I'm Watching What I Eat (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I have had an MRI done, and some kind of electrode-needle test thing, and have been approved me for physical therapy, that will be covered by my insurance. It has just taken more time to get all this done than I expected.

The probable focus is going to build up my core muscle strength to make up for the degeneration of the two problem disks in my lower back. The exercises for that have to build muscle, without putting more stress on those disks.

Losing ten pounds would also be helpful, too. At 5'11", 170 pounds is an appropriate weight for me.

CD
Sounds sensible to me. Increasing strength around any problem area can sometimes eliminate pain altogether, it's the commitment required to get that far when something hurts thats usually the stopper.

My back surgeon (via bupa after the nhs screwed things up) actually told me that going to Australia was about the best thing I could do for my back and the chronic pain. He was right.
(I was told they lead the way on back treatment and spinal injuries as I was to find out 5 years ago when my neck collapsed and left me with no use of my arms and hands (and needing life saving surgery before the year was out). I've had a double fusion and a vertebraectomy and reconstruction of the middle vertebrae involved. You can't tell I even have a single fusion let alone a double fusion. My patents have a friend who had the exact same surgery (minus the middle vertebrae issues) and she's now in a nursing home. )

I didn't even get that despite my right left being partially paralysed and numb. It couldn't hold me up at all and moving it was target like it being on strings and random jerky uncordinated movements. I also could not sit down at all (that was a big issue and the actual cause of the problems. ) sadly their neglect had left me with long term issues with that leg and my lower spine. At least they didn't operate on it though. All of that was down through bupa.
I'm not that surprised.
The NHS undeniably does some truly superb work and without it many people would quite simply be dead. Folk don't remember what life was like before free NHS treatment, if you weren't rich then it was live with it or die and thats what happened to many.

However when it comes to spinal issues it's stuck in the dark ages. The general tone is - whatever it is there's nothing we can do about that so go away and learn to live with it 😱

Mr SSOAP is in the midst of hoop jump number 200 to get to the end point of seeing a surgeon, we started the process a year ago and are still not at the point of being on a waiting list to see a surgeon.
The surgeon who did a superb job on his first surgery stopped doing private work and will only see people on the NHS.
Morally commendable but a total PITA!

The probable focus is going to build up my core muscle strength to make up for the degeneration of the two problem disks in my lower back. The exercises for that have to build muscle, without putting more stress on those disks.

Losing ten pounds would also be helpful, too. At 5'11", 170 pounds is an appropriate weight for me
I know when I'm at the lower end of normal weight I have much less lower back pain or chronic back ache than I do when I'm carrying even 5kg more and still inside the normal under 25 BMI range. (L5-S1 is already fused and L4-L5 is the other deformed disk I have from a birth defect.), so losing weight really does help.

Sadly my inability to put muscle back on (due to a medical condition) or strengthen what little I have left means that it is exceptionally difficult for me to make progress with core strength.

My new doctor (met him for the first time yesterday) threatened me with statin drugs yesterday because of my bloodwork results from back in January (elevated cholesterol and triglycerides), so I told him I would make some dietary changes and fix it. He's a nice guy but he was politely skeptical, likely because he's heard it before. I gotta go back in 2 months to prove that it's working. He said sometimes high cholesterol is genetic, and I said that I knew this and that my parents had high cholesterol but I never had this problem in my whole life before now (plus I was just coming off the holidays with loads of meats, gravies, and desserts) so I think it would be odd if it didn't present itself before now.

I know I can do it but I have to lower my dairy intake and increase my fiber intake, plus a little more exercise will help. Our air quality is still poor due to the Canadian wildfires but I have exercise equipment that has been gathering dust for quite some time. I am happy to say that my BP was 124/80. Lowering dairy is a problem for me because I absolutely love heavy cream, cheese, etc. I bought some fat free half n half for my coffee and had oatmeal blueberry pancakes for breakfast so that's a start. I am glad we have a garden growing with an abundance of lettuces and tomatoes. Salads daily will be a big help.

My new doctor (met him for the first time yesterday) threatened me with statin drugs yesterday because of my bloodwork results from back in January (elevated cholesterol and triglycerides)
My doc in the UK told me the same thing last year. I took the statins for a month, and ended up with chronic Sh***. She took me off them immediately, and I've been fine ever since :laugh: :laugh:

My doc in the UK told me the same thing last year. I took the statins for a month, and ended up with chronic Sh***. She took me off them immediately, and I've been fine ever since :laugh: :laugh:
With you being vegetarian/pescatarian that blows my mind. I think some seafood is high in cholesterol but maybe your condition is more a genetic thing?

My new doctor (met him for the first time yesterday) threatened me with statin drugs yesterday because of my bloodwork results from back in January (elevated cholesterol and triglycerides), so I told him I would make some dietary changes and fix it. He's a nice guy but he was politely skeptical, likely because he's heard it before. I gotta go back in 2 months to prove that it's working. He said sometimes high cholesterol is genetic, and I said that I knew this and that my parents had high cholesterol but I never had this problem in my whole life before now (plus I was just coming off the holidays with loads of meats, gravies, and desserts) so I think it would be odd if it didn't present itself before now.

I know I can do it but I have to lower my dairy intake and increase my fiber intake, plus a little more exercise will help. Our air quality is still poor due to the Canadian wildfires but I have exercise equipment that has been gathering dust for quite some time. I am happy to say that my BP was 124/80. Lowering dairy is a problem for me because I absolutely love heavy cream, cheese, etc. I bought some fat free half n half for my coffee and had oatmeal blueberry pancakes for breakfast so that's a start. I am glad we have a garden growing with an abundance of lettuces and tomatoes. Salads daily will be a big help.
Hope it won't come to that 🤞

Mine is hereditary. My parents both have high cholesterol, as does my sister. My doctor asked about it, and if my parents are still alive. I told her my dad is 91, and my mom is 89. :wink:

CD

With you being vegetarian/pescatarian that blows my mind. I think some seafood is high in cholesterol but maybe your condition is more a genetic thing?
There is very definitely a genetic side to it. If I have more than 1 egg a week, my blood test results will also have high cholesterol! Go figure. So a vegan diet and 1 egg is all I need for high cholesterol! My Dr tends to ignore it. He knows my diet.

I have started upping my vitamin C intake. It's good for a digestive cleanse. I am eating more fiber now but I get a bit bloated, hoping the vitamin C helps with that. Hope that wasn't TMI, LOL.

I'm stuck around 180 pounds (12.86 stone?). I start PT next week, so I can start going to the gym again, soon. I'm not eating too much, just exercising too little.

It will also be nice when temperatures get to where I can go for walks in the evening again. I like to go for a long walk and smoke a good cigar. My doctor knows about the walks, but not the cigars. :wink:

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom