I've never cooked it... but I'd like to!

Thank you - but I'm just mad, obsessive and alone in my own kitchen. I seriously wouldn't last 5 minutes on Masterchef. The thought of anyone watching me makes me panic. I can't even cook if my family are in the kitchen.

I cook with people watching and talking to me all at the same time, my kitchen has a six seater table and chairs so it like 6 ft from the oven. The kitchen flows onto the down stairs lounge. It's quite a big area. Friends will watch me make and serve between 2 and 4 courses. I am pretty outgoing though and love talking. I made my living from talking. ( selling).

Russ

I actually can't think of anything that I'd like to cook but haven't - I'm sure its not because I've cooked loads of things, its probably just a lack of imagination on my part :p: I'll often to say to hubby that I'm more than happy to cook dinner, just tell me what you want me to cook......most of the time I hate the deciding what to cook part :giggle: (that's why I love this forum....it gives me inspiration!)

There are some great French restaurants here, but I've not seen Brandade on the menus. Perhaps it's not in fashion anymore.
I believe its an old regional dish from southern France/northern Spain - its not something I've ever seen on a menu or tried either. Though I might look out for it later on in the year as we're planning a trip to that area.

And I guess I'm lucky to have spent a lot of time in France in the past.
Yes me too.....I first tried foie gras in Cahors (it would have been rude not to :giggle:) and I loved it.....sooo expensive though.

I cook with people watching and talking to me all at the same time, my kitchen has a six seater table and chairs so it like 6 ft from the oven. The kitchen flows onto the down stairs lounge. It's quite a big area. Friends will watch me make and serve between 2 and 4 courses. I am pretty outgoing though and love talking. I made my living from talking. ( selling).

Russ

This sounds like my nightmare!

I believe its an old regional dish from southern France/northern Spain - its not something I've ever seen on a menu or tried either. Though I might look out for it later on in the year as we're planning a trip to that area

Yes - that is where I ate it - in Southern France (Cap d'Agde to be precise). Its fuller title is Brandade de Morue.

Russ
Didn't I see you at Benihana's? :cook::p:

Last edited:
A whole fish. They take so much preparation and to be honest I don't have a clue how to cook it properly despite finding lots of recipes. I will leave it to the chef in a restaurant.

A whole fish. They take so much preparation and to be honest I don't have a clue how to cook it properly despite finding lots of recipes. I will leave it to the chef in a restaurant.

If you buy from a fishmonger (or fish counter in the supermarket) they will gut and descale for you. Then its simple as can be. In fact a whole fish is probably one of the easiest things to cook. The only danger, as with any kind of fish is overcooking.

This is how simple: Cram a load of herbs into the cavity, sprinkle with lemon juice and salt and bake in the oven.

If you buy from a fishmonger (or fish counter in the supermarket) they will gut and descale for you. Then its simple as can be. In fact a whole fish is probably one of the easiest things to cook. The only danger, as with any kind of fish is overcooking.

This is how simple: Cram a load of herbs into the cavity, sprinkle with lemon juice and salt and bake in the oven.

A lady friend of mine always orders the whole fish when we go Chinese. It looks beautiful and she rates it highly. Not for me, but I do like blue cod.

Russ

A lady friend of mine always orders the whole fish when we go Chinese. It looks beautiful and she rates it highly. Not for me, but I do like blue cod.

Russ

Forgot, this restaurant has live cod and crayfish in tanks at the front door. It's called Daphne's Chinese. It's my fave Chinese restaurant. They cook lemon chicken especially for me. I think daphne likes me,lol.

Russ

I would love to cook Mountain Oysters (bull balls) or Lamb Fries (lamb balls)
Also Sweet Breads ( Thymus gland)
When I was young Dad would make Debris
A very rich stew made from cast off organ meat
Brain, heart, liver, kidney, tongue, Thymus and Chitlens
At the time organ meat was very cheap and considered garbage- Debris .
To attempt to make Debris today would be very costly
Dad also made Hog's Head Cheese
Basically a turine made from the meat, fat and gelatin from the head of a hog boiled in seasoned water
Hog Head Cheese is available in numerous markets. Fairly good
Nothing like Dad made.
Wish I had his old recipes

I would love to cook Mountain Oysters (bull balls) or Lamb Fries (lamb balls)
Also Sweet Breads ( Thymus gland)
When I was young Dad would make Debris
A very rich stew made from cast off organ meat
Brain, heart, liver, kidney, tongue, Thymus and Chitlens
At the time organ meat was very cheap and considered garbage- Debris .
To attempt to make Debris today would be very costly
Dad also made Hog's Head Cheese
Basically a turine made from the meat, fat and gelatin from the head of a hog boiled in seasoned water
Hog Head Cheese is available in numerous markets. Fairly good
Nothing like Dad made.
Wish I had his old recipes

Same here as well, single parent family, mum never had much but we never went hungry, my fave meals are still cheap cuts.

Russ

Two things I am very eager to feel confident enough to cook.... Not quite ready, yet.

Soup dumplings, the way they make them down in NYC. The dumpling itself will be the hardest part to get right.

Octopus balls / Takoyaki, a Japanese street food. I've actually bought the pan for this, I just gotta get the nerve up to do it.

Okay, a third: Tiramisu.

Sweetbreads... My parents used to cook them, and I loved them. In fact, since I disliked chicken breast, they used to tell me that the chicken breast they were serving was really sweetbreads... I wasn't fooled...

Anyhow, simmer for around 20-30 minutes in salted water, then incorporate into whatever recipe you are making.

I've gotten them at farmer's markets (sometimes) and from local farmers who note that they have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom