I'm Watching What I Eat (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think that is so. One minute I fancy eating something and the next minute it seems a struggle. I'm eating things like hummus which I don't normally eat very often. I suppose I'm needing the calories.

General anesthesia has never had any affect on my appetite. It has never given me nausea, either. After my cancer surgery I wasn't able to pee for about eight hours -- I thought I was going to burst. That's the only time it had any bad affect on me.

CD

<rant mode on>

I really, really wish I had a husband who understood about calories. I know he's not trying to undermine my weight loss but I talky wish he understood calories just a little bit more.

Tonight he cooked our evening meal. He likes cooking and used to be very good at it. He's excellent for things that require you to follow the directions to the letter and not adlib. He's hopeless at tasting as he goes and knowing if it is working... so he served tonight's tea. It was airfried sweet potato chips, my usual garden peas, a fried egg and a fried plant based schnitzel. It didn't have to be fried, it void have gone in the airfryer or the oven, but he chose to fry it and used plenty of oil. He doesn't seem to understand that if I fry tofu in 1tbsp of oil, and it's 4 portions, that's fine. But frying the egg and the schnitzel in a liberal quantity of oil isn't OK. He doesn't get that oil is 120kcal per tablespoon of oil. Divided by 4 that's fine, but he's just used considerably more and it was only for 2.

I don't want to be ungrateful that he cooked and gave me a day off, but he just doesn't seem to 'get' the concept of calories at all even when I spell it out to him. 10 tbsp of oil is my entire day's calories/food & drink. I've tried putting it into easy terms but he just doesn't seem to want to understand. The schnitzel alone was 281kcals before frying (he chose them for our meal.)

:banghead:

I just don't know how to get the message over to him.

<rant over>

My morning weigh in shows exactly 1.0kg lost in 2 weeks. :dance:
This morning's weigh in shows another 1.1kg off this last week. That's 2.1kg in 3 weeks or 4.6lbs in 3 weeks.

I might reach my target weight by the time my operation is due!

Finally managed to take a good progress shot this morning.
20230130_082844.jpg

As you can see, I have a waist since about 5 kilo's ago. Yay!

<rant mode on>

I really, really wish I had a husband who understood about calories. I know he's not trying to undermine my weight loss but I talky wish he understood calories just a little bit more.

Tonight he cooked our evening meal. He likes cooking and used to be very good at it. He's excellent for things that require you to follow the directions to the letter and not adlib. He's hopeless at tasting as he goes and knowing if it is working... so he served tonight's tea. It was airfried sweet potato chips, my usual garden peas, a fried egg and a fried plant based schnitzel. It didn't have to be fried, it void have gone in the airfryer or the oven, but he chose to fry it and used plenty of oil. He doesn't seem to understand that if I fry tofu in 1tbsp of oil, and it's 4 portions, that's fine. But frying the egg and the schnitzel in a liberal quantity of oil isn't OK. He doesn't get that oil is 120kcal per tablespoon of oil. Divided by 4 that's fine, but he's just used considerably more and it was only for 2.

I don't want to be ungrateful that he cooked and gave me a day off, but he just doesn't seem to 'get' the concept of calories at all even when I spell it out to him. 10 tbsp of oil is my entire day's calories/food & drink. I've tried putting it into easy terms but he just doesn't seem to want to understand. The schnitzel alone was 281kcals before frying (he chose them for our meal.)

I just don't know how to get the message over to him.

<rant over>
I understand your frustration but I don't know how to help, I am sorry. Not ignoring your post.

I understand your frustration but I don't know how to help, I am sorry. Not ignoring your post.
I understand. It's hard to respond sometimes with anything helpful or constructive.

After 26 years of marriage, I'm simply lost as to how someone like my husband with both a BSc Hons in Physics and Maths (combined) and a Masters in System Engineering can be so utterly ignorant of /uneducated about calories and the concept in general. He simply doesn't get them or comprehend that different food groups need to be limited (such as oil) but I can pretty much munch away on carrots or cucumber all day if I wanted to. I guess I was lucky with my upbringing in a private girls school with half of my year going to either Oxford or Cambridge. Studying 5 A levels was normal. At times I'm just left scratching my head! Lol.

I understand. It's hard to respond sometimes with anything helpful or constructive.

After 26 years of marriage, I'm simply lost as to how someone like my husband with both a BSc Hons in Physics and Maths (combined) and a Masters in System Engineering can be so utterly ignorant of /uneducated about calories and the concept in general. He simply doesn't get them or comprehend that different food groups need to be limited (such as oil) but I can pretty much munch away on carrots or cucumber all day if I wanted to. I guess I was lucky with my upbringing in a private girls school with half of my year going to either Oxford or Cambridge. Studying 5 A levels was normal. At times I'm just left scratching my head! Lol.
Yes it's quite baffeling, but then again often our own life experience dictates how we look at things, I take it he hasn't got weight problems ?

Yes it's quite baffeling, but then again often our own life experience dictates how we look at things, I take it he hasn't got weight problems ?
Nothing major. He has a bit of a beer belly but only a bit. When I diet he gets to diet as well but to a much lesser extent. I ban after evening meal snacks unless it's the weekend then we split a bag of popcorn between the two of us, across 2 nights. That's our bad habit. Several of his brothers and his father have noticeable beer bellies, so I do keep an eye on it for him. That said his waist is a 32" or 33" waist for trousers, so he's reasonably good, but his family have diabetes and glaucoma, so I watch it for him (2 with type 1 (brother and nephew), 1 with type 2 (brother) and 1 with glaucoma (an aunt of his father's side)). He usually tells me the scales are lying when he stands on them! 😆

Forgot to report MrsT’s last weigh-in, .6lbs down, so she was irritated by that. I forgot to weigh myself before I ate breakfast, so I don’t know where I’m at.

This morning's weigh in shows another 1.1kg off this last week. That's 2.1kg in 3 weeks or 4.6lbs in 3 weeks.

I might reach my target weight by the time my operation is due!
Weigh in again this morning...

Despite feeling like we always pig out at the weekends, I'm back down another 1.2kg this week, so that's 3.3kg (7.3 lb) off in 4 weeks exactly.

Another 3kg will see me back to where I was before hubby's operation last winter (May 2022).

Forgot to report…yesterday’s weigh-in, MrsT down another little bit, 6/10ths of a pound, for the second week in a row.

My Christmas fat is coming off. I’ve lost three pounds since I last weighed two weeks ago, so I’m back under 180lbs again.

I'm still stable maintaining this weight, and the nurse told me my lab results show my malnourished state is cured now.

So happy with that!

For now I am focussing on keeping the weight off, I'm having a difficult time mentally and need to focus on that to not slip into old habits ( eating disorder) and so I won't try to lose more for now. Once I feel stable enough I will try again.

For now my doctor agrees keeping those 50 lbs / 25 kgs off is the most important, and also a very big improvement for my health. My doctor was REALLY impressed and complimented me a lot, she said she doesn't see many people with all my issues manage to do this so she said I already achieved a lot getting this far despite my eating disorder. So keeping it off is already a good goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom