Is pineapple on pizza acceptable?

I tried to find a polite way to say this, and this is the best word I can find is "snobbery." There is far too much snobbery around "authentic" food.

Whilst I appreciate that there are certain accepted classic or traditional recipes for things (and these should of course be preserved), we shouldn't let that stop us experimenting and changing things if we want to. Think about it logically.....those classics weren't always classics: they evolved over time with the input of lots of different chefs. And even some of the classic dishes still have different techniques or ingredients depending on who you ask. I can understand the "authentic" argument when it comes to specific ingredients.....Parmigiano Reggiano, Stilton, Cornish Pasties, Jamon Iberico etc...But not when it comes to entire dishes and recipes.

The whole fruit on pizza thing....I occasionally like a ham and pineapple pizza. If the flavours go together on a plate then I see no reason why they shouldn't be put on a pizza. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall made a blue cheese and pear pizza on one of his shows which sounded rather nice too. Saying that having a different topping means its not a pizza is......well its like saying a pie can only have steak and kidney inside it, or a pasty can only be made from steak, potato and swede. They may not be traditional, but they are still pizzas.

Fruit combined with meat is actually a very old food tradition.....in Tudor times meat and fruit was often mixed in the same dish. Originally Christmas mincemeat did actually contain meat as well as the dried fruit. Even today we still eat apple sauce with roast pork.

Of course you can put whatever you want on pizza..but if we talk seriously about it, the authentic pizza is Margherita, no doubt.
Pizza Margherita is only about 150 years old: it was invented for a visit of the king and queen and the tomato, basil & mozzarella one was supposedly the queen's favourite, hence the name. Pizza (dough base with a variety of toppings) was around long before that :okay:
Like many things, the "rules" around pizza are a triumph of marketing by a special interest group (in this case the Neapolitan pizza association)

@MypinchofItaly

The 3 pizzas in Italy are Margharita, Margharita e Mozzarella di Bufala e Quattro Stagoni ( anchovies, olives, mozzarella di bufala, artichokes, fresh tomato and Proscuitto ) according to Gambero Rosso ..

I agree with you totally .. Definitely horrifying to put fruit on a pizza ..

Pineapple on pizza is definitely a touristy Usa thing just as chorizo in a Paella .. Just does not exist here.

However, one can spend their money and eat as they wish .. Lots of luck ..

Have a great day ..
Pizza Margherita is only about 150 years old: it was invented for a visit of the king and queen and the tomato, basil & mozzarella one was supposedly the queen's favourite, hence the name. Pizza (dough base with a variety of toppings) was around long before that :okay:
Like many things, the "rules" around pizza are a triumph of marketing by a special interest group (in this case the Neapolitan pizza association)

Yep, Pizza Margherita is the first official Italian Pizza (thanks to Margherita Queen).
Marketing around pizza is huge as everything nowaday but what you call "rules" I call traditions.

Last edited:
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall made a blue cheese and pear pizza on one of his shows which sounded rather nice too.

I'm not a big fan of HFW but the combo of pears and blue cheese is tried and tested and I like it - but on pizza, I'm not entirely convinced.

@morning glory When I commented on a similar conversation on another site, a certain person who is American but lives in Italy gave me a lecture about the only authentic pizza being a margherita, and that the ones I had mentioned were Sicilian and therefore not authentic.

I couldn't give a stuff. To my mind, if it's got a pizza base and has toppings, then it's a pizza (although a recipe I posted on here a while back did not have a traditional pizza base either!). I agree with @Lullabelle, but I still wouldn't have pineapple on mine.

No pineapple for me either :headshake:

I tried to find a polite way to say this, and this is the best word I can find is "snobbery." There is far too much snobbery around "authentic" food.

Whilst I appreciate that there are certain accepted classic or traditional recipes for things (and these should of course be preserved), we shouldn't let that stop us experimenting and changing things if we want to. Think about it logically.....those classics weren't always classics: they evolved over time with the input of lots of different chefs. And even some of the classic dishes still have different techniques or ingredients depending on who you ask. I can understand the "authentic" argument when it comes to specific ingredients.....Parmigiano Reggiano, Stilton, Cornish Pasties, Jamon Iberico etc...But not when it comes to entire dishes and recipes.

The whole fruit on pizza thing....I occasionally like a ham and pineapple pizza. If the flavours go together on a plate then I see no reason why they shouldn't be put on a pizza. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall made a blue cheese and pear pizza on one of his shows which sounded rather nice too. Saying that having a different topping means its not a pizza is......well its like saying a pie can only have steak and kidney inside it, or a pasty can only be made from steak, potato and swede. They may not be traditional, but they are still pizzas.

Fruit combined with meat is actually a very old food tradition.....in Tudor times meat and fruit was often mixed in the same dish. Originally Christmas mincemeat did actually contain meat as well as the dried fruit. Even today we still eat apple sauce with roast pork.

I agree there is a fair amount of food snobbery. Meals should be about personal taste, I do not like pineapple on pizza but that is taste not snobbery, if others like it fine, food should be enjoyed not fussed over.

Certainly everyone has the right to eat Pizza according to their own taste but pineapple on pizza is not part of Italian cuisine and I agree with @MypinchofItaly that it is only for tourists. I have never tasted it

Ham and pineapple pizza, Hawaiin apparently, anyone ever been to Hawaii and had a ham and pineapple pizza?

Fruit and cheese work very good! :okay: I also love to combine them....but not on pizza..
Pizza with pineapple in Italy does not exist and if it exists it is a business issue for tourists who ask for it.

@MypinchofItaly

Yes, I do cheese boards with cheese and fruit and eat an Italian Blue Vein cheese from Livorno, Tuscany which is made with cherries .. It is amazing.

I agree with you regarding pineapple on pizza .. It is for tourists and they pay for it -- and so be it ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Back
Top Bottom