I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have posted before, I don't generally eat "meals." I do what I call "grazing." I eat small amounts of food throughout the day, whenever I happen to feel hungry. I also eat what I am craving, and trust my body to tell me what it wants/needs. I rarely crave sweets, so I don't have to worry about eating a bunch of cakes or candies. But, sometimes I crave proteins, like a medium rare steak, and sometimes carbs, like some good pizza or a sandwich on a good, crusty roll. In the summer, I often crave fresh fruits and vegetables. The one craving I had to finally say "No" to was for adult beverages.

I have a customer who is an enigma to me. On one hand, he is a staunch religious conservative Republican Trump guy, but he follows whatever the newest dietary fad is like a stereotypical San Fransisco liberal. Gluten free, kale smoothies, whatever is the current darling of the food health fanatics. I once watched him eat all the cheese and toppings off of a slice of pizza, leaving behind the bread part. :laugh:

CD

I eat small amounts of food throughout the day, whenever I happen to feel hungry.
I’d struggle with that, because I don’t have to be hungry to eat. Left without set eating times, I eat…and eat…and eat and eat and eat.

I’d struggle with that, because I don’t have to be hungry to eat. Left without set eating times, I eat…and eat…and eat and eat and eat.

My sister is kinda' like that. She eats when she's not really hungry. I'm fortunate that I eat when I am hungry, and stop eating when I am full. Well, most of the time. Every once in a while I stuff myself, and regret it afterwards.

CD

Interesting.
I´ve been mostly vegetarian all my life, occasionally eat beef, pork - not so much chicken these days - but mostly vegetarian. I was a sport fanatic until I was about 55 - cricket, rugby, squash, jogging, tennis, until the body said " Sod the sport - have a long walk, then a large scotch". I´ve always eaten home-cooked food, prepared from fresh, because that´s what my family did. There was no such thing as "Fast Food" when I was young, unless you count Heinz beans on toast. Everything that was cooked at home (until I was 19 and went to Uni) was fresh. Vegetables came from the garden, and when they ran out, we used whatever was in season. BUT, whatever vegetable was available, we ate it. And I swear I´m one of the very few people who say "YEAH! I EAT VEGETABLES!" who will actually eat any vegetable I´m given. So many times I´ve been taunted by my cheffie mates in Venezuela about not eating meat, but when I offer them beetroot, or okra, or aubergine, they turn their noses up!
I eat when I´m hungry, period. There´s nothing in metabolism that says you HAVE to eat at a certain time. The English eat breakfast at 7am, lunch at 12pm, and dinner at 6pm. The Spanish might just manage a coffee at 10am, have "una o dos tapas" at 3pm, and then have dinner at 11pm. The Italians will eat lunch for 3 hours, then go to sleep. The Venezuelans will have breakfast at 7am - lunch at 2pm - and dinner at 11pm, if they want.
Healthy, low-carb snacks is a very modern concept. When I was a kid, we´d buy a packet of nuts, or crisps, if we were hungry. Otherwise, we went hungry. Personally, I don´t spend the day "snacking" on things, because it fills me up and makes me feel I´m not really hungry, when in fact, I am.
Eating fresh green veggies 3 times a week sounds like a diet regime. "Fresh, green veggies" are no more -nor less - important than other veggies, or proteins, or carbohydrates, or anything else. Fresh, green veggies should be part of your regular diet, not something you need to programme into your weekly food regime. Food is about balancing what you enjoy eating, every day of the year.
Juicing? I went from the UK, where fresh fruit juice was seen as some sort of treasonable aberration, to Venezuela, where you could go to an "Arepa" bar and enjoy fresh mango, pineapple, pawpaw, guava, melon, watermelon, orange, soursop, banana, strawberry, blackberry, etc.
In principle, I totally agree with you. Eat healthy, do exercise, don´t go over the top, and enjoy what you really like.
Thank you for this, good write up and some great points you made:)

After two somewhat sluggish weeks of weight loss, MrsT is back to her winning (losing?) ways…4.2 lbs lost this week. She’s now less than three pounds away from her original goal of losing 50 lbs.

