know. :)

screen shot.png

Fried Gratinated Potatoes / Fried Scalloped Potatoes
Milk/Cream version

• Garlic, 1 or 2 cloves (optional)
  • Herbs: Bay leaf, Thyme, Rosemary, one or all to taste
  • Cream and/or milk, enough to make 2 cups
  • Potatoes, enough to fill whatever sized dish you are using
  • Cheese, optional. Parmesan and Gruyere are good choices
  • Salt, to taste

1. Prepare the garlic and herbs.
2. Add the milk/cream to a sauce pot with the garlic and whatever herbs you will be using.
3. Heat the milk/cream on a low heat to bring to the simmer. Cover and turn off the heat. Leave until it is room temperature then remove the garlic and herb.
4. Peel and slice enough potatoes to fit whatever pan you will. be cooking them in. (You do not need to use all of the sauce. You can keep any leftover in the refrigerator for another version later.)
5. Dip the potato slices in the milk/cream mixture and layer the potato slices in the pan, then add a layer of the sauce and cheese (if using). You can also brush butter or fat onto the each potato layer to deepen the flavor. Add the rest of the cream/milk mixture. (If there's any left over, save it in the fridge.)
6. Cover and bake in a 350F or 180C oven for 1 hour or until the potatoes are done.
7. While the dish is still hot, put a sheet of wax paper over it and set upon it something heavy to weigh it down. Doing this will remove all gaps to make clean layers. This step is optional -- unless you are frying.
8. When the dish reaches room temperature, you can invert and serve or slice and fry.
9. In a pan add whatever fat you will be using and fry slices of the gratin until golden brown. Alternatively, you can broil slices with a lot less oil, be sure to baste the slices to avoid burning in the broiler.

Here's the video if you'd like to see.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muBHw8SZXwI

Attachments

• screen shot.png
    screen shot.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Slight variation from me, I let my sliced potatoes sit in the sink with water, it removes a lot of starch. I butter my dish quite heavily. I only use cream garlic and grated cheddar cheese. And pepper. No herbs.
I call it dauphinois .
Maybe I'm wrong? But it's a fave here.

Russ

Slight variation from me, I let my sliced potatoes sit in the sink with water, it removes a lot of starch. I butter my dish quite heavily. I only use cream garlic and grated cheddar cheese. And pepper. No herbs.
I call it dauphinois .
Maybe I'm wrong? But it's a fave here.

Russ

I soaked the slice in water before, maybe too long, and they didn't hold their shape when I tried layering them. Does that happen to yours?

My favorite quote, "if your afraid of butter, use cream". :)
Lol, I like your style, they only sit in the sink while I cut as I go. Drained when ready to layer.
Btw we or I use a lot of butter here, nz is a major producer.
I use about 12 cloves of garlic.

When I asked mr6 what his favourite potatoes are, he said while motioning his hands the ones with slice on slice on top all over. Lol. We all love garlic n butter.

Russ

What was the black stuff ? Looked like canned gravy but we know better.

Did I miss something in the ingredients ?

T

It is at 1:35 in the video. This time it didn't look so thck but it was certainly black.

If they got beef stock that dark I want to know how.

T

Back
Top Bottom