It's that time of year again: Christmas 2021

Posting here just because it's Christmas:

I want that pud paper! :hyper:

I haven't used gift wrap in years. My ex wife wrapped EVERYTHING, even stocking stuffers. After all the presents were open, we had two or thre big green garbage bags full of wrapping paper to be tossed. What a waste of money, and trees.

I use either gift boxes or gift bags, so they can be put away and used year after year. Over the years, my family has started to do the same for most gifts, mostly because they now know how much easier it is -- not so much for the trees.

<getting off soapbox>

CD

I don´t wrap any Christmas presents any more; my wife enters her "MOMA" phase about mid-November.
All Christmas presents are wrapped exactly the same, very beautifully, with the same paper, aesthetically pleasing, etc.
I hate Xmas shopping.In the past, I´d rush, totally stressed out, to the Shopping Malls about 10 days before Xmas, just before they opened, and meticulously search every single store , looking for something for my wife. I´d go through the whole Mall, then go to another, then, the next day, go back and review what I´d seen. I´d buy this, that and the other.
Xmas day: " this is too colourful"; "I´d prefer one with long sleeves"; "I don´t know what this one would go with"; " this is not really my size".
To be honest, I got thoroughly p****d off, so 4 years ago, I said: give me a list of what you want, and I´ll see what I can find"
That didn´t work either. I´m not buying Versace, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana crap at $400 a shot for a damn stupid scarf which might get the response (above) or a $600 handbag to complement the 370 she already has.
Call me a grinch if you like; I´m happy with a good book, a bottle of Single Malt and a good cigar.:happy::happy:

In the past, I´d rush, totally stressed out, to the Shopping Malls about 10 days before Xmas
Well, that the problem right there...you're leaving it too late.

In my case, with the exception of clothes/shoes (which get the same comments you got), all I have to do is pay attention because MrsT is a frugal tightwad at heart, so all through the year, she pick up an item, or see an ad on TV, and say, "I really like that/I could really use that," and I make a note on a running list on my phone. By September, I've got probably 15 things to choose from.

For me, Christmas shopping is sort of a year-round thing - not the actual shopping, but keeping a list of what to shop for, once the time comes.

I don´t wrap any Christmas presents any more; my wife enters her "MOMA" phase about mid-November.
All Christmas presents are wrapped exactly the same, very beautifully, with the same paper, aesthetically pleasing, etc.
I hate Xmas shopping.In the past, I´d rush, totally stressed out, to the Shopping Malls about 10 days before Xmas, just before they opened, and meticulously search every single store , looking for something for my wife. I´d go through the whole Mall, then go to another, then, the next day, go back and review what I´d seen. I´d buy this, that and the other.
Xmas day: " this is too colourful"; "I´d prefer one with long sleeves"; "I don´t know what this one would go with"; " this is not really my size".
To be honest, I got thoroughly p****d off, so 4 years ago, I said: give me a list of what you want, and I´ll see what I can find"
That didn´t work either. I´m not buying Versace, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana crap at $400 a shot for a damn stupid scarf which might get the response (above) or a $600 handbag to complement the 370 she already has.
Call me a grinch if you like; I´m happy with a good book, a bottle of Single Malt and a good cigar.:happy::happy:

All I had to do to make my ex-wife happy was go to one store, and buy one gift with diamonds and sapphires on it. Nothing else mattered.

Oh, I would have the jewelry store wrap the gift. If they tried to charge me for wrapping, I'd give them the old hairy eyeball, and they'd do it for free. :laugh:

CD

DH & I pretty much stop buying each other gifts at Christmas... if see something that we like during the year, we buy it, with in reason of course.
Then, come Christmas, we just buy Stocking Stuffers, silly, fun things. Candies, toys, puzzles, that sort.

Now that we have my Mother living with us, we're trying to see our way to getting her on board with this way of gift giving.
She asked us each for our Christmas Wishlist and we both just said, we don't have one, we have what we want already.

Yeah - I get you . I´m not at all materialist. I don´t give a fig for designer clothes, super-duper sneakers, or trendy T-shirts.
My wife, on the other hand....:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

DH & I pretty much stop buying each other gifts at Christmas... if see something that we like during the year, we buy it, with in reason of course.
Then, come Christmas, we just buy Stocking Stuffers, silly, fun things. Candies, toys, puzzles, that sort.

Now that we have my Mother living with us, we're trying to see our way to getting her on board with this way of gift giving.
She asked us each for our Christmas Wishlist and we both just said, we don't have one, we have what we want already.

My mom keeps asking me what I want for Christmas. I tell her short sleeve shirts to replace some old ones that are ready for the thrift store (ot to become cleaning rags). She asks, "What else?" I'm thinking, dad just gave me his Audi, I think I'm good for this year. :laugh:

CD

i just remembered something. Tasty should like this.

There was a Public Radio host in Dallas named Glenn Mitchell that taught a night class at SMU (Southern Methodist University in Dallas) about the history of Santa Claus. My ex-wife and I took the class. It was actually fun.

Sadly. Glenn passed away in his 50s of a sudden heart attack.

Glenn Mitchell (talk radio broadcaster) - Wikipedia

CD

My mom keeps asking me what I want for Christmas. I tell her short sleeve shirts to replace some old ones that are ready for the thrift store (ot to become cleaning rags). She asks, "What else?" I'm thinking, dad just gave me his Audi, I think I'm good for this year. :laugh:

CD
My Mother has asked both my sister and I every year to send her our Christmas Wishlist ... lady, you gave birth to us, nurtured us, you mean to tell me that I have to tell you what I like? 😵‍💫 I don't get that!

Back
Top Bottom