Of course, she’s got a week in Florida coming up, and the whole Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year’s thing, so she may hit another slow spot soon.

After two somewhat sluggish weeks of weight loss, MrsT is back to her winning (losing?) ways…4.2 lbs lost this week. She’s now less than three pounds away from her original goal of losing 50 lbs.

Of course, she’s got a week in Florida coming up, and the whole Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year’s thing, so she may hit another slow spot soon.

What about you? You said before you were putting on weight whilst she was losing?

MrsT has lost a mere 0.8 lbs this week, so she's grumpy today. She did have some macaroni salad, potato salad, and a hot dog at a family gathering this past week, so we're blaming it on that. :laugh:

I happened to lose a pound from last week, not that I'm trying. :cool:

The big news is that Weight Watchers have changed/revamped their program, something that research tells me they do a lot of. MrsT is not happy, in that they took away customized zero-point foods, so now her all-time favorite, potatoes, she can no longer eat those at will. She's devastated.

They also ended the ability to earn points back by eating non-starchy vegetables and drinking a certain amount of water. She's also not happy about that, either.

As I detailed at the start of all this, for her, since it's a points-based system, she sees it as a serious competition to be won/lost each day, meaning, if she still has points left at the end of the day, she wins, and if she has 0 points left at the end of the day, she ties, and if she goes over her points, she loses. She doesn't do that for fun, she's very serious about it (she's insanely competitive in most things), and she liked the ability to be able to "score" points by drinking extra water or eating a head of lettuce (no, really!).

Now that she's lost that feature (and the potatoes), she's well and truly irritated at Weight Watchers, but she knew going in that it's well-known they do this every year or so. I told her, "Look, you've lost right at 50 lbs doing what you've been doing. Keep doing what you've been doing, and if you have to fudge the points a little, so be it," but that's not flying with her, because she sees that as cheating the game. She wants to win by following the rules, not cheating.

Now that she's lost that feature (and the potatoes), she's well and truly irritated at Weight Watchers, but she knew going in that it's well-known they do this every year or so. I told her, "Look, you've lost right at 50 lbs doing what you've been doing. Keep doing what you've been doing, and if you have to fudge the points a little, so be it," but that's not flying with her, because she sees that as cheating the game. She wants to win by following the rules, not cheating.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I agree that she should stick to the old WW system, since she lost 50 pounds with it.

CD

MrsT has lost a mere 0.8 lbs this week, so she's grumpy today. She did have some macaroni salad, potato salad, and a hot dog at a family gathering this past week, so we're blaming it on that. :laugh:

I happened to lose a pound from last week, not that I'm trying. :cool:

The big news is that Weight Watchers have changed/revamped their program, something that research tells me they do a lot of. MrsT is not happy, in that they took away customized zero-point foods, so now her all-time favorite, potatoes, she can no longer eat those at will. She's devastated.

They also ended the ability to earn points back by eating non-starchy vegetables and drinking a certain amount of water. She's also not happy about that, either.

As I detailed at the start of all this, for her, since it's a points-based system, she sees it as a serious competition to be won/lost each day, meaning, if she still has points left at the end of the day, she wins, and if she has 0 points left at the end of the day, she ties, and if she goes over her points, she loses. She doesn't do that for fun, she's very serious about it (she's insanely competitive in most things), and she liked the ability to be able to "score" points by drinking extra water or eating a head of lettuce (no, really!).

That's strange, nothing has changed here so far. I hope it doesn't change here, as I have done fine as well. Still 22 kgs down from where I started. Staying stable is fine so far, but like Mrstasty I am relying on my zero points a lot. Would not be happy without them.

That's strange, nothing has changed here so far. I hope it doesn't change here, as I have done fine as well. Still 22 kgs down from where I started. Staying stable is fine so far, but like Mrstasty I am relying on my zero points a lot. Would not be happy without them.
I have no idea if it’ll be a worldwide change or just US, but reading the comments on their forum, people are saying it’s essentially the Blue program from the old Blue/Green/Purple days a couple of years ago.

She has until Dec 11th to voluntarily switch over - after that, it’s mandated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom