I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My twice a month weigh in was over the weekend. Down to 61.5kg. I'm losing a steady 200g a week which may not sound like a lot but adds up to 10kg a year. And in winter I prefer not to loose too much at once.

Well done! I can't remember your height but I'm 5ft 8ins (or was, I'm probably shrunk a bit by now). For me that would be skinny. My target weight is 67k.

Well done! I can't remember your height but I'm 5ft 8ins (or was, I'm probably shrunk a bit by now). For me that would be skinny. My target weight is 67k.
I was 5 ft 6inch but due to disk problems and age am now 5ft 5½inch or 167cm.

36inch under chest, 36 inch hips, 35 inch waist... But I because of the muscle issues related to me not producing cortisol and the disease effectively being a muscle wasting disease in that I can't generate new muscle without steroids from Dr, I'm lacking muscle... But if you look at the pictures of me when I was cycling around the world (there is a page called key distances where we are both in the photos) you'll see I've always been thin or lean, not skinny. At 54kg my BMI is actually still in the healthy range at 19.2 which is considered "healthy". I'd actually have to drop to 51kg before most sites wound consider be as underweight.

I'll add that the target of 55kg is with the agreement of my doctor. She and I have been discussing it over the years I've been reducing my weight and I had noticed that I was carrying much more around the middle than ever before. I had correctly guessed that 60kg wasn't actually going to give me a healthier weight going by the ratios waist to hips and height to weight, which give a better guide on the amount of fat you are carrying. She agreed with me that 55kg was likely a better target, better being healthier for my heart etc, than 60kg. I know in the past 60kg has had me very lean, and down in size 6 (UK size 6) jeans. Currently I'm still a size 10 (UK), so you can tell the additional fat I'll carrying just from that. It's the fat around my internal organs that is my concern, not what size clothes I'm in, it just gives me a roughly guide.

36inch under chest, 36 inch hips, 35 inch waist.
For me that would be very skinny!
Currently I'm still a size 10 (UK), so you can tell the additional fat I'll carrying just from that.
That is very skinny in my book. I've never been size 10 in my life! I'm currently a size 14-16 depending on brand. I think 25 years ago that would be a size 16-18. They seem to have made sizing more generous.

I just looked at the title of this thread and thought:

I'm Watching What I Eat​

because otherwise, the dog will have it.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
(and believe me, he has!!)
Our most recent dog, Kate (whom I've mentioned on the forum before, long may she run in the hereafter), when we first got her, she'd been running wild for a month or two, so she was very, very used to fending for herself, and had terrible table manners. :laugh:

We got her just a few days before Thanksgiving 2004, and she was a wreck, as far as sociability was concerned. On Thanksgiving Day, we were having baked potatoes instead of the usual mashed, got them out of the oven, put them on the counter to cool a bit.

10 minutes later, I look in the kitchen, and there's a gangly, hairy dog, front paws on the counter, just getting ahold of a potato (still hot!). I clapped my hands to startle her...off she ran...with the potato!

Not 15 minutes later, potato emergency passed, I looked back in the kitchen, and I've got the same spindly hound, fully up on the counter like a <bleeping> goat, eating the butter!

For me that would be very skinny!
That is very skinny in my book. I've never been size 10 in my life! I'm currently a size 14-16 depending on brand. I think 25 years ago that would be a size 16-18. They seem to have made sizing more generous.
When I got ill about 15-16 years ago, I dropped down to 54kg within a few months. I was a UK size 2 by the time they had worked out what was wrong (amongst other issues, the cortisol problems are found). At 60kg I was a size 6 lower half and about a size 8 top, some times a 10. Finding clothes to fit had me shopping in teenage girls stores along with the occasional M&S store. Selected stores had size 6.

All of my mountaineering kit adding with the cycling kit had to be replaced with much smaller versions... So size 10 at 61½kg instead of the size 6 at 60kg last time round helps to tell me the fat to muscle ratio is more in favour of fat at the moment.

Brazils dietary guidelines. No crazy food pyramids, just sensible common sense.

• Make natural or minimally processed foods the basis of your diet.
  • Use oils, fats, salt, and sugar in small amounts when seasoning and cooking natural or minimally processed foods and to create culinary preparations.
  • Limit consumption of processed foods.
  • Avoid consumption of ultra-processed foods.
  • Eat regularly and carefully in appropriate environments and, whenever possible, in company.
  • Shop in places that offer a variety of natural or minimally processed foods.
  • Develop, exercise and share cooking skills.
  • Plan your time to make food and eating important in your life.
  • Out of home, prefer places that serve freshly made meals.
  • Be wary of food advertising and marketing.

Well I've re-started weight watchers, I have by now lost 26 lbs since last year but I want to speed it up a little given the fact that this is the fourth time that I've had multiple blood clots due to what is now deemed a chronic clotting disorder. Now that's not my fault, nor is it caused by weight (according to my doctor) , but we do know weight reduction is good for blood circulation. And I want to be as pro active in preventing another of these incidents as I can.
And WW have launched a 'personal points' plan, which means that certain foods I eat are 0 points adjusted to foods I like to eat a lot of. My current zero point foods are eggs, chicken and turkey, dairy, wholegrain pasta, potatoes, fruit, vegetables and oatmeal. Given that I eat all of those frequently, that should make my life on WW a lot easier. I have a plan for the year, so let's see if I can lose another 25 lb or more.
From what I've seen, with the points I have I can reasonably manage eating some unhealthy foods (vital to not slip back in my eating disorder) with a generally healthy diet. It's not super different to what I am used to, I just need to measure and weigh some more things.
I'm also getting a personal trainer for recovery aid, when my doctor gives me the green light. Because excercise definitely IS proven to help prevent clotting.

I just need to measure and weigh some more things.
That is pretty much all I did. I have had to get hubby to weigh out breakfast cereal, the yoghurt and fruit and adjust to eating a portion. I'm down on that now to 10g less than a portion.

Lunch was similar, we cut out bread and replaced it with rice cakes which worked really well for us. We've cut back on some areas but increased on others. Evening meal similar and I've banned a certain hubby of mine from eating and serving popcorn every single night of the week, to 3 nights a week. Plus he's no longer allowed to serve a bag that supposedly has 5 servings in it in 1 night (aka 2 servings). It has to cover 2 nights. I'm getting there slowly with the retraining. Smaller bowls and plates have helped considerably, though in the last month he has lapsed back to larger evening meals, but it's been a tough 2 months since his surgery.

One thing I have noticed is that since I have lost the weight I have (around 55lb) doctors take me much more seriously with pain management, my arthritis, my asthma and generally are more helpful.

It sounds like things are starting to look up for you and perhaps you'll get some more help. Fingers crossed for you. 🤞

That is pretty much all I did. I have had to get hubby to weigh out breakfast cereal, the yoghurt and fruit and adjust to eating a portion. I'm down on that now to 10g less than a portion.
That's actually something I never eat a full portion of, not because of some kind of virtue but because I apparently desire less of it than most people. When I weighed out the portion WW describes it was double the amount I normally take. That's not some kind of virtue, I just don't like lots of cereal. So I can imagine that was something you could cut back on.

One thing I have noticed is that since I have lost the weight I have (around 55lb) doctors take me much more seriously with pain management, my arthritis, my asthma and generally are more helpful.
I am sorry, but that doesn't cheer me up at all. I mean I am absolutely glad you're getting better help :hug: , but it shouldn't be this way. I know it's real, I've encountered a lot of weight stigma myself. But I find this a serious flaw in a doctor, because they should know people can't control everything in their life. Weight loss might be a calories in vs out issue, there are many more factors at play than pure dietary control. As someone with a serious eating disorder, I find this behaviour appaling. Thankfully, I have supportive and understanding doctors who don't act this way.

It sounds like things are starting to look up for you and perhaps you'll get some more help. Fingers crossed for you. 🤞
Well, yes and no. I have a dangerous chronic clotting disorder , and currently there are no meds that prevent clotting. Blood thinners should help to prevent embolisms, but there's no guarantee it will never happen because meds might not work like the ones I was on turned out to not work. With what I had, most people die the first time and I've survived four. Of course the question, is there going to be a last time soon? Does enter my head. So that means I am going to try my utmost to prevent that.

I am an optimistic person, and I am dealing with this by not focussing on any fears. 10 years of meditation and therapy has taught me how to do that, and most people IRL are surprised by my positive attitude. I certainly won't spoil the time I have by moping around, because what use does it have and I have to live with the risk that this happens again. And the good news is, my pain was largely caused by the dvt's itself so it's becoming less as we speak.
But it is a tough pill to swallow to hear this news regardless.

If I come across slightly more negative here, it's only because here's my safe space to vent a little. In real life I don't want everyone to act concerned all the time, so I don't show negativity. It doesn't help me move on.

Last edited:
My current zero point foods are eggs, chicken and turkey, dairy, wholegrain pasta, potatoes, fruit, vegetables and oatmeal.

Wow! I could easily survive on potatoes and eggs for several days. But with all the other stuff thrown in, I could survive for months. That doesn't seem right Could anyone really lose weight by eating (example only) a bowl of oatmeal with cream for breakfast topped with fresh fruit, 2 baked potatoes topped with butter and poached eggs for lunch followed by loads of fresh fruit and then pasta with chicken in a creamy tomato sauce for dinner plus another load more fruit with cream and tot up zero points? I must be misunderstanding this!

Mrs TastyReuben is on a WeightWatchers diet too

I must be misunderstanding this!
It depends on each person’s diet plan, but you can’t really just go wild and eat an unlimited amount of potatoes, and (at least for my wife) that butter would get counted, and it’s pretty steep. Cooking method gets factored in as well (steamed/baked is good, French fries are bad, even though they’re still potatoes).

and (at least for my wife) that butter would get counted, and it’s pretty steep.

Windigo is zero for dairy (I assume butter is counted as dairy) so I included it. But does zero mean literally zero however much of that item you eat? If chicken is zero, can you eat a whole (poached) chicken in one day?

Windigo is zero for dairy (I assume butter is counted as dairy) so I included it. But does zero mean literally zero however much of that item you eat? If chicken is zero, can you eat a whole (poached) chicken in one day?
I just did a quick check of WW, and they say when they show chicken as a zero-point food, they specifically mean boneless, skinless chicken breast. If it’s 98% fat-free ground chicken or deli meat, that counts, too.

They make a point to say that it doesn’t include “all other cuts of chicken,” though it’s important to note that zero-point foods can differ from person to person. That’s how they tailor a plan to each person. My wife looooves potatoes, so she had potatoes added to her zero-points list, but that means she’s going to have to compensate for that elsewhere.

I have no idea how their algorithm works to determine all that, and I don’t care to know. I just follow the plan they laid out for her. I don’t need to know how they arrived at the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom