It's that time of year again: Christmas 2021

We have a new colleague at the Manchester branch, she and her husband have 2 young children, I asked if they followed Santa using Norad tracker, she hadn't heard of it so I sent her a link. Every kid should track the big man on his travels

Can you imagine what would happen if a computer glitch made his sleigh suddenly disappear over an ocean. :eek:

CD

This is really quite shocking and sad - and on so many levels. What ever happened to feminism....? Please men, do not answer that question
It may be shocking, but at least it may give you some insight as to what a 3rd world country is like, where the average wage might be $100 a month - or less.To give you an idea, imagine the UK in Dickensian times, then transfer that image to the 21st century.For people to feel "good" about themselves, they require -no, crave - the trappings of the rich. That means fancy clothes, cellphones,designer perfumes. It makes people feel special in their own social group.
Another important thing is that Venezuelan women are very, very beautiful; they know it, they take pride in it and they make sure others know it. No Venezuelan woman would ever go out dressed in sloppy sport pants without make up. It´s just what it is.
And as for feminism - it´s far more advanced here than you might imagine!

It may be shocking, but at least it may give you some insight as to what a 3rd world country is like, where the average wage might be $100 a month - or less.To give you an idea, imagine the UK in Dickensian times, then transfer that image to the 21st century.For people to feel "good" about themselves, they require -no, crave - the trappings of the rich. That means fancy clothes, cellphones,designer perfumes. It makes people feel special in their own social group.
Another important thing is that Venezuelan women are very, very beautiful; they know it, they take pride in it and they make sure others know it. No Venezuelan woman would ever go out dressed in sloppy sport pants without make up. It´s just what it is.
And as for feminism - it´s far more advanced here than you might imagine!

Does this qualify as "mansplaining?"

CD

Anyone got their menu planned for Christmas yet?

We're going for Dutch Christmas classics this year, because my youngest stepson will be joining us and he's autistic so his diet is limited. Though it has improved massively this year!

Starter: Crayfish cocktail with lettuce, avocado, cucumber & whiskey cocktail sauce. Just crayfish with cocktail sauce for stepson. Served with crispy bread and garlic butter.

Main: Pheasant fillet with cranberry sauce, steak for stepson. With green beans for us, spinach for stepson (is the only veggie he will eat) , potato gratin

Dessert: Eton mess with raspberries for us, without raspberries for stepson.

Still I am looking forward to a cozy dinner for the three of us.

We skipped sending them one year, because we only got maybe two one year, but the year after that, I swore out loud a few times and recommitted to sending cards, and now, no matter how many or how few we get, I send them.

You know another thing going down the toilet - the traditional Christmas Day phone calls. My wife's family, once they'd moved all around, used to spend half a day on the phone, calling each other, and passing the phone all around to everyone, so we could all wish everyone a merry Christmas.

Now we just get a crappy group text. That's no good! 😠

I’m like The Grinch this year but I managed to send cards.

I do these most years and send them out en masse. Sometimes just with pics & “merry Xmas, love...” but this year was HUGE so a bit more text.

Same. 25 eur to be precise and it has cats on it so it gets compliment all the time. It's 6 years old and still looking brand new too.

I am not a shoe girl either.
Oh Im a shoe girl.

Made in England Doc Martens

Very expensive hiking boots.

Leather knee highs for winter.

Cheap shoes are terrible for feet and I own but hardly wear a selection of good quality evening shoes & dress boots.

Oh Im a shoe girl.

Made in England Doc Martens

Very expensive hiking boots.

Leather knee highs for winter.

Cheap shoes are terrible for feet and I own but hardly wear a selection of good quality evening shoes & dress boots.
That I am not a shoe girl does not mean I wear cheap shoes, thats just asking for problems.

It means I wear sturdy boots like doctor martens and wear the same pair all winter. And another in summer. And that is all I own

Anyone got their menu planned for Christmas yet?

We're going for Dutch Christmas classics this year, because my youngest stepson will be joining us and he's autistic so his diet is limited. Though it has improved massively this year!

Starter: Crayfish cocktail with lettuce, avocado, cucumber & whiskey cocktail sauce. Just crayfish with cocktail sauce for stepson. Served with crispy bread and garlic butter.

Main: Pheasant fillet with cranberry sauce, steak for stepson. With green beans for us, spinach for stepson (is the only veggie he will eat) , potato gratin

Dessert: Eton mess with raspberries for us, without raspberries for stepson.

Still I am looking forward to a cozy dinner for the three of us.
My food is all in the fridge or freezer except for the fresh veg. So yes, all our meals are planned, and our Christmas dinner is fairly similar to yours, in fact, the pudding is identical.

I am buying the stocking stuffers this year. My sister informed me we wouldn't have them because she didn't have time to do them. My mom would be heartbroken, so I am doing them. I made my first purchase today. This is an American Christmas thing. Hickory Farms doesn't have permanent stores. They have kiosks in malls for Christmas season.

HickFarms.jpg

CD

I’m not hosting but I’m filling the fridge anyway?

We always have the same on Xmas morning.

Bagels
Cream cheese
Smoked salmon
Capers
Onion/chives

Plus my husbands family tradition of ham, tomato and toast as sandwiches.

OJ, tea & sparkling wine also make an appearance.

This year Xmas Eve & Xmas (evening) dinner Will be hosted by my sister in law but I will take cold roast pork & turkey as she doesn’t cook either one.

She does make a fabulous “Mexican Xmas Eve Salad” though. I look forward to it all year.

We're not hosting this year either, which means I don't get all the fun of menu planning :cry:

I'm guessing though that there'll be smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast on Christmas day. Turkey for lunch with pigs in blankets, stuffing, veg, roasties and (following some arguments) Yorkshire puddings. And then turkey and stuffing sandwiches for tea. I'm not sure what's planned for Boxing Day - maybe a ham. Its all very traditional, but sometimes that's nice and comforting.

There will be plenty of wine, sparkling and still. We'll make sure by taking some up with us just in case 🥂

The term xmas being used openly on this forum is a bit of culture shock for me, living in the Dallas area -- the buckle of the Bible Belt. A lot of people here get seriously bent out of shape if you use "xmas." The Evangelical Christian folk get offended if you even say, "Happy Hollidays." They assume you are a member of the army waging the "War on Christmas." That is really a "thing" here -- a completely made up "War on Christmas." :eek:

CD

The term xmas being used openly on this forum is a bit of culture shock for me, living in the Dallas area -- the buckle of the Bible Belt. A lot of people here get seriously bent out of shape if you use "xmas." The Evangelical Christian folk get offended if you even say, "Happy Hollidays." They assume you are a member of the army waging the "War on Christmas." That is really a "thing" here -- a completely made up "War on Christmas." :eek:

CD

The origin of the word 'Xmas' is more Christian than they might think: Why Is "Christmas" Abbreviated As "Xmas"?

Back
Top Bottom