Italian cooking

It looks very tasty! Simple and filling dish, love it. I will certainly research...on a first glance, I do not recognize it as a dish often served or eaten in Zagreb, but I may be mistaken, maybe it is eaten in Istria, the coastal region north, closest to Trieste...

Trieste left a strange impression on me, we went there long time ago, kid was 1 year old, there were some nice parts, my ex husband even took a swim, but I never wished to go back, there was this very strange hotel, strange people around, a darkish place, very uncomfortable, when we entered the room, and then decided to check out and look for another hotel, we never did such a thing before or after... we did not know the city, and booked online prior, so it might have been just our lack of knowledge and circumstances...

I almost completely forgot that, I tend to forget, both good and bad :roflmao:, particularly bad...

But, I will definitely have a look. Thank you for asking, very nice of you.

I’m not sure what you mean with strange people around, Trieste is a multicultural city and with many mittle-European influences.
I haven’t find it darkish but people have different feelings.
However, the first time I have been to Prague I said “oh, looks a bit like Trieste”

I’m not sure what you mean with strange people around, Trieste is a multicultural city and with many mittle-European influences.
I haven’t find it darkish but people have different feelings.
However, the first time I have been to Prague I said “oh, looks a bit like Trieste”
It felt unsafe at the hotel itself, not the city that much, it might really just have been one of those hotels. But with a little baby and the two of us it just felt unsafe. Do not remember the details but it was something in the check in process, the key, the lock, the personnel kind of non verbally hinting each other...sometimes your gut tells you, get out of there.. it was that...

Of course there are such areas and hotels in each and every city...the other one was just fine.

Oh yeah would love to visit Friuli...

And yes, researched briefly, fritaja the local Istrian dish seems to be very popular, with asparagus...sausages...eill do more later🌼

It felt unsafe at the hotel itself, not the city that much, it might really just have been one of those hotels. But with a little baby and the two of us it just felt unsafe. Do not remember the details but it was something in the check in process, the key, the lock, the personnel kind of non verbally hinting each other...sometimes your gut tells you, get out of there.. it was that...

Of course there are such areas and hotels in each and every city...the other one was just fine.

Oh yeah would love to visit Friuli...

And yes, researched briefly, fritaja the local Istrian dish seems to be very popular, with asparagus...sausages...eill do more later🌼

If I should judice cities based on some of their Hotels where I stayed, I wouldn’t have travelled anymore :laugh:
But I got it what you mean now.

Fritaja sounds so similar to Frittata! It is made with eggs too or just like Frico i.e. egg-less? Interesting indeed

If I should judice cities based on some of their Hotels where I stayed, I wouldn’t have travelled anymore :laugh:

Fritaja sounds so similar to Frittata! It is made with eggs too or just like Frico i.e. egg-less? Interesting indeed
😂Yes indeed, we needed a bit more research probably...
Remember I liked the square with the theater and the sea outlook a lot.
Multicultural is great, I have no problems with that...
Trieste was a very popular and beloved day-trip destination throughout my youth, in particular for fashionable shoes and other items...I never took it back then though, which would have made me mOre familiar with the city in a way...😂
No trauma, will revisit Italy many times hopefully...

Let me look into fritaja now...looks yum!

With eggs. It says here free range eggs are particularly tasty and yellow in fritaja, the name indeed seems to be taken from the fritatta...all ingredients put in at the same time, fry one side, flip to the other side. I will look for recipe variations...
Looks amazing!
Fritaja

With eggs. It says here free range eggs are particularly tasty and yellow in fritaja, the name indeed seems to be taken from the fritatta...all ingredients put in at the same time, fry one side, flip to the other side. I will look for recipe variations...
Looks amazing!
Fritaja

Amazing indeed! Yes it looks like our Frittata

Recipe - Pasta alla Genovese

Thank you again for this recipe LissaC, it's wonderful! You made such a great 'Pasta alla Genovese'!

Many might think that this pasta is from Genova because of the name. Many Italians get confused too, yet this pasta is Neapolitan and not Genoese.

There are many stories that revolve around this dish and try to clarify the origin of the name, which is not always easy.

Someone says that this pasta was named after the cooks who first prepared it by Genoese cooks who were in Naples. In fact, it is said that, during the Aragonese period, several trattorias in the port of Naples were run by Genoese cooks who served this dish with meat to Neapolitan fishermen who were used to eating almost exclusively fish.

Another legend says that the name of this dish is due to the cook from Naples who first made it. The cook, whose name is not known, was nicknamed 'o' genovese', hence the name given to the pasta.

Among the original ingredients is lard, now almost exclusively replaced by extra virgin olive oil, although some Neapolitan still make it with lard too.

Even the quantity of onions to be used has been changed: the original recipe states that the weight of the onions in the recipe should be equal to that of the meat. Today, in order to make the dish lighter, we choose to use a maximum of 2 onions and prefer the addition of more celery and carrots.

Hey Mypinchofitaly, check this out. This guy in New York created a new pasta shape. Looks brilliant. I'd like to buy some and try it out. What do you think?

Sfoglini Pasta | North American Organic Grain Pastas

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTskUfIihXU

CD

Looks brilliant to me too, however I think he took inspiration from a pasta shape we already have in Italy called Mafalde or Mafaldine or Reginelle (depending on their size and region).
I like his idea though!

Back
Top Bottom