Italian cooking

Whenever I have Guanciale, I'm making carbonara. Perhaps MypinchofItaly can suggest us some other recipes with guanciale :)

This is the traditional Amatriciana recipe: tomato sauce or fresh tomatoes, guanciale, grated Pecorino and black pepper.
Traditionally they use Bucatini as pasta (the full name of the original recipe is ā€œBucatini allā€™Amatriciana) although spaghetti or rigatoni (I prefer these latter) work perfectly too šŸ™‚
Prepare the tomato sauce, add some grated Pecorino, seasoning to taste. Meantime fry guanciale, ā€œdrain itā€. Add now guanciale to the tomato sauce, stir and cook for another 5-10 mins.
Boil pasta ā€œal denteā€, drain it and add it to the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with another handful of grated Pecorino and black pepper and serve šŸ˜‰

Last edited:
Pasta Amatriciana is also good..it is with guanciale, tomatoes and onions...
I also use it as a base when I make stews or bean dishes...the fat is very flavorful..

Ah, this is another debate in Rome if onions are allowed to Amatriciana or not..the purists say no.. mmm, I personally donā€™t add them, although someone does it. Oh well, personal choice šŸ˜‰

MypinchofItaly
The members of this forum are blessed to have you. Your recipes are always amazing and amazingly authentic. You have blessed my kitchen. Thank you.

This is so sweet of you ElizabethB , you made me smile šŸ˜ƒā˜€ļø
Thank you so much!
And Iā€™m blessed to have people like you as friends šŸ’•

Sicilian-Style Pasta with Sardine, Wild Fennel and Saffron​

Recipe: Recipe - Sicilian-Style Pasta with Sardine, Wild Fennel and Saffron

Pasta con le Sarde in Italian, is an ancient Sicilian dish of humble origins that over time has become traditional and iconic not only in Sicily but all over Italy. This pasta dish is indeed a Sicilian dish, but above all it is a proper dish of the city of Palermo, in fact it is also called Pasta con le Sarde alla Palermitana.

The ingredients are sardines, wild fennel, saffron, and also raisins and pine nuts and toasted breadcrumbs. It is not uncommon to find a combination of fish with a hint of sweetness given by raisins and pine nuts, just like in Sicilian Swordfish recipe sicilian-swordfish or Sarde a Beccafico sarde-a-beccafico-sicilian-sardine-rolls

Wild fennel grows abundantly in Sicily as well as in the coastal areas of Southern Italy.

The Arab influence in the culinary tradition of Sicily is very strong, in fact this recipe was invented by an Arab cook during the Arab military campaign in the area of Syracuse.

Practically every town and city in Sicily has its own variation. In Messina they are prepared without the addition of saffron and with the final addition of almonds instead of toasted breadcrumbs.

The most commonly used type of pasta is bucatini, however spaghetti and linguine or any other long pasta shape is more than used.

Last edited:
I'd like to thank MypinchofItaly for inspiring me to go back to one of the first things I learn't to make , as a home charcuterie maker, guanciale. I haven't made it for donkeys years as I only used for a couple of dishes
!
We started a conversation and so present you a collaboration, as it really is so simple and foolproof to make (as well as being 10x cheaper than shop bought) , so I can show you how to make it, and MypinchofItaly shares more recipes beyond the standard carbonara!

Recipe & Video - How to make and use Guanciale at home - A collaboration from Cooking Bites members

I'd like to thank MypinchofItaly for inspiring me to go back to one of the first things I learn't to make , as a home charcuterie maker, guanciale. I haven't made it for donkeys years as I only used for a couple of dishes
!
We started a conversation and so present you a collaboration, as it really is so simple and foolproof to make (as well as being 10x cheaper than shop bought) , so I can show you how to make it, and MypinchofItaly shares more recipes beyond the standard carbonara!

Recipe & Video - How to make and use Guanciale at home - A collaboration from Cooking Bites members

On Saturday and Sunday there is a large Farmer's Market south of Sheridan St. in Hollywood. One of the vendors raises Berkshire hogs. We've gotten hog jowls from him. We originally bought it to make guanciale, but ended up making an Austrian version of Speck, smoked over alder. There is an Italian food distributor next door to that market that is open to the public on the weekend that carries imported guanciale.

but ended up making an Austrian version of Speck, smoked over alder.
i guess it all down to timing - guanciale is a 5 week process versus something that can be done in shorter time , like speck. I wish we had more farmers markets where we live...typically just to get a jowl is a 24 hour order through the butcher

i guess it all down to timing - guanciale is a 5 week process versus something that can be done in shorter time , like speck. I wish we had more farmers markets where we live...typically just to get a jowl is a 24 hour order through the butcher

Hmmm, I'm thinking one of the many Mexican markets around Dallas should have hog jowl for barbacoa. I need to look.

CD

Back
Top Bottom