Is fish-n-chips a finger food?

caseydog

Local time
7:50 AM
I had cajun fish-n-chips today (fried catfish and French fries). I eat fried fish with my hands, but I noticed two other diners eating the same thing with knives and forks. It got me wondering what other people do.

I eat chicken fried steak with a knife and fork, but eat classic American fried chicken with my hands.

How do you eat fried fish, or other fried foods?

CD

Here (and I'm going with observation of family for the fish side of life) it depends entirely on the setting. At the fish n chip shop it would be hands (no seating) but at home it would be cutlery at the table.

Chips for me usually end up in a chip buttie so hands. At home I eat chips with a fork when we have them, but I'll pick at them at a take on a restaurant using my hands.

So the answer is neither and all three (hands, cutlery or in a buttie).

Here (and I'm going with observation of family for the fish side of life) it depends entirely on the setting. At the fish n chip shop it would be hands (no seating) but at home it would be cutlery at the table.

Chips for me usually end up in a chip buttie so hands. At home I eat chips with a fork when we have them, but I'll pick at them at a take on a restaurant using my hands.

So the answer is neither and all three (hands, cutlery or in a buttie).

Cutlery is a word I seldom hear in daily life. It is kind of "posh." I reminds me of the Nights Who Say Ni, in Monty Python and the Holy Grail -- Bring us... some cutlery." :laugh:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIV4poUZAQo

CD

Having spent nine months in the UK, I´d say fish & Chips need to be eaten with a knife and fork. Some of the chunks of fish were almost a foot long!!

Having spent nine months in the UK, I´d say fish & Chips need to be eaten with a knife and fork. Some of the chunks of fish were almost a foot long!!

Catfish filets are big. Haddock filets can get pretty big, too. I just break them up into smaller pieces, dip them in tartar sauce, and eat them by hand. Cod tends to be smaller, at least here.

Most supermarket cod here are Pacific cod. Atlantic cod was overfished for a long time, and now there are limits on cod fishing. The cod filets I see in stores here are not very big.

CD

I've always eaten Fish `n Chips with a fork ... I like to get loads of Tartar Sauce on both the fish and the fries!
In middle school, we were taught how to eat bone-in chicken with a knife and fork (we were feed a hot lunch every day in school, K-12, for free) and you weren't allowed to pick up the chicken at any point... I suppose they wanted to teach us more than "book learnin"

When I were a lad, fish and chips were generally eaten with fingers from a newspaper, hardly ever taken home and plated. In later years I believe that fish and chips in paper, and more recently polystyrene dishes, were accompanied by a small wooden fork.
1669166683022.png

I've always eaten Fish `n Chips with a fork ... I like to get loads of Tartar Sauce on both the fish and the fries!
In middle school, we were taught how to eat bone-in chicken with a knife and fork (we were feed a hot lunch every day in school, K-12, for free) and you weren't allowed to pick up the chicken at any point... I suppose they wanted to teach us more than "book learnin"

I've eaten at some of the finest restaurants in the US, and a few in Europe. But, when I'm eating fried chicken, I eat it with my hands. It is like pizza, I have to eat pizza with my hands. In NYC, if you eat pizza with a knife and fork, you will get all kinds of attention, and not in a good way. Donald Trump eats pizza and KFC with a knife and fork. He also eats steak cooked well-done. Need I say more? He got all kinds of flack from New Yorkers about eating pizza with a knife and fork back when he was running for president the first time.

I do have to admit that when I had pizza in Napoli, Italy, people were eating it with a knife and fork, so I did the same. But, I really wanted to pick up a slice and eat it NYC style.

CD

Last edited:
We tend to bring our fish & chips home from the shop to eat it and we always use plates and cutlery (besides, its quite difficult to eat mushy peas with your fingers :laugh:). If we get a takeway whilst we out and about I'll usually use the little wooden fork to eat with, but hubby tends to just use his fingers (but he usually gets a battered sausage though so that's probably a bit easier to eat than flaky fish).

Back
Top Bottom