I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I
Thanks!

Here’s the funny thing: it’d be a lot easier if I just did the tracking for her, but I insist she do that herself, because she’s not planning the food, she’s not cooking the food, she’s not washing the dishes, she’s not buying the food…she has to do something besides eat the food, right? So I make sure she has a hand in tracking.

It’s actually made it worse, though, because it goes like this:

“Ok, what was in that? I need to track it.”
“Let’s see…I cooked the mushrooms in two teaspoons of olive oil, and that was about a cup of mushrooms.”
“Mushrooms…mushrooms…what kind of mushrooms? There’s cremini…white…sh-“
“Just plain white mushrooms.”
“Where’d you get them, Kroger? There’s Kroger whole…sliced…were they the organic ones?”
“Whole white, from ALDI.”
“ALDI…ALDI…there’s nothing for that. Are they under a brand name? Do you have the bar code I can scan?”
“No I threw that out when I cooked them. Just use Kroger.”
“I can’t use Kroger! They might be different points!”
(Goes off to try and find ALDI’s brand name for mushrooms)
“Ok, got it. Oil? What kind of oil?”
“Light olive oil.”
“What brand.”
“Probably California global blend. I think that’s their light version.”
“Probably? You don’t know?”
“Either that, or Bertolli…or Pompeiian.”
“Well, which one?”
“I don’t know. I decant it to a pouring bottle. Just look at those three and choose one.”
(Looks, they’re all the same points)
“Ok, how much oil?”
“Two teaspoons for the whole thing, so half that.”
“Half a teaspoon…”
“No, half of that!”
“A quarter teaspoon? Great, that’s no points!”
“HALF OF TWO 🤬 TEASPOONS! ONE 🤬 TEASPOON! ONE!”
“Geez, you don’t have to yell. Now, what kind of pasta?”

Seriously, it takes a solid 30 minutes a meal to get it to track. That’s why I try and use their recipes as much as possible.
I have repeatedly had this exact conversation with my wife, who was an obsessive tracker and loved apps in general. Thanks for the nostalgia!

My approach is somewhat simpler, though undoubtedly not optimum- step up exercise, which became much easier when I moved to a hilly place with suitable weather. I'll put in 7 miles a day of hiking and walking during the week, 10 on weekend days. That's helped me drop my weight from slightly over 100kg to slightly under 90. Target is 84kg. I hope by the end of summer to reach that...

AH OK I still have a smartpoints one, that's what I was saying. But that points feature is what makes it a WW scale.
OMG, it comes it aqua, now I have to buy it!

That’s why she can look at a teaspoon of Bertolli olive oil, a teaspoon of Pompeiian olive oil, a teaspoon of some other brand of grapeseed oil, avocado oil, etc and see that they’re all 1 point for a teaspoon, but she has to know exactly which one I used, because it has to be 100% accurate.

To me, if they’re all a point for the same amount…just pick the first one, it doesn’t matter what brand, but it matters to her.

Its funny you should mention that. That was a point I thought of making: that surely all oils are the same (unless they are mixed with water or something as a low fat spray)? I was going to say, couldn't you simply make a kind of list of all the common ingredients (like oil) and their points and use that as a basis rather than looking everything up.

Now you have explained why not! Surely she must realise that she is wasting both your time and hers by insisting on looking it up? 🤷‍♀️

I shouldn't be critical. She deserves a huge lot of praise for sticking to the diet. And I do realise that from a psychological point of view, there are various 'strategies' and 'rituals' which can help people do that, however illogical they might seem.

I would be unable to resist the temptation to mess with Mrs T.

Mrs T: What brand of olive oil did you use?
Me: Bertoli.
(Mrs T runs off to look it up, then comes back)
Me: Uh oh, I was wrong, it was Pompeian.
(Mrs T runs off in a huff to look it up)

How long do you think I could keep it going? :hyper:

CD

I would be unable to resist the temptation to mess with Mrs T.

Mrs T: What brand of olive oil did you use?
Me: Bertoli.
(Mrs T runs off to look it up, then comes back)
Me: Uh oh, I was wrong, it was Pompeian.
(Mrs T runs off in a huff to look it up)

How long do you think I could keep it going? :hyper:

CD
Well, Kroger probably sells 25 brands of olive oil.. :whistling:

This morning was kind of funny. I made Cream of Wheat, and I used to cook it in whole milk, which makes it extra creamy, with a big blob of brown sugar and a good glug of maple syrup stirred into each bowl at the end.

I scanned the box, saw it was three points or whatever uncooked for a serving, so I told her I could cook it in water, and add a splash of milk, with just a teaspoon each of brown sugar and maple syrup. I said it wouldn’t be as good, but it was be sort of close.

She hunkered down over that phone doing what I call WW math, where she checks an ingredient like maple syrup, sees what one teaspoon is, then nudges it up by eighths to see where it flips over to the next higher point - as expected, it’s usually at the 5/8ths mark.

That meant I had to make Cream of Wheat with water, but I could stir in a tablespoon (“and a half!”) of milk, a teaspoon (“and a half!”) of brown sugar (“Is it unpacked?! It has to be unpacked?!”), and a teaspoon (“and a half! Don’t forget the half!”) of maple syrup. :laugh:

Steady at 74kg/163lbs at 1,75m/5'8 feet, doing just easy push-ups, minor stretching and sit-up for basic physics.

I'm so thankful for everything

I'm 5'11" so I guess I'm allowed those extra few pounds. I'm also 61 years old, so push-ups are kind of out of the picture. :laugh:

CD

Nobody has to do push-ups, or sports in general, we're a free country. I believe the consequences of doing no sports at all are to high. what is interesting, just 200 hundred years ago around 85% of all humans were farm workes and had to move from morning to evening to survive. These genes are still in our body and I wonder how it affects the future generations with people barely moving. I try to imagine it quite neutral

Down to 111 kg/244 lbs. It's going pretty well, I'm steadily losing about 500 g/2 lbs a week. Haven't been at this weight for more than 3 years. And I don't really feel deprived at all, the way I'm doing it. Rather eat 2 meals a day than really start cutting back on ingredients.
I started out last year at 127 kg/279 lbs so I am definitely getting better.

I'm 5'11" so I guess I'm allowed those extra few pounds. I'm also 61 years old, so push-ups are kind of out of the picture. :laugh:

CD
My husband is 54 and does 150 push-ups 4 days a week...

Down to 111 kg/244 lbs. It's going pretty well, I'm steadily losing about 500 g/2 lbs a week. Haven't been at this weight for more than 3 years. And I don't really feel deprived at all, the way I'm doing it. Rather eat 2 meals a day than really start cutting back on ingredients.
I started out last year at 127 kg/279 lbs so I am definitely getting better.
That’s very impressive! You should feel great about that, and 2lbs a week is a good way to get there. Slow and steady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom