Italian Food

@MypinchofItaly

Yes Dear .. Amazingly incredible ( Caciucco ) fish soup ..

We were in Tuscany last year .. Amazingly incredible landscapes, wines, castles and food ..

I loved the coast of Livorno, Viareggio di Lucca and the whole coast .. I love the sea, Winter, spring, summer or autumn .. The aromas of the salty Mediterranean.

We have a number of clients & closely affiliated authors, photographers and chefs in Tuscany and the Unesco Director has become a good friend too ..

We collaborate with our tourism travel agency with numerous Italian tourism agencies .. My husband speaks good Italian. He handles our inter exchanges with Barcelona and Italy ..

Ciao .. Have a lovely day ..

I'm a sea fan like you!
I like Tuscan accent: the don't pronunce the C letter and say H instead of C in some words. Example: caciucco. Haciuhho
Home: casa: hasa
Coca Cola: hoha hola
Very nice!

Is it possible to get a recipe? We make our own Limoncello because the stores don't carry our favorite brand, Toschi, anymore.

In the previous post I wrote something wrong, Limoncello is of Campania origin, Amalfi, not Sicilian.

To prepare an excellent limoncello, you need a lot of patience. The maceration of lemon peels has quite long times ranging from two to three months.

I've written it up here Recipe - Limoncello

Last edited by a moderator:
In the previous post I wrote something wrong, Limoncello is of Campania origin, Amalfi, not Sicilian.

To prepare an excellent limoncello, you need a lot of patience. The maceration of lemon peels has quite long times ranging from two to three months.

Thanks! We've been making limoncello for many years. I was hoping for a Punch recipe, please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our recipe for limoncello takes 3-4 weeks, as we use a microplane to remove the zest plus a grain alcohol, which I believe is a higher proof. The flakes of zest from the microplane macerate much faster than strips of skin. We'll let the zest sit in the alcohol for 2-3 weeks, depending on free time and patience, then strain and mix with the sugar syrup, which we try to let stand for at least another week, preferably 2, but patience doesn't always wait that long. :giggle:. I do let the sugar syrup boil for just a few minutes, as I did that once by accident and found that doing so kept the cello syrupy and absolutely no ice crystals formed.

Our recipe for limoncello takes 3-4 weeks, as we use a microplane to remove the zest plus a grain alcohol, which I believe is a higher proof. The flakes of zest from the microplane macerate much faster than strips of skin. We'll let the zest sit in the alcohol for 2-3 weeks, depending on free time and patience, then strain and mix with the sugar syrup, which we try to let stand for at least another week, preferably 2, but patience doesn't always wait that long. :giggle:. I do let the sugar syrup boil for just a few minutes, as I did that once by accident and found that doing so kept the cello syrupy and absolutely no ice crystals formed.

@medtran49 your Limoncello sounds very delicious!

Mozzarella in carrozza (Mozzarella in the carriage) is a fried starter from Campania region and is slice of bread, whole or cut into triangles, stuffed with racy mozzarella fried. Prepared in a few minutes, very tasty and could sometimes served as a single dish accompanied with vegetables.

Do you know why “mozzarella in the carriage?” This name has historical origin.

First of all it was born as a recipe to recycle the leftover mozzarella, a really original and tasty way to use this cheese.
And “in carriage” because until the middle of the last century, bread in Italy was only the round one shape and recalled carriage wheels with mozzarella between the two (wheels) of bread, thus this recipe taken name in this way. Then the homemade round bread was almost totally replaced by sliced square bread for this recipe.

Frying mozzarella in carrozza.jpg Mozzarella in carrozza.jpg

Mozzarella in carrozza (Mozzarella in the carriage) is a fried starter from Campania region and is slice of bread, whole or cut into triangles, stuffed with racy mozzarella fried. Prepared in a few minutes, very tasty and could sometimes served as a single dish accompanied with vegetables.

Do you know why “mozzarella in the carriage?” This name has historical origin.

First of all it was born as a recipe to recycle the leftover mozzarella, a really original and tasty way to use this cheese.
And “in carriage” because until the middle of the last century, bread in Italy was only the round one shape and recalled carriage wheels with mozzarella between the two (wheels) of bread, thus this recipe taken name in this way. Then the homemade round bread was almost totally replaced by sliced square bread for this recipe.

View attachment 13045 View attachment 13046

Fascinating stuff! But was this a typo?

stuffed with racy mozzarella

I quite like the idea of racy mozzarella!

This year my annual Rome trip is going to be in April and I’m already looking forward to the eating/drinking. As I go every year for a short time (for me it’s sort of to regenerate) I have my rituals.

As soon as I arrive I head to a bar for an Aperol and on my first evening have white pizza. I drink negroni each evening, and depending on the season always have an artichoke for supper at some point.

I love spaghetti carbonara from a place in Campo de Fiori (which I’m sure is not particularly authentic but so delicious). This time I’m staying for longer than I usually do, as am traveling with friends to celebrate a birthday. This will obviously mean even more geleto but also hoping to have time to eat in the Jewish quarter as I’ve read some amazing things about dishes there that I so want to try.

Incidentally I recently bought Anna Del Conte’s Gastronomy of Italy. What a wonderful food writer and what a wonderful book!

Absolutely love this thread.

This year my annual Rome trip is going to be in April and I’m already looking forward to the eating/drinking. As I go every year for a short time (for me it’s sort of to regenerate) I have my rituals.

As soon as I arrive I head to a bar for an Aperol and on my first evening have white pizza. I drink negroni each evening, and depending on the season always have an artichoke for supper at some point.

I love spaghetti carbonara from a place in Campo de Fiori (which I’m sure is not particularly authentic but so delicious). This time I’m staying for longer than I usually do, as am traveling with friends to celebrate a birthday. This will obviously mean even more geleto but also hoping to have time to eat in the Jewish quarter as I’ve read some amazing things about dishes there that I so want to try.

Incidentally I recently bought Anna Del Conte’s Gastronomy of Italy. What a wonderful food writer and what a wonderful book!

Absolutely love this thread.

First of all, enjoy your longer trip in Rome @LadyBelle ..it's always so fascinating visit it. My hubby is roman.
Campo de' Fiori has a folkloristic market during the day..
The Jewish quarter is amazing, and you'll have the Carciofi alla Giudìa, a roman/jewish specialty.
May I suggest you a typical roman osteria? It's Antica Osteria da Giovanni, Via della Lungara 41/A (Trastevere). I don't think they have a website, but you can find on fb or tripadvisor.

Back
Top Bottom