I'm Watching What I Eat (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
<rant mode on>
A day out with my husband and I'm about double my daily calorie goal. He just doesn't get the concept of calories at all.... It where they exist. He doesn't get that half a plate of salad isn't an issue. It's the salad dressing and the other half of the plate that has the calories... how can he be nearly 54 and not understand them?

Brekkie at home 299kcal including my oil supplements. That's fine. It's my normal and it works with a light lunch, and a carrot and cucumber snack around 10-11am.

Brekkie 2 out with hubby 2 rounds of sourdough and extra jam (no dairy free bag etc) roughly 400kcal. He's bored and.... yeah if he eats I have to. I can't not order anything because he gets upset.

Lunch out with hubby (necessity due to medical appointments) . Anyone guess really I've not got a clue but I'll hazard a guess around the 500kcal mark. It involved bread again and avocado and fried kale. Hubby had chips and a burger (veggie burger)... so many more calories for him. I didn't have a single chip. :angelic:

Comes home and hands me a stick ice cream. :o_o: Last one then he's agreed to move over to containers because a serving from them is 100kcal of so less, another 240kcal... he gets 1 a week at the moment! It's hard to explain to people that saying no to him isn't an option. He gets upset and then won't have his either which upsets me and do on. I have always had a difficult relationship with food.

Evening meal and I'm starving because of next to no protein all day... the omelette I made at the weekend was calorie heavy due to the walnuts (and possibly 18 eggs between 8 portions)... plus the extra and I've not included the aubergine with tea, I forgot about that. Turns out tea was 800kcalories. Usually I only eat ½ that number.

It's his birthday on Wednesday and we're out for a meal out on Saturday. I'll be lucky at this rate to not put weight on, let alone lose any.

I can't miss meals, so doing to 2 meals a day isn't an option (medically) for me.

<rant over>
Just try harder tomorrow.

And again.
Down another 0.9kg to 61.7kg.

So 5.7kg lost since 9th January. So 12½lb lost.

I'm aiming for 60kg by my operation and then hopefully another 5kg over the course of the year (plus whatever I put back on in hospital! )
60kg is just over 130 lbs, how tall are you? I'm only about 5'1" and that would be a good weight for me at my age, but I'm about 27 lbs heavier than that.

9f831cfe06954e9240a0f036d4cec724.jpg

60kg is just over 130 lbs, how tall are you? I'm only about 5'1" and that would be a good weight for me at my age, but I'm about 27 lbs heavier than that.
Me, I'm 5 foot 5½cm or 167cm and have only just reached 50 yrs old. But I don't have a typical pear shaped female figure. I have the much more dangerous (to my health) apple shaped male figure carrying my fat around my waistline (almost non-existent) and internal organs, plus because of the fact my body doesn't produce cortisol (secondary Addison's disease), I don't have much in the way of muscle anymore.

Example: last time I was 60kg I was wearing UK size 6 trousers and UK size 10 tops. I'm currently in UK size 10 trousers and UK size 12-14 tops.

My hips are marginally narrower than my chest (both around 35 inch/89cm), but my waistline is 33½ inches/85cm. That's dangerous. Ideally the ratio should be south of 0.81. Mine isn't close.

Screenshot_20230314_070741_Opera.jpg

I have immediate family dead from heart disease.

I need to get down to about 55kg to get that figure in the "low to moderate" area. Even when I was 54kg, my BMI was still in the healthy range (above 18.5).

Screenshot_20230314_070915_Opera.jpg

This BMI calculator (Aussie BUPA) uses a slightly different scale to the one in familiar with and doesn't take into account my steroid deficiency (secondary Addison's disease which complicates matters significantly). Type 2 diabetes also runs in my family, as does heart disease.

Then there are the back problems. When my weight is below 62kg I notice a massive difference in the issues with my lower back problems and pain that crippled be 8 years ago (literally crippled me). The chronic pain is much more manageable when my weight is at the low end of the range, so less morphine needed just to sleep and get out of bed in the morning etc.

It's a balancing act. Provided we keep a check on my bone density on a regular basis (here's irony for you, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at my heaviest weight, and cleared of it after I'd lost about 20kg! Go figure) keeping my weight in the 55-60kg range is healthier for me.

Obviously it is different for everyone else, but that Addison's disease affects things considerably, as does my very high waist to hip ratio.

Me, I'm 5 foot 5½cm or 167cm and have only just reached 50 yrs old. But I don't have a typical pear shaped female figure. I have the much more dangerous (to my health) apple shaped male figure carrying my fat around my waistline (almost non-existent) and internal organs, plus because of the fact my body doesn't produce cortisol (secondary Addison's disease), I don't have much in the way of muscle anymore.

Example: last time I was 60kg I was wearing UK size 6 trousers and UK size 10 tops. I'm currently in UK size 10 trousers and UK size 12-14 tops.

My hips are marginally narrower than my chest (both around 35 inch/89cm), but my waistline is 33½ inches/85cm. That's dangerous. Ideally the ratio should be south of 0.81. Mine isn't close.

View attachment 97210
I have immediate family dead from heart disease.

I need to get down to about 55kg to get that figure in the "low to moderate" area. Even when I was 54kg, my BMI was still in the healthy range (above 18.5).

