I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non starchy veg? I wonder what counts. I'd be OK with this but I'd really miss the starchy veg and don't like corn very much.

That is a shame. Can you not do white meat, tofu, tempeh though? I presume white meat is chicken?
Yeah I can do those, but those aren't suitable as a dietary foundation. They're protein after all. I'm eating more carbs because I am eating less fruits and veg due to the ileostomy. I can eat most things of the new zero list in moderation, but the wholegrains and potatoes were my foundation and are now too costly in points to keep the program working for me.

I converted my WW points into calories and started a tracker app called my fitness pal with the same amount of calories today so I can keep tracking my diet and try not to slip into bad habits.

Based on a lot of your posts, it seems your biggest enemy when it comes to weight loss is your sweet tooth. My ex wife had a sweet tooth. We came up with a nickname for her, Dessert Hound, because she could sniff out sweets and desserts from a mile away. :laugh: When we went out for dinner, we would share a dessert, not so much because I wanted it, but because she knew she would eat the whole thing if I didn't eat half.

My sister has a sweet tooth, too. I'm lucky (I guess) that I can take it or leave it when it comes to sweets. But, I know how hard it was for my ex, and is for my sister, to pass up desserts.

CD

I converted my WW points into calories and started a tracker app called my fitness pal with the same amount of calories today so I can keep tracking my diet and try not to slip into bad habits.
I used to use myfitnesspal (MFP) but because anyone can enter details for foods (let's just say Heinz Baked Beans as an example), you'd find multiple entries for the same thing. What is worse is that some would vary considerably and others were just wrong. I needed to track protein, potassium, calcium and calories. Even calories could easily be incorrect for a portion despite multiple entries for different portions. Scanning the barcode didn't help matters either.

Too many people can't convert micrograms to milligrams to grams and forget the concept of salt being 2.5 ratio to sodium (so they'd put the figure for sodium in for salt, not taking into account it's sodium chloride, not straight sodium! ).... add all of that to the same brands and tin having a different ingredients list in a different country and it became unusable. I spent more time correcting entries than actually recording things. Plus when you do your own cooking, you'll have to write up your own recipes within the app, then check each and every single ingredient against Google values or similar and I found it all too much.

Now I only use MFP to track my weight. I stopped paying for the premium edition because of their database issues (members of the public not being able to count! ).

I hope it works out better for you, but I do suggest that you don't take things at face value and double check everything against labels and other databases.

I used to use myfitnesspal (MFP) but because anyone can enter details for foods (let's just say Heinz Baked Beans as an example), you'd find multiple entries for the same thing. What is worse is that some would vary considerably and others were just wrong. I needed to track protein, potassium, calcium and calories. Even calories could easily be incorrect for a portion despite multiple entries for different portions. Scanning the barcode didn't help matters either.

Too many people can't convert micrograms to milligrams to grams and forget the concept of salt being 2.5 ratio to sodium (so they'd put the figure for sodium in for salt, not taking into account it's sodium chloride, not straight sodium! ).... add all of that to the same brands and tin having a different ingredients list in a different country and it became unusable. I spent more time correcting entries than actually recording things. Plus when you do your own cooking, you'll have to write up your own recipes within the app, then check each and every single ingredient against Google values or similar and I found it all too much.

Now I only use MFP to track my weight. I stopped paying for the premium edition because of their database issues (members of the public not being able to count! ).

I hope it works out better for you, but I do suggest that you don't take things at face value and double check everything against labels and other databases.
Thanks for your explanation, but I've got a 20 year history of tracking calories and know most numbers by heart. I preferred WW because points are less triggering for my ED. I just don't feel I have a choice now, not tracking anything is too risky.
But currently most of the time I have to force myself to eat enough, so I 'm not very concerned about gram differences especially considering I am still dealing with clinical malnourishment. If I don't trust it I will check the package or the government app.

Based on a lot of your posts, it seems your biggest enemy when it comes to weight loss is your sweet tooth. My ex wife had a sweet tooth. We came up with a nickname for her, Dessert Hound, because she could sniff out sweets and desserts from a mile away. :laugh: When we went out for dinner, we would share a dessert, not so much because I wanted it, but because she knew she would eat the whole thing if I didn't eat half.

My sister has a sweet tooth, too. I'm lucky (I guess) that I can take it or leave it when it comes to sweets. But, I know how hard it was for my ex, and is for my sister, to pass up desserts.

CD
There's no need for me to stop eating sweets, I've already lost 48 lbs. My biggest enemy is restriction- things like banning sweets. THAT made me get into a binge-restrict cycle which used to pile on the weight. I have clinically diagnosed binge eating disorder.

By allowing myself sweets in moderation and not fussing about it I've lost a lot of weight this year without triggering my ED.

My problem used to be that I would ban myself from eating certain things, then crave them, cave after a few days, and think my day is ruined so lets eat the whole tin of biscuits instead of one or two. Ad infinitum.

I used to use myfitnesspal (MFP) but because anyone can enter details for foods (let's just say Heinz Baked Beans as an example), you'd find multiple entries for the same thing.
That was actually one of the problems with the now-previous WW program.

Since points were “personalized,” a certain food item would count as different/no points for individuals. For example, my wife chose potatoes for her zero-point choice. Potatoes were free, but not for others (unless they’d chosen that as well).

She could buy something with potatoes in it, like a pre-made tub of mashed potatoes, and if it happened to be something that WW hadn’t scored themselves, officially, then a member would have the option to enter the numbers from the nutrition label, and it would get scored that way.

The problem was, those mashed potatoes might score two points if my wife entered it, but if you entered it, it might be six points, and when she would initially scan the product to see the score, she’d get 50 versions of it at various point levels, leaving her to have to enter it anyway, so she could see the point value for her, further muddying the waters for the next person who scans that product. Nutty!

Since points were “personalized,” a certain food item would count as different/no points for individuals. For example, my wife chose potatoes for her zero-point choice. Potatoes were free, but not for others (unless they’d chosen that as well).

She could buy something with potatoes in it, like a pre-made tub of mashed potatoes, and if it happened to be something that WW hadn’t scored themselves, officially, then a member would have the option to enter the numbers from the nutrition label, and it would get scored that way.

The problem was, those mashed potatoes might score two points if my wife entered it, but if you entered it, it might be six points, and when she would initially scan the product to see the score, she’d get 50 versions of it at various point levels, leaving her to have to enter it anyway, so she could see the point value for her, further muddying the waters for the next person who scans that product. Nutty!
I've noticed a considerable difference in identical items from identical suppliers across the globe. The standard Heinz Baked Beans in the UK have considerably more sugar and less tomato in them than the identical tin in Australia for example. It will look like the same product but it actually isn't. In Australia, the UK version of the product had the words English recipe on them to get the higher levels of sugar in it. Thankfully we actually prefer the Aussie version! The baked bean servings now are that small that we tend to double them when eating them. The difference between the Aussie recipe and the English recipe equates to just over a teaspoon (6g) of sugar more in the English version. I just can't wrap my head around the little things like that and the MFP system doesn't allow for regional differences like that and when you're trying to record something other than just calories, such as calcium intake or potassium (I'm always chronically low on potassium for some unknown reason, my body is stunningly good at getting rid of it, and having had osteoporosis, I need to track calcium carefully and accurately.

Right time to do the shopping and get home. I've just had a "fast food" lunch at Zambrero & Boost....

Wow... nutty indeed. But now the free foods are the same for everyone (as Windigo indicated above)?

Wow... nutty indeed. But now the free foods are the same for everyone (as Windigo indicated above)?
Yes, they’re the same. I think they have the itemized list posted on their website - I’ll see if I can find that later and share it here. It’s quite extensive at first glance, but then I realize half the items we can’t get here (pomelos, for example), and another quarter are all variations of the same thing (all the greens and lettuces), and another eighth are things that’ll never get eaten in this house, and it suddenly seems a lot less choice.

Yes, they’re the same. I think they have the itemized list posted on their website - I’ll see if I can find that later and share it here. It’s quite extensive at first glance, but then I realize half the items we can’t get here (pomelos, for example), and another quarter are all variations of the same thing (all the greens and lettuces), and another eighth are things that’ll never get eaten in this house, and it suddenly seems a lot less choice.
Well it is. The last program was based on the three choices the program had prior to that ( green, blue, and purple) but now it's based on blue only.
I was doing great on what used to be purple ( also called simply filling). But that's gone now.

MrsT has reached her first goal, to lose 50 pounds, a week shy of six months after starting WW. She lost 1.4 pounds this past week.

I think her plan is to define a new goal (probably another 15 pounds), and once she reaches that, she’ll go into “maintenance mode,” where her daily points and choices are a bit less restrictive, but allow her to maintain her weight. She’ll also be charged less each month as long as she stays within a couple of pounds of her maintenance weight.

Can't find anything other than a synopsis unless I join so I'd be interested to see it.
Here it is (it's quite long):

Adzuki beans
Alfalfa sprouts
Bean sprouts
Black beans
Black-eyed peas
Cannellini beans
Chickpeas
Edamame
Fava beans
Great northern beans
Green peas
Kidney beans
Lentils
Lima beans
Lupini beans
Navy beans
Peas
Pinto beans
Refried beans, fat-free, canned
Soybeans
Split peas

Chicken breast, skinless
Ground chicken breast
Ground turkey, 98% fat-free
Ground turkey breast
Turkey breast, skinless

Corn, canned
Corn, fresh (sweet, white, or yellow)
Corn on the cob
Popcorn, air-popped without oil, butter, or sugar
Hominy
Popcorn with salt and/or spice, air-popped without oil, butter, or sugar
Popping corn (for popping at home)

Eggs
Egg whites
Egg yolks
Eggs, hard-boiled or soft-boiled
Eggs, scrambled, made without fat
Liquid egg substitute, made from egg whites

Abalone
Alaskan king crab
Anchovies, canned in water
Arctic char
Bluefish
Branzino
Butterfish
Carp
Catfish
Caviar
Clams
Cod
Crabmeat, lump
Crayfish
Cuttlefish
Eel
Fish roe
Flounder
Grouper
Haddock
Halibut
Herring
Lobster
Mahi-mahi
Monkfish
Mussels
Octopus
Orange roughy
Oysters
Perch
Pike
Pollock
Pompano
Salmon
Sardines, canned in water or sauce
Sashimi
Scallops
Sea bass
Sea cucumber
Sea urchin
Shrimp
Smelt
Smoked fish (haddock, salmon, sturgeon, trout, and whitefish)
Snails
Snapper
Sole
Squid
Steelhead trout
Striped bass
Sturgeon
Swordfish
Tilapia
Trout
Tuna
Tuna, canned in water
Turbot
Wahoo
Whitefish

Apples
Applesauce, unsweetened
Apricots, fresh
Bananas
Blackberries
Blueberries
Cantaloupes
Cherries
Clementines
Cranberries, fresh
Dragon fruit
Figs, fresh
Frozen mixed berries, unsweetened
Fruit, canned in water with or without artificial sweeteners
Fruit cocktail, unsweetened
Fruit salad, unsweetened
Grapefruit
Grapes
Guavas
Honeydew melons
Jackfruit
Kiwis
Kumquats
Lemons
Limes
Mangoes
Meyer lemons
Nectarines
Oranges
Papayas
Peaches
Pears
Persimmons
Pineapples
Plums
Pomegranates
Pomelos
Raspberries
Star fruit
Strawberries
Tangerines
Watermelons

Artichoke hearts, without oil
Arugula
Asparagus
Baby corn
Bamboo shoots
Beet greens
Beets
Bell peppers
Bok choy
Broccoli
Broccoli rabe
Broccoli slaw
Brussels sprouts
Butter lettuce (Bibb or Boston)
Butternut squash
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Cauliflower rice
Celery
Chiles
Coleslaw mix
Collard greens
Cucumbers
Delicata squash
Eggplants
Endive
Escarole
Fennel
Frozen stir-fry vegetables, without sauce
Frozen vegetable mixes
Green beans
Green leaf lettuce
Hearts of palm
Iceberg lettuce
Jalapeño peppers
Jicama
Kale
Kohlrabi
Leeks
Mixed greens
Mushrooms
Mustard greens
Napa cabbage
Nori (dried seaweed)
Oak leaf lettuce
Okra
Onions
Pea shoots
Pickles, unsweetened
Pico de gallo
Pimientos, canned
Pumpkin
Pumpkin purée
Radishes
Red leaf lettuce
Romaine lettuce
Rutabaga
Salsa, fat-free
Sauerkraut
Scallions
Shallots
Snow peas
Spaghetti squash
Spinach
Summer squash
Sugar snap peas
Swiss chard
Tomatillos
Tomato purée, canned
Tomatoes
Turnips
Water chestnuts
Wax beans
Zucchini

Smoked tofu
Tempeh
Tofu, firm
Tofu, silken
Tofu, soft

Almond yogurt, plain
Cottage cheese, plain nonfat
Greek yogurt, plain nonfat
Quark, plain, up to 1% fat
Soy yogurt, plain
Yogurt, plain nonfat

Here it is (it's quite long):

Adzuki beans
Alfalfa sprouts
Bean sprouts
Black beans
Black-eyed peas
Cannellini beans
Chickpeas
Edamame
Fava beans
Great northern beans
Green peas
Kidney beans
Lentils
Lima beans
Lupini beans
Navy beans
Peas
Pinto beans
Refried beans, fat-free, canned
Soybeans
Split peas

Chicken breast, skinless
Ground chicken breast
Ground turkey, 98% fat-free
Ground turkey breast
Turkey breast, skinless

Corn, canned
Corn, fresh (sweet, white, or yellow)
Corn on the cob
Popcorn, air-popped without oil, butter, or sugar
Hominy
Popcorn with salt and/or spice, air-popped without oil, butter, or sugar
Popping corn (for popping at home)

Eggs
Egg whites
Egg yolks
Eggs, hard-boiled or soft-boiled
Eggs, scrambled, made without fat
Liquid egg substitute, made from egg whites

Abalone
Alaskan king crab
Anchovies, canned in water
Arctic char
Bluefish
Branzino
Butterfish
Carp
Catfish
Caviar
Clams
Cod
Crabmeat, lump
Crayfish
Cuttlefish
Eel
Fish roe
Flounder
Grouper
Haddock
Halibut
Herring
Lobster
Mahi-mahi
Monkfish
Mussels
Octopus
Orange roughy
Oysters
Perch
Pike
Pollock
Pompano
Salmon
Sardines, canned in water or sauce
Sashimi
Scallops
Sea bass
Sea cucumber
Sea urchin
Shrimp
Smelt
Smoked fish (haddock, salmon, sturgeon, trout, and whitefish)
Snails
Snapper
Sole
Squid
Steelhead trout
Striped bass
Sturgeon
Swordfish
Tilapia
Trout
Tuna
Tuna, canned in water
Turbot
Wahoo
Whitefish

Apples
Applesauce, unsweetened
Apricots, fresh
Bananas
Blackberries
Blueberries
Cantaloupes
Cherries
Clementines
Cranberries, fresh
Dragon fruit
Figs, fresh
Frozen mixed berries, unsweetened
Fruit, canned in water with or without artificial sweeteners
Fruit cocktail, unsweetened
Fruit salad, unsweetened
Grapefruit
Grapes
Guavas
Honeydew melons
Jackfruit
Kiwis
Kumquats
Lemons
Limes
Mangoes
Meyer lemons
Nectarines
Oranges
Papayas
Peaches
Pears
Persimmons
Pineapples
Plums
Pomegranates
Pomelos
Raspberries
Star fruit
Strawberries
Tangerines
Watermelons

Artichoke hearts, without oil
Arugula
Asparagus
Baby corn
Bamboo shoots
Beet greens
Beets
Bell peppers
Bok choy
Broccoli
Broccoli rabe
Broccoli slaw
Brussels sprouts
Butter lettuce (Bibb or Boston)
Butternut squash
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Cauliflower rice
Celery
Chiles
Coleslaw mix
Collard greens
Cucumbers
Delicata squash
Eggplants
Endive
Escarole
Fennel
Frozen stir-fry vegetables, without sauce
Frozen vegetable mixes
Green beans
Green leaf lettuce
Hearts of palm
Iceberg lettuce
Jalapeño peppers
Jicama
Kale
Kohlrabi
Leeks
Mixed greens
Mushrooms
Mustard greens
Napa cabbage
Nori (dried seaweed)
Oak leaf lettuce
Okra
Onions
Pea shoots
Pickles, unsweetened
Pico de gallo
Pimientos, canned
Pumpkin
Pumpkin purée
Radishes
Red leaf lettuce
Romaine lettuce
Rutabaga
Salsa, fat-free
Sauerkraut
Scallions
Shallots
Snow peas
Spaghetti squash
Spinach
Summer squash
Sugar snap peas
Swiss chard
Tomatillos
Tomato purée, canned
Tomatoes
Turnips
Water chestnuts
Wax beans
Zucchini

Smoked tofu
Tempeh
Tofu, firm
Tofu, silken
Tofu, soft

Almond yogurt, plain
Cottage cheese, plain nonfat
Greek yogurt, plain nonfat
Quark, plain, up to 1% fat
Soy yogurt, plain
Yogurt, plain nonfat

Blimey! I could seriously eat these foods and only these foods with no problem at all. Want me to suggest some dishes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom