I'm Watching What I Eat.

Yeah that first water loss hit is a great encouragement.

I'm a bit annoyed really because the first time I tried this the weight just fell off me. Not sure why it isn't working so well this tme.

Because were getting old lol

I did this "diet" 25 years ago. I lost 35 pounds and kept most of it off until about 10 years ago. Then I slowly started putting it back on. Now I would like to lose 20 pounds, maybe even 30. I haven't obtained that weight since pre marriage days.

Screw it. I'm gonna try. I'm back to the treadmill, drinking lots of water, almost completely removed alcohol (nightly 1-3 bourbons are missed ) and pretty much just eating meat, veggies, and a little cheese.

I'm a bit annoyed really because the first time I tried this the weight just fell off me. Not sure why it isn't working so well this tme.

I was very much overweight in my 30's - 5' 10" and nearly 275lbs (maybe 18 stone?) and when I modified my diet, the pounds dropped off. I had no issue whatsoever with losing weight.

Now I'm in my 50's, and I'm 200lbs and would like to lose 10lbs. Should be easy, right?

Wrong! It won't budge! Metabolism after you hit middle age is no joke.

I'm still in my 40's , but have the disadvantages of being on steroids (pretty much have been for the last 10 years constantly, that won't change I can't live without them literally, and intermittently before that) but the big one is my mobility. 4½ years ago, I went from cycling 1,500km (1,000 miles) a month to bedbound overnight. Needless to say since then, double pneumonia and 2 major surgeries plus very lengthy stays in hospital and rehab, the last one being 4 months, I've struggled with my weight. Until then I'd always been fit, healthy, very active and slim, but heavy. Heavy to the point where nurses would weigh me, check the scales, check my BMI, look at me, and tell me they were ignoring it. It would have me down as very overweight despite me standing in front of them in head to toe in lycra and very clearly not overweight...

Now is another matter. It's still coming off. I'm still in the overweight category but I only need to lose another 3½kg to reach my initial goal. However, that isn't actually where my weight needs to be or where I actually want it to be...

It needs to be 6-8½ kg lighter. But in the last 2 weeks I've only lost ½kg in weight... darn annoying but it's very cold here, literally mid winter. Not the best time to be trying to lose weight however I must try. But I'm not being very active at the moment. For some reason, after being ill, we haven't restarted swimming. Our pool is closed for 2 months and going elsewhere is a drag with the wheelchair and getting me in and out of the water. I hate having to use a hoist to get in and out of the water and the alternative pool only had a hoist, not a wheelchair ramp into the water. Grrr. That means a lifeguard had to be involved target than us managing it ourselves. And I hate the attention it draws to me, especially as I'm actually a strong swimmer with a medium to fast pace. And we go away in 3 weeks time which is going to be hard work.

I guess I've just lost motivation. I've lost so much so far, yet the people who'll see me won't see that. They'll see that I've put weight on from when they last saw me (5½kg heavier than then! ) I've actually lost over 12½kg. I stopped being weighed (refused to be) when I reached a certain weight well into the obese category and passed the middle of that range as well. So I don't really know how much I've actually lost only that it's more than 12½kg. Darn, I'll be counting grams soon!

I'm not sure how it is going for anyone else but I'm closing in on my first target.

I wanted to get down to a weight where my weight stayed with a certain number, so x0kg to x9.9kg. I was in the (x+2)0kg to (x+2)9.9 kg range after my last hospital stay and very well into it.

Well the first target is in sight. When I weighed myself last week I was only 2½ kg off my initial goal. :dance:. I've lost between 14-15kg so far. I want to lose 22½kg in total. I'll be happy with 23kg though :whistling:.

It will be a major achievement because getting back into my first target range gets my BMI back into the normal range (something Australian medical practice likes and helps with loads of things including arguments for extended physiotherapy).

I've still got between 5-7½kg to go to get to my preferred weight and something that will help my back pain but already I'm definitely seeing a decrease in problems with pain and increased mobility. My goal is the middle of the range x5.0kg. :dance:

I remember my doc weighing me about 10 years ago, I asked how I was, he said I was the perfect weight...........for someone that's 6ft 6in. Lol. I don't eat as much as most people, but I drink a bit of liquor.

Russ

I remember my doc weighing me about 10 years ago, I asked how I was, he said I was the perfect weight...........for someone that's 6ft 6in. Lol. I don't eat as much as most people, but I drink a bit of liquor.

Russ
I was doing OK until 2 lengthy hospital stays left me +10kg and +15kg heavier.

Until then, when the UK NHS weighed me it was a case of looking at my weight, looking at me, looking at my weight, checking the charts, then concluding they just didn't work for me. They're then record me as "fitter than fit". This was an official drop down option on the nurses records. Comments such as heavy bones and heavy muscle were often thrown in for good measure. Ironically I'd be very close to being overweight, only I very clearly wasn't when I was standing there head to toe in my cycling lycra... I looked lightweight until the scales told otherwise. I doubt I'll see those days again but if I can get some of my fitness back and the weight off, I'll be doing well.

I weighed in at 200 pounds this morning. I haven't seen that weight in about 20 years. Pretty exciting for me lol.

My wife really watches her weight too much. She loves walking but she got a coughing bug that lasted 12 months. She's finally got rid of it and has now started walking again. I don't take notice of weight, she looks the same to me as when we met. I do know women are worse than blokes.

Russ

I've got to stay at 200lbs or less or my type 2 diabetes kicks in.

I spent a night in hospital in 2012 (first time ever) and since then the only time that I've seen a doctor is when visiting friends in hospital.

I spent a night in hospital in 2012 (first time ever) and since then the only time that I've seen a doctor is when visiting friends in hospital.

I'll assume you do some regular checkups? I did the whole pre-retirement stash of doc visits, including the colonoscopy thing, which involved a hospital.

I guess my other visits this past decade have been the broken ankle (I have pins and a plate down there), and what turned out to be a benign tumor in my knee - which involved multiple doc visits and some procedures to remove fluids until they figured out what the dang thing was! For the removal of that, I spent four days in the hospital. NOT FUN. (They wouldn't let me out until the drains they put in stopped oozing.)

I'll assume you do some regular checkups?

Nope.

I'm not sure if I've ever had one check up in 40 years. I was requested to go for a check-up by my company in 1990 (a BUPA thing) but they wanted me to go to London for it so I didn't bother.

A friend who had a local bar here went for a "well man assessment" in a local hospital about 2010 (aged 60). He was given a 100% clearance. He died in 2012 of esophagus cancer.

Back
Top Bottom