indian-okra-dish-served.jpg

Prep Time: 10 minutes.
Cook Time: 25 minutes.
Rest Time: unnecessary.
Serves: 3.
Cuisine: Indian.
Leftovers: Oh, boy yeah!

Indian Curry: Okra, Mushroom, Tomato, Onion
  • 1 large onion (about 250 grams / 9 ounces), peeled and coarsely chopped.
  • 200 grams / 7 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced.
  • 200 grams / 7 ounces okra / bhindi, caps removed, sliced once longitudinally, and for the longer pieces, cut further in half or thirds.
  • a pinch of asafetida / asafoetida / hing. (If you don't have, omit.)
  • 1.5 tablespoon cumin seeds / jeera
  • 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
  • 400 grams / 14 ounces diced or crushed canned / jarred tomato
  • 2 teaspoons garam masala
  • 2 teaspoons amchoor powder (If you don't have, omit.)
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I didn't need either.)
  • 3-4 fresh curry leaves, coarsely chopped. If frozen, use one or two more.
  • Cooking oil or ghee (I used expeller-pressed avocado oil; might not be Indian, but it imparts no flavor and is healthy.)
Prep everything, and to a large skillet add some oil or ghee. Bring to a medium-high temperature. Add in the cumin seeds, and cook until aroma is released. Add the asafetida. Then after a moment, add the onions.

Stir these until translucent, about 10-12 minutes.

Add mushrooms and okra, and cook until the mushrooms are done. If you need more ghee or oil, add this now, a little at a time and no more. Mushrooms tend to absorb.

Add the ginger-garlic paste, stir a minute or two.

Add the tomato, and then all the other ingredients/seasonings except the curry leaves.

When the sauce begins to simmer, reduce heat. Allow to cook at least five more minutes, perhaps ten. If the sauce is too thick for your tastes, add some water; if too thin, cook down some more.

Test a piece of okra. If and when it is done to your tenderness liking, you may add the curry leaf. Stir for another minute, then serve.

You can serve this over Basmati rice, or you can omit and top with plain yogurt (milk or coconut). Or have the best of both worlds. Or do as I did for my first serving, and have this with neither the rice nor the yogurt, for a full Whole30 experience. Yes, I ate this for breakfast today. And I have two servings left.

Last edited by a moderator:
What an excellent looking recipe. Its vegan too if veg oil or veg ghee is used. I love the use of amchoor also spelt amchaar, amchur - (mango powder) - its not so often seen in curry recipes in the West. Its an excellent 'spice' - technically a dried powdered fruit. I use it a lot in aubergine dishes. In fact, I think aubergine would work well in this dish.

I note you add the curry leaves at the end. I think I sometimes have done sometimes - but normally when I use them I add earlier on. Is there a reason they should be added later?

I love the use of amchoor also spelt amchaar, amchur - (mango powder) - its not so often seen in curry recipes in the West. Its an excellent 'spice' - technically a dried powdered fruit. I use it a lot in aubergine dishes. In fact, I think aubergine would work well in this dish.

I note you add the curry leaves at the end. I think I sometimes have done sometimes - but normally when I use them I add earlier on. Is there a reason they should be added later?
You could add them earlier; I just figured they'd keep more of their earthy goodness if added later on.

Back
Top Bottom