Its that time of year again: Thanksgiving, USA

Hi all and Happy Thanksgiving.
First the sour news. Hubby and I are both handicapped, so we wanted something easy this year. Got a 3.5 lb. frozen boneless turkey breast. Talk about a joke. Frozen, the breast just fit into our 6Qt Crockpot so we planned to cook it in that. Defrosted, we found a HUGE gravy packet inside, plus a lot of turkey skin stuffed inside also. I think we ended up with mabe 1-1/2 lbs of actual turkey meat. I think we would have gotten more meat from a whole chicken. Oh well.

Now the better news... We're having the turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, brussel sprouts, and gravy. Also have an 11 lb. meatloaf thats also made in the crockpot and Kings Hawaiian Rolls. Pies include apple pie and sweet potato pie. Planning on a coffee cake Friday.

Hey! Great to see you back.

Table is set:

Well, I managed to time everything pretty much perfectly. I had the kitchen to myself for the last hour, while my sister picked up my parents. I had everything on the table thirty minutes after they got here -- just as planned.

It was a very good turkey. A brand we've never had before. It came from HEB -- a store we are getting in Frisco in the Spring. I can't wait -- they are WAY better than Kroger. The turkey didn't have one of those stupid pop-up doneness things, so I used my bluetooth thermometer, and the bird was not overcooked, for a change.

No pictures (sorry TVC and racal), I was too busy.

CD

The turkey needs to rest, so it will work out okay.

CD
TBH, I was more concerned about drying out the stuffing! That's my favorite bit.

Anyway, the sides:

That's stuffing, the gravy, and the sweet potatoes.

I kind of butchered the sweet potatoes, getting them out of the plastic oven-safe container they came in. I swear, there were some apples in there, and with the brown sugar, it tasted more like an apple crisp/crumble. I didn't mind it much at all.

Mashed potatoes and the cheesy broccoli-rice casserole. If I butchered the sweet potatoes, I positively annihilated the broccoli dish!

Ready to eat:

I know I've been griping the last couple of days about the meal, but I must say...it wasn't bad. At all. I'd give them a solid B grade. I asked MrsT if she'd have it again and she was on board with that, so we may be doing this again next year.

I will say, this was about he right amount of effort I'd ever want to extend on the day itself. Since this was a precooked-and-reheat meal, I may make everything myself next year and just reheat that.

All in all, quite happy, though, and certainly full. 🙊

Well, I managed to time everything pretty much perfectly. I had the kitchen to myself for the last hour, while my sister picked up my parents. I had everything on the table thirty minutes after they got here -- just as planned.

It was a very good turkey. A brand we've never had before. It came from HEB -- a store we are getting in Frisco in the Spring. I can't wait -- they are WAY better than Kroger. The turkey didn't have one of those stupid pop-up doneness things, so I used my bluetooth thermometer, and the bird was not overcooked, for a change.

No pictures (sorry TVC and racal), I was too busy.

CD

I know how much it means to you guys, no drama about pics.
Someone will put pics up, I can count on TastyReuben

Russ

I know how much it means to you guys, no drama about pics.
Someone will put pics up, I can count on TastyReuben

Russ

Thanksgiving here is a day for eating too much, drinking a lot of beer, and watching (American) football on TV -- and taking an after eating nap. Half of Americans have Friday off, too, and they can recover. :laugh:

CD

Back
Top Bottom