It's that time of year again: Christmas 2021

Yeah - I get you . I´m not at all materialist. I don´t give a fig for designer clothes, super-duper sneakers, or trendy T-shirts.
My wife, on the other hand....:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:
DH & I have a lot of fun with finding little trinkets, toys, candies, stupid stuff really... we wrap them in colorful tissue paper (real cheap stuff) and then on Christmas Eve when the other isn't looking, we fill the stocking to overflowing on to the floor. One year I got him a little kid bow & arrow (soft rubber bumpers on the ends). I remembered him telling me long ago how that had been one of his favorite Christmas gifts when he as a small boy; that he chased his younger sister around the yard playing Cowboys and Indians.
He was like a kid again! He chased me around the house that day and wound up breaking a lamp :laugh: That's okay, it was real old and needed to go anyways.
I get things like those little doll sets (again, real cheap), hair ties, glitter nail polish, girlie stuff.
We don't spend alot of money, we've never set a price limit, but I'd say that we don't spend more that $20USD each.

DH & I have a lot of fun with finding little trinkets, toys, candies, stupid stuff really... we wrap them in colorful tissue paper (real cheap stuff) and then on Christmas Eve when the other isn't looking, we fill the stocking to overflowing on to the floor. One year I got him a little kid bow & arrow (soft rubber bumpers on the ends). I remembered him telling me long ago how that had been one of his favorite Christmas gifts when he as a small boy; that he chased his younger sister around the yard playing Cowboys and Indians.
He was like a kid again! He chased me around the house that day and wound up breaking a lamp :laugh: That's okay, it was real old and needed to go anyways.
I get things like those little doll sets (again, real cheap), hair ties, glitter nail polish, girlie stuff.
We don't spend alot of money, we've never set a price limit, but I'd say that we don't spend more that $20USD each.
I neglected to say, once DH & I are finished (aka bored) with our toys, I bundle them up and take them over to our local Charity Shop, where they sell all sorts of things and the majority of the profit goes to the Charity, not to admin costs - it's all volunteers.
Now, the candies and other edibles, well, they're long gone :whistling:
*Note to self: I need to find the pop-up shops of See's Candies and Hickory Farms!

My wife wraps everything here. And strategically lays them around the tree.
I always get her a voucher from her hairdresser. $100, not quite what she pays but it helps.
It comes in a xmas envelope :)

Russ

I neglected to say, once DH & I are finished (aka bored) with our toys, I bundle them up and take them over to our local Charity Shop, where they sell all sorts of things and the majority of the profit goes to the Charity, not to admin costs - it's all volunteers.
Now, the candies and other edibles, well, they're long gone :whistling:
*Note to self: I need to find the pop-up shops of See's Candies and Hickory Farms!

Hickory Farms beef sticks were a perennial stocking stuffer in our house. :laugh:

We have a See's shop and a Godiva Chocolates in the local mall. I've never been inside either store.

CD

Hickory Farms beef sticks were a perennial stocking stuffer in our house. :laugh:

We have a See's shop and a Godiva Chocolates in the local mall. I've never been inside either store.

CD
Mom always buys us a Summer Sausage and I buy her a box of Nuts & Chews for her birthday (Dec.16th) and a box of Molasses Chips for her stocking. Me, I like HF Mustards 😋
I'm not a big fan of Chocolate.

We also do the stocking stuffers, and it's all kinds of useful/goofy stuff like, trial size shampoos, dental floss, nail clippers, little fun-size candy bars, little pocket-sized word games, things like that.

I personally abhor getting or providing a list, though I understand why some people need them. My wife is terrible, among the world's worst, at gift-giving, she has nary a clue what to get anyone.

We also do the stocking stuffers, and it's all kinds of useful/goofy stuff like, trial size shampoos, dental floss, nail clippers, little fun-size candy bars, little pocket-sized word games, things like that.

I personally abhor getting or providing a list, though I understand why some people need them. My wife is terrible, among the world's worst, at gift-giving, she has nary a clue what to get anyone.

I haven't bought a new toothbrush or any pens in thirty years (or more), thanks to what my mom puts into our stockings. I haven't bought soap in years, either, but that's because of all the hotels I stay in. :laugh:

My current stash...

Soaps.jpg

CD

Last edited:
I haven't bought a new toothbrush or any pens in thirty years (or more), thanks to what my mom puts into our stockings. I haven't bough soap in years, either, but that because of all the hotels I stay in. :laugh:

CD
My wife finally had to buy soap for me a few weeks ago. Our freebies had run out. I still have shower caps, pens, sewing knits for africa.

Russ

but we failed to get the tree. the Christmas tree farm were not letting anyone into the fields after yesterday's rain despite the obvious issues this gives for disabled etc so we had to come home empty handed.
we will try again next weekend however it is also due to rain next weekend.

I think there is 1 other Christina's tree farm we maybe able to try but otherwise they are pretty much the only option.

I guess we understand given there was only 1 route open to us to get there. our main access to the world remains shut, closed even to 4x4s where the air intake (ever without the dust snorkel) is at the top of the engine and well above waist height... (I know the dust snorkel is not air tight so not watertight but it is still much higher than any immediate issues of sitting waist deep in water in a vehicle you actually have to climb into etc)

and going the other way, we can only access the highway in the wrong direction... no way to turn around because we actually don't want the highway, but a sealed back road which can only be accessed by driving through the other small town (petrol station, post office, local courts, 2 service garages, rural supplies store and a couple of cafes. no shops or supermarkets etc) .

we'd got there and back totally on gravel roads (all single track and showing many signs of water damage they ironically if they were sealed roads would have them closed...)

so, not sure what will happen regarding the tree...

;(

So far, I still haven't got into the 'Christmas spirit'. All I really need to do is transport the pre-lit designer twig from the spare room and plug it in but I honestly can't see the point. The kids aren't going to be here for Xmas lunch due to Covid (their choice as well as mine). I'll buy them each a few gifts on-line. So far we have received one Xmas card (neighbour next door).

Personally I'll be pleased when its over - and anyway TastyReuben is celebrating on my behalf!

Last edited:
DH & I pretty much stop buying each other gifts at Christmas... if see something that we like during the year, we buy it, with in reason of course.
We haven't bought each other gifts for years now.....same as you, if we really want something we just buy it. We don't see the point of wasting money on buying things we don't really need just because its Christmas. We also don't do Christmas cards. We're not total scrooges though, and do still exchange gifts and cards with close family.

I personally abhor getting or providing a list, though I understand why some people need them.
We use an online gift list with family - all of us would prefer to give (and receive) gifts that the recipient actually wants and will find useful. None of us are really into novelties.

I absolutely love Christmas, but not so much the gift aspect.....I'd actually prefer if there were no gifts and people just enjoyed spending time eating and drinking with family and friends. But I know I'm in the minority :)

Back
Top Bottom