Recipe Involtini with Sweetcorn & Cheddar

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:40 AM
I think I'm safe in saying that this is a unique recipe. I searched and couldn't find any other involtini using this combination of ingredients. It was improvisation really - I had an aubergine that needed using up and corn happened to be the recipe challenge ingredient. I enjoy making involtini so I thought how to stuff corn into an involtini? I reckoned that an omelette would do the trick. But it needed more than sweetcorn, egg and aubergine (that would be too sweet and bland) so I added cheese - a good strong cheddar which would melt in the middle of the involtini. A spicy hot tomato sauce provided, a good contrast in colour and taste.

To be honest, I didn't expect this dish to be that good. I knew it would be OK but had no high hopes. I was very surprised. Some kind of alchemy happened in the oven. It was delicious! More than the sum of its parts, I would say. Its good served with rice or chips or on its own as a starter with some crusty bread.

Ingredients (makes 5 to 6 involtini)
For the aubergine ‘wraps’
1 x aubergine thinly sliced from stem to base
1 tbsp vegetable oil

For the tomato sauce
1/2 large onion, chopped finely
1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
A good splash of red wine
1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
Salt to taste

For the filling
2 eggs
Oil for frying
A good handful of cooked sweetcorn
Cheddar cheese

Method
To make the aubergine ‘wraps’
  1. Heat the oven to 170C
  2. Brush the aubergine slices with oil and lay them on a non-stick baking tray.
  3. Place in the oven for 20 mins or until softened. Remove and set aside. They will keep happily, stacked in a sealed box in the fridge for a few days.
To make the sauce
  1. Soften the chopped onion in oil until translucent.
  2. Add the chopped tomatoes, chilli and wine.
  3. Simmer gently for 25 mins to reduce the sauce by a third. Add salt to taste. You can puree the sauce if you wish. It will keep in the fridge for at least a week.
To make the filling
  1. Using a large frying pan to make a thin omelette from the 2 eggs. Before it sets completely, sprinkle the sweetcorn over the top and then finish cooking under a grill (broiler).
  2. Cut the cheese into fairly thick oblongs, one for each aubergine slice.
To make the involtini
  1. Heat the oven to 180C
  2. Cut the cooled omelette into shapes/strips to fit the aubergine slices.
  3. Place a piece of omelette on each aubergine slice, add the pieces of cheese and then roll up.
  4. Place the tomato sauce in the base of an oven proof dish and add the involtini. Brush to tops with a little vegetable oil.
  5. Bake for 20 - 25 mins.

Last edited:
No, I'd never even heard of it. But being creative is so much fun! That garlic corn crema, I searched and there was nothing like it out there. I too wasn't sure if it was going to be good, but it was amazing. Your dish sounds fantastic!

No, I'd never even heard of it. But being creative is so much fun! That garlic corn crema, I searched and there was nothing like it out there. I too wasn't sure if it was going to be good, but it was amazing. Your dish sounds fantastic!

'Involtini' is an Italian way of using aubergine and well worth doing. The usual filling is ricotta.

I hadn't heard of it either until I looked it up and on Wikipedia, they say it's interchangeable with roulade. I've made roulade before.

I hadn't heard of it either until I looked it up and on Wikipedia, they say it's interchangeable with roulade. I've made roulade before.

Involtini means 'wrapper' in Italian, that's all. Maybe it is the same as a roulade? Roulades and Involtini can be made of all sorts of things. Veal Involtini is another Italian traditional dish.

Involtini means 'wrapper' in Italian, that's all. Maybe it is the same as a roulade? Roulades and Involtini can be made of all sorts of things. Veal Involtini is another Italian traditional dish.

You make something I don't like or would order in a restaurant, look so inviting. I would try that and prolly like it?

Russ

Yep.
Involtini in Italian, roulade or rollatini also in English, I think. They mean the same thing usually referred to meat/vegetable shaped in “wrapper”. About Italy, when we say “involtini”, usually we mean veal or beef or chicken stuffed with something. Unless it’s about veggies, eg. we only specify “involtini di melanzane” and it’s something I make often.

Back
Top Bottom