Is fish-n-chips a finger food?

One more - this time plaice:

B69A30B4-F341-43C2-872A-650BA77CCD4F.jpeg

One more - this time plaice:

You may or may not have had experience of Harry Ramsden's in Singapore vernplum. It's gone now but it was somewhere between the main centre and Changi. I'm going back to the late '90s.

Anyway, they served me a rectangular battered fish (which was very nice) but it was accompanied by bread and butter cut into triangles? I explained to the waitress (who turned out to be the manager) that that was incongruous - if the fish was rectangular/square then the bread should be cut similarly - how else could a fish and chip sandwich be made?

We visited a number of times subsequently and the bread was always cut square (or not cut at all) after that. I obviously had made an impression (I had told her that I was born some 10 km from the original Harry Ramsden's fish and chip shop which was built in Guiseley).

You may or may not have had experience of Harry Ramsden's in Singapore vernplum. It's gone now but it was somewhere between the main centre and Changi. I'm going back to the late '90s.

Anyway, they served me a rectangular battered fish (which was very nice) but it was accompanied by bread and butter cut into triangles? I explained to the waitress (who turned out to be the manager) that that was incongruous - if the fish was rectangular/square then the bread should be cut similarly - how else could a fish and chip sandwich be made?

We visited a number of times subsequently and the bread was always cut square (or not cut at all) after that. I obviously had made an impression (I had told her that I was born some 10 km from the original Harry Ramsden's fish and chip shop which was built in Guiseley).
I moved to SG in 2003 so would have missed it. I’d like to try it but my league is more the down-n-dirty local chippies.

Regarding the toast cutting, they had obviously been shown the correct way to cut toast as per fig. 1 below:

73F8BBF1-F411-4D6C-BFA4-17B3CAAA092C.jpeg

I love to do this. Ramsgate used to be good. There was a brewery, a chip shop and an icecream parlour along the front.

Ramsgate is my favourite coastal town. I didn't know you knew it so well - or did I? Maybe you spoke about it before and I forgot?

Edit: My apologies Herbie - I now recall you responding to former posts I made about Ramsgate. I think you said you from around there?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom