Ideas for pasta sauces with no tomato

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:16 AM
About once a week I make a pasta dish for partner's lunch. He suffers from bad psoriasis and some sources recommend eliminating tomato from the diet can help. I've been doing that for several months now and it has improved quite a lot.

My quest is to come up with some ideas for pasta sauces that don't contain tomato. I think also, he is getting fed up with creamy type sauces! All ideas welcome.

Does he like pesto sauce?

Personally I also enjoy a dish of pasta served just with olive oil and garlic. If you like flavored olive oil, that also changes the taste a bit. Pasta with olive oil, garlic, sundried tomatoes and toasted breadcrumbs works well for me too.

There's so many ingredients to choose from MG, where to start. Do you include cheese that is emulsified as in cacio e pepe as a creamy sauce?

For a light pasta I use lemons with some garlic, parsley, evoo and grated parm. Broccoli pasta, I cook broccoli until basically overcooked and take off the flower part and dice. Finish the pasta in the frying pan in evoo, garlic and add some butter, because I love butter with the water from the cooked broccoli and when it turns starchy add in the diced flower tops, of course a little parm is always good and possibly thinned out with more broccoli water. There's pesto's of course with many different combinations, anchovy, peppers and olives for example. I could go on all day. :okay:

Boil down/reduce some chicken, beef or vegetable broth with onion, garlic, herbs, some of your favourite chopped vegetables, until the broth thickens and finish your al dente noodles in the thick broth..top with black pepper and good handful of fresh parsley. Here's one I do with left over steak/beef

Last edited:
Don't limit yourself to thinking of "sauce" as something you can pour over the pasta. Start with a fat, saute some aromatics, and toss in your almost-cooked pasta along with some of the pasta water. Tons of options for different flavors and additions, and comes together quickly so its ideal for a weeknight meal. The flavor-infused fat along with the pasta water creates something of a sauce on its own.

Don't limit yourself to thinking of "sauce" as something you can pour over the pasta.

Believe me I'd never pour sauce over pasta. I just didn't know how else to name it other than calling it sauce.

Do you include cheese that is emulsified as in cacio e pepe as a creamy sauce?

I do really - I've been making a lot of cheesy sauces.
For a light pasta I use lemons with some garlic, parsley, evoo and grated parm. Broccoli pasta, I cook broccoli until basically overcooked and take off the flower part and dice. Finish the pasta in the frying pan in evoo, garlic and add some butter, because I love butter with the water from the cooked broccoli and when it turns starchy add in the diced flower tops, of course a little parm is always good and possibly thinned out with more broccoli water.

Sounds good!

Does he like pesto sauce?

Yeah, that's a good idea.

Sicilian Broccoli
Put the broccoli florets in a pan with 4-5 whole garlic cloves. Add olive oil, a pinch or two of red chile pepper, salt and pepper. Add a little water. Bring to the boil then lower to a simmer, put the lid on and cook gently for 20 minutes, until the broccoli is a mush. Mix with penne or rigatoni.
Red Pepper & Anchovies
Roast 2 large red peppers in the oven until blackened. Remove skin and seeds and cut into julienne. In a medium saucepan, add 4-5 tbsps olive oil and 4-5 anchovies, plus 3 cloves of garlic. Cook through until the anchovies fall apart. Add a large sprig of thyme, then add the peppers and a tbsp red wine vinegar. Cook together until all the flavours come together. Serve with pasta of your choice.
Artichokes & Bacon
Stir- fry some artichoke hearts with a few rashers of chopped bacon and a clove or two of garlic.
7 herbs
Finely chop parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, dill, chives and chervil together. Sweat in olive oil with a clove or two of garlic.
Sausage & Mustard
This is a wierd one, but it works for me. Julienne a small onion and half a red pepper. Sauté briefly in olive oil. Now add 2-3 diced frankfurters, 2 tsps prepared mustard and a tbsp vinegar. Heat through till the sausages are hot.
Pasta with Satay sauce.
Peanut butter, soy, rice wine vinegar, Thai chiles, coriander leaf, sesame oil, lime juice, brown sugar, fish sauce. Blitz in the blender, add pasta water and serve - maybe chicken, shrimp, pork, etc.

I just didn't know how else to name it other than calling it sauce.
I really like what the Italians call sauce, condimento, that description is perfect here in my Casa, I don't care of gobs of sauce with my Pasta.
I've cut back on tomato products, as they just plain ole don't like me, I get a terrible stomach ache!
I've been experimenting with all sorts of non-red sauces for awhile now.

Last edited:
Lemon, butter, and white wine reduction sauce is delicious! I like that with seafood and some vegetables especially. I like to add some grated parm, even though a lot of people say it's a no-no to put cheese on seafood. Ah well.

I've been thinking about this thread all day Morning Glory and one of the dishes that I make for my DH popped into my brain ...
Homemade Rav's with Anchovies.jpg

Dead simple!
Pasta (in this case homemade Cheese Raviolis) drizzled with really good Olive Oil, freshly ground Black Pepper, some Parm, Anchovies and some green flourish just for eye appeal.
Not my cup of tea, but he's all over that one, I'll tell you!

Back
Top Bottom