It's that time of year again: Christmas 2021

I add lights every year. I already know what I'm doing next year.

The department stores start putting out Christmas items around the third week in October, though they're not really fully stocked until about the second week of November.

That means, for those three weeks, I'm in there every two or three days, checking for whatever lights I need, because if you wait...those lights will get stocked and sold out in about three days' time, then you're stuck waiting for the next shipment. That's especially problematic this year (and last).

I tried to buy Christmas lights today, and they were sold out. :(

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

CD

I add lights every year. I already know what I'm doing next year.

The department stores start putting out Christmas items around the third week in October, though they're not really fully stocked until about the second week of November.

That means, for those three weeks, I'm in there every two or three days, checking for whatever lights I need, because if you wait...those lights will get stocked and sold out in about three days' time, then you're stuck waiting for the next shipment. That's especially problematic this year (and last).
My wife made the comment that ships are held up at sea. Everywhere.

Russ

I still don´t know whether we´re going to have a lunch on the 25th, because since all my family over here is Venezuelan, they celebrate on the 24th.
And barely register on the 25th.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
IF it happens (which it might, with about 24 hours notice), I´ll roast a turkey, roast potatoes, roast parsnip, Yorkshire pud, brussels sprouts ( with something - don´t know yet), carrots in cream, rhubarb crumble,apple pie.... and a plateful of Stilton with port.
On the other hand, I might have Fish & Chips:eek::eek:

IMG_1116.JPG
IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1120_LI.jpg

I got the front of the outside done this afternoon.
I'm happy with that.

You put mulled wine in the mug, lay one of those sugar cones on that little metal rack, pour rum over the sugar, then light it on fire, and the sugar melts into the wine.
Ahh Feuerzangenbowle :thumbsup: We've just returned from a few days visiting the Christmas markets in Cologne.....hubby always has one (or two) there :cheers:

We actually thought about bringing a couple of the mugs home with us, but never got around to it. Maybe next year...

We've not had much luck with Christmas lights this year....we got the ladder out to decorate the front of the house a couple of weekends ago. Plugged the lights in to check they work (they did) so put them up (up one downpipe, along the guttering and down the downpipe the other side). Turned them on, and on one of the strings about 30% of the lights didn't work! Rookie mistake.....we should have unwound them and checked them properly. So had to go up the ladder to take them down again (neither of us like heights).

So new lights bought....though this we splashed out on some fancy app-controlled icicle lights that you can change the colours and patterns - probably not a sensible purchase considering Christmas lights only ever seem to last a couple of years! Anyway, they went up fine the following weekend and look great

We also have a tree on the veranda this year - the veranda is new so we're still experimenting with lighting etc. Decided on a real tree, and it looks really nice just decorated with the lights that should have gone on the front of the house...at least we didn't need to buy any new lights for it! And then later on it started snowing....just perfect:
UCxVzH9.jpg

The fake tree is up in the kitchen too...this is the posh one that is only decorated with purple baubles (to match the purple and green colour scheme in the kitchen):

sipKWGo.jpg

We finally put the main tree up in the living room this weekend when we got back from Cologne.....only to find that the power adapter for the lights isn't working :cry: I don't know what it is with the lights this year??? Currently using a spare adapter which is slightly under-powered (so not all the lights work) and doesn't have a selector switch to make them twinkle. A replacement should arrive today though, and hopefully that'll work. Though knowing my luck this year I'm sure something else will go wrong. Also the tree isn't fully decorated because I haven't dried the oranges yet nor made the gingerbread decorations.

Gosh - is that still being printed? I used to get it but many, many moons ago. Ain't it quaint that its called 'Radio Times' when its TV as well or predominantly?

To be honest it feels 'right' to buy it even though we don't watch much TV, I also enjoy the advert for the famous grouse-they make me feel festive :)

Back
Top Bottom