View attachment 97211

This BMI calculator (Aussie BUPA) uses a slightly different scale to the one in familiar with and doesn't take into account my steroid deficiency (secondary Addison's disease which complicates matters significantly). Type 2 diabetes also runs in my family, as does heart disease.

Then there are the back problems. When my weight is below 62kg I notice a massive difference in the issues with my lower back problems and pain that crippled be 8 years ago (literally crippled me). The chronic pain is much more manageable when my weight is at the low end of the range, so less morphine needed just to sleep and get out of bed in the morning etc.

It's a balancing act. Provided we keep a check on my bone density on a regular basis (here's irony for you, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at my heaviest weight, and cleared of it after I'd lost about 20kg! Go figure) keeping my weight in the 55-60kg range is healthier for me.

Obviously it is different for everyone else, but that Addison's disease affects things considerably, as does my very high waist to hip ratio.
I know how in tune you are with health matters and as long as your doctor(s) agree that this is the right plan, no worries I am sure. You are right, everyone is different, and your explanation of your body shape makes sense.

You should see the size and shape of many people in the US. It would scare the heck out of you. My doctor is not at all concerned about me being almost 30 pounds overweight (I actually gained back 5 of the 30 pounds I had lost over the past 3 years during the holidays). At my last checkup, he put in my chart notes "weight normal" which I found really strange because I know I am too heavy.

I plan on doing lots of walking and swimming on our 2-week trip and getting the ball rolling for me to drop a few more pounds now that spring and summer are coming. It's really hard for me to exercise in winter around here, just too cold for me to go walking, and usually it's muddy and wet at the park. Plus there must be mold in the damp and rotting leaves because it always sets my allergies off in the worst way. Well for that matter, so does the pollen during the spring and summer. Maybe I should go to the large home improvement warehouses and walk, that or the shopping mall! I despise fitness centers/gyms with those sweaty people and all of their germs, so that's not happening.

I'm about ten pounds above my ideal weight. I can feel it. I need to knock that excess off in the next week or two.

CD

Since I've been quite succesful losing weight so far, I want to share what helped me most of all.

I've stopped eating candy/and snacks in between meals as a whole. Now you may think , but I've seen you eat cake or a snack plate etc? Well yes, I eat cake or a baked good after my dinner once a day. And that's it. In the weekends I allow myself a dessert AND a slice of cake or a biscuit on my snack plate or something similar. But most of the time I only eat a treat once a day. That's what got me under 100 kg /220 lbs.

Might not be interesting or news to you lot at all, but for me it was a revelation that after a while when you stop with sweets you also stop craving them and eating one treat a day becomes much easier.

That's interesting indeed!

I calculated it an my waist to hip ratio is actually in the safe zone currently.
RiskMenWomen
Lowup to 0.95up to 0.80
Moderate0.96 to 1.00.81 to 0.85
High1.0 or more0.86 or more
Mine is 0.77 . I've always had a pretty pear shaped body and as you could see on the pics I lose fat on my abdomen first. I'm shaped like the ancient fertility godddess types. I have read the literature and apparently as a woman this is the 'safer' body type to have. (Which does not mean it isn't good for me to lose some more weight, but it's reassuring).

I'm sorry to hear SatNavSaysStraightOn that you have Addisons disease, that really complicates things a lot and seems very difficult to live with :hug:

Since I've been quite succesful losing weight so far, I want to share what helped me most of all.

I've stopped eating candy/and snacks in between meals as a whole. Now you may think , but I've seen you eat cake or a snack plate etc? Well yes, I eat cake or a baked good after my dinner once a day. And that's it. In the weekends I allow myself a dessert AND a slice of cake or a biscuit on my snack plate or something similar. But most of the time I only eat a treat once a day. That's what got me under 100 kg /220 lbs.

Might not be interesting or news to you lot at all, but for me it was a revelation that after a while when you stop with sweets you also stop craving them and eating one treat a day becomes much easier.
Sweets are not my problem, it's alcohol. If I cut back on my drinking I'd lose weight quickly. But more exercise would certainly help.

Yes, it does. Same with salt. Being on a low salt diet, my taste for salt changed. Now, a lot of restaurant and processed foods taste too salty.

CD

Congrats to all the success :bravo:
I'm right now at vacation and this week I was eating just very small amounts of carbs. Next week I want to try some fasting, but I'm not sure what's the best option for me yet.

I'm also drinking barely any soda, only when in restaurants and then I order the low cal or light stuff and make sure to switch to tea after one glass usually.

My weight was 97.5 / 214 lbs today, which means I lost 30 kg/66 lbs from where I was last year! That's a big milestone ! I think I will celebrate by buying some clothing.

If I lose another 20, I will be at a healthy weight.. seems doable now, as I already lost more!

I'm also drinking barely any soda, only when in restaurants and then I order the low cal or light stuff and make sure to switch to tea after one glass usually.

My weight was 97.5 / 214 lbs today, which means I lost 30 kg/66 lbs from where I was last year! That's a big milestone ! I think I will celebrate by buying some clothing.

If I lose another 20, I will be at a healthy weight.. seems doable now, as I already lost more!

Be careful with the "Diet" sodas. There are studies out that indicate that they make people more hungry.

Your Artificial Sweetener May Actually Make You Hungrier

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom