Is pineapple on pizza acceptable?

I LOVE artichoke hearts on my pizza, and while I never had asparagus on mine, I'd probably like that as well.

I don't think I have had artichoke hearts on pizza, but I would be open to trying it. I love a good spinach and artichoke heart dip with some corn tortilla chips. Load up a chip, put a dash of Tabasco on it, and you have a tasty hors d'oeuvre.

CD

I don't think I have had artichoke hearts on pizza, but I would be open to trying it. I love a good spinach and artichoke heart dip with some corn tortilla chips. Load up a chip, put a dash of Tabasco on it, and you have a tasty hors d'oeuvre.

CD

My favorite pizza is the traditional Naepolitan margharita, you can instantly spot if an Italian restaurant is any good by how they do their margharita (IMHO). If there's no buffalo mozzarella on it, I don't take them seriously if they claim it's a true margharita.

I'm personally not a fan of pineapple on pizza, the sweet taste just doesn't match the other flavors. I dislike any sweet/savory combos with ham anyway.
If it's acceptable is another discussion, most foods change over time and through the culture that adapts them. I can't say I would forbid such evolution, it would have cost us a lot of great dishes.

My favorite pizza is the traditional Naepolitan margharita, you can instantly spot if an Italian restaurant is any good by how they do their margharita (IMHO). If there's no buffalo mozzarella on it, I don't take them seriously if they claim it's a true margharita.

I'm personally not a fan of pineapple on pizza, the sweet taste just doesn't match the other flavors. I dislike any sweet/savory combos with ham anyway.
If it's acceptable is another discussion, most foods change over time and through the culture that adapts them. I can't say I would forbid such evolution, it would have cost us a lot of great dishes.
Pineapple on pizza is a very controversial thing in the US, too. So, it's not our fault... this time. I understand it is more of a Canadian thing... eh?

CD

Pineapple on pizza is a very controversial thing in the US, too. So, it's not our fault... this time. I understand it is more of a Canadian thing... eh?

CD

I’m a bit confused: if it’s a Canadian thing, why it is called Hawaiian pizza?
(I can’t believe I am asking info about pineapple on pizza :laugh: )

And to confuse you even more, in Italy when you refer to Pizza Napoli/Napoletana is generally referred to the ingredients that in this case mean the addition of anchovies (and mozzarella).
“Neapolitan dough method” is referred only to the dough.
Obviously this is not necessary when you are in Napoli.

About four years ago I went to Napoli for work and I ate pizza....seriously, there is something in their pizza that is difficult to explain in words if not only starting by saying “outstanding”.

I’ve also ate pizza fritta “fried pizza” (a sort of calzone).... I was moved bite after bite...

And to confuse you even more, in Italy when you refer to Pizza Napoli/Napoletana is generally referred to the ingredients that in this case mean the addition of anchovies (and mozzarella).

About four years ago I went to Napoli for work and I ate pizza....seriously, there is something in their pizza that is difficult to explain in words if not only starting by saying “outstanding”.

I’ve also ate pizza fritta “fried pizza” (a sort of calzone).... I was moved bite after bite...

That's indeed confusing, I just saw a documentary about the protection of the Naepolitian pizza, and all they showed were margharita pizza's. But you're right, when I look at what exactly is protected it comes down to the dough. Neapolitan pizza wins official protection from EU

I’m a bit confused: if it’s a Canadian thing, why it is called Hawaiian pizza?
(I can’t believe I am asking info about pineapple on pizza :laugh: )

We can blame the Greeks!

The creator of the Hawaiian pizza, Canadian Sam Panopoulos, has died aged 83. Mr Panopoulos invented the 'pineapple' pizza with his two brothers after they emigrated to Canada from Greece in 1954. The idea to put canned pineapple on pizza was born in one of their several restaurants in Chatham in Ontario. Earlier this year, Mr Panapoulos told the BBC about the experiment that lead to the creation of what would become the most controversial pizza topping on the menu.

"We just put it on, just for the fun of it, see how it was going to taste," Mr Panopoulos said.

Inventor of beloved, divisive Hawaiian pizza dies

And why is it called Hawaiian Pizza?

“We were young in the business and we were doing a lot of experiments.” Panopoulos said he and his brothers enjoyed the contrast between the pineapple’s sweetness and the savory flavor of the ham also added to the pizza. They named it Hawaiian pizza after the brand of canned pineapple used on the pie.

I have eaten pizza in Napoli, and it is special. There is a place near my home that makes a good Napoletana pizza.They have a wood fired oven made in Italy. But, the crust is not quite right.

CD

I have eaten pizza in Napoli, and it is special. There is a place near my home that makes a good Napoletana pizza.They have a wood fired oven made in Italy. But, the crust is not quite right.

CD

Yes, their pizza is special.
Strange enough the place near your home don't make a right crust...maybe it's only a choice..but if they make a good pizza, that's ok

The Wikipedia about Hawaiian pizza is a very entertaining read: Hawaiian pizza - Wikipedia
  • Sam Panopoulos was a Canadian of Greek ancestry. He chose the name "Hawaiian" after the brand of canned pineapple they used.
  • Hawaiian was the most popular pizza in Australia in 1999, accounting for 15% of pizza sales,
  • A 2016 Harris Poll survey of US adults had pineapple in the top three least favorite pizza toppings, ahead of anchovies and mushrooms. (funny, since anchovies and mushrooms are probably two of my MOST favorite toppings for a pizza).
  • In February 2017, the president of Iceland, Guðni Th. Jóhannesson, reportedly told a group of high school students during a Q&A that he was fundamentally opposed to pineapple on pizza. He added that he would ban pineapple as a pizza topping if he could, as long as he received 30% of the under 21 vote. His off-the-cuff remark generated a flurry of media coverage and inspired those who liked and disliked Hawaiian pizza to express their opinions on social media. Celebrities shared their preferences on the matter, including Canada's prime minister, Justin Trudeau. Panopoulos, at that point retired from the restaurant business, was called upon by some media outlets to defend his creation. Guðni later clarified that he did not have the power to ban particular toppings on pizza and would not like to live in a country where the leader could ban anything he or she did not like.

The Wikipedia about Hawaiian pizza is a very entertaining read: Hawaiian pizza - Wikipedia
  • Sam Panopoulos was a Canadian of Greek ancestry. He chose the name "Hawaiian" after the brand of canned pineapple they used.
  • Hawaiian was the most popular pizza in Australia in 1999, accounting for 15% of pizza sales,
  • A 2016 Harris Poll survey of US adults had pineapple in the top three least favorite pizza toppings, ahead of anchovies and mushrooms. (funny, since anchovies and mushrooms are probably two of my MOST favorite toppings for a pizza).
  • In February 2017, the president of Iceland, Guðni Th. Jóhannesson, reportedly told a group of high school students during a Q&A that he was fundamentally opposed to pineapple on pizza. He added that he would ban pineapple as a pizza topping if he could, as long as he received 30% of the under 21 vote. His off-the-cuff remark generated a flurry of media coverage and inspired those who liked and disliked Hawaiian pizza to express their opinions on social media. Celebrities shared their preferences on the matter, including Canada's prime minister, Justin Trudeau. Panopoulos, at that point retired from the restaurant business, was called upon by some media outlets to defend his creation. Guðni later clarified that he did not have the power to ban particular toppings on pizza and would not like to live in a country where the leader could ban anything he or she did not like.

This pineapple pizza is really challenging..

My foodie friends tell me the horrors of pineapple on pizza, how it breaks tradition, how it's a horror and blight.

But me? I think it tastes great. That sweet and somewhat acidic bite goes great with the sauce and cheese, especially if you have any meats (I know Hawaiian style calls for ham, but bacon is so much better). Some people hate it, but I say, bring on the pineapple!

Back
Top Bottom