I've never cooked it... but I'd like to!

Oh, ox tail are expensive here. We usually try to wait and buy them on the rare occasions when they go on sale. They are 1 of the formerly "cheap" cuts that chefs started using, the public became aware, and the price went UPPP!

I can't really think of anything off top of my head. My top choice would have been foie gras, but Craig bought me some for my birthday a couple years ago. I know something he will pick, but we just can't get them, I've looked in the past, guess I should look again. Really going to have to think about this.

Ohh, Ohh, I just remembered, Kobe or Wagyu rib eye is a want. Maybe I'll get one of those lovely thick Wagyu rib eyes for my birthday dinner now that we've found a place to buy it locally. It's not cheap, though is a bit cheaper than the foie gras he got me in the past. On a roll now, same place has pheasant and whole goose too, which I've always wanted to try. We already had the quail. All of above were due to local availability and price when you have to add in overnight shipping.

As far as plant world, we've had ramps and fiddleheads, loved the ramps (better really like garlic taste/smell), the fiddleheads were meh, take them or leave them. We've had huitlacoche, definitely didn't see what the buzz about that was. We've had Italian porcini, though I certainly wouldn't mind more of them. Wouldn't say no to more white or even black truffles either.

I would really like to try romanesco, but I haven't been able to find it locally. Maybe I'll try growing some in the fall as it will soon be too hot here for most anything other than native plants.

Kobe or Wagyu rib eye is a want. Maybe I'll get one of those lovely thick Wagyu rib eyes for my birthday dinner now that we've found a place to buy it locally. It's not cheap, though is a bit cheaper than the foie gras he got me in the past.

I've had foie gras lots of times in France. Its a bit rich for my taste. Wagyu is also available now in the UK and I would like to try it.

Romanesco - you mean this? Its very pretty and also quite easy to get here but it tastes like cauliflower and broccoli. Nothing spectacular. Its great in food photos!

ROMANESCO-2.jpg

Last edited:
I heard about a newly-invented vegetable called caulilini on the News. It looks like a white lacy version of broccoli.

Brandade. Want to taste it first, but haven't seen it on a menu here.

Last edited:
Again? Did I miss something?

Oh - 'Again' was just referring to @medtran49's post above about foie gras which I also ate in France. See my post above here.

I was meaning that both of you had mentioned things that I'd eaten in France. I didn't mean 'again' as a negative comment!

And I guess I'm lucky to have spent a lot of time in France in the past.

Last edited:
There are some great French restaurants here, but I've not seen Brandade on the menus. Perhaps it's not in fashion anymore.

Oh - 'Again' was just referring to @medtran49's post above about foie gras which I also ate in France. See my post above here.

I was meaning that both of you had mentioned things that I'd eaten in France. I didn't mean 'again' as a negative comment!

And I guess I'm lucky to have spent a lot of time in France in the past.

Got it. :)

You should be on Masterchef, great presentation and I would love to try that.

Russ

Thank you - but I'm just mad, obsessive and alone in my own kitchen. I seriously wouldn't last 5 minutes on Masterchef. The thought of anyone watching me makes me panic. I can't even cook if my family are in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom