January challenge log

Well done! But the cals seems high to me. Depends how vigorously you cycle and maybe you cycle really fast with pedal resistance. Not swearing by this source but other sources say roughly the same:

Cycling - Burn Calories and Lose Weight
Maybe you're right, but it sure felt like a good workout to me.
Screenshot_20220114-074358_Peloton.jpg

Well done! But the cals seems high to me. Depends how vigorously you cycle and maybe you cycle really fast with pedal resistance. Not swearing by this source but other sources say roughly the same:

Cycling - Burn Calories and Lose Weight
It is generally said that cycling on the open road you can expect to average around 50cal/mile, wind resistance and changing terrain account for that. On a static bike you burn considerably less because you are engaging a lot less of the core and upper body muscles. That is my understanding as a long experienced cyclist.

It is generally said that cycling on the open road you can expect to average around 50cal/mile, wind resistance and changing terrain account for that. On a static bike you burn considerably less because you are engaging a lot less of the core and upper body muscles. That is my understanding as a long experienced cyclist.
My cousin was riding with me (virtually, several states away, technology is amazing!) and I had a peak at his stats. His watt output was much higher than mine but calorie output was closer to 300 with his heart-rate rarely going above 150bpm. Needless to say he is much fitter than I am and outperformed me with ease. So my suspicion is that the Peleton algorithm has a multiplier for heart rate as a way of measuring "effort" and displaying it in the calorie read out.

My cousin was riding with me (virtually, several states away, technology is amazing!) and I had a peak at his stats. His watt output was much higher than mine but calorie output was closer to 300 with his heart-rate rarely going above 150bpm. Needless to say he is much fitter than I am and outperformed me with ease. So my suspicion is that the Peleton algorithm has a multiplier for heart rate as a way of measuring "effort" and displaying it in the calorie read out.
The proper terms and biology behind training levels is something I used to understand, but old age has got the better of me, and I am left knowing that zone 3 effort is where you need to be to achieve weight loss most efficiently. It's to do with aerobic and anaerobic energy conversion. In zone 3 the body settles into converting fat to sugar and delivering it to the muscles in a sustainable way, by zone 4 the body just scavenges glucose from where ever it can find it to drive the muscles and fat burning shuts down.
Something like that anyway, it goes back to the days when I could do 100 miles in one go or bowl along quite happily at 20mph or more.

I am doing a writing challenge on another (non-food) site. So far I'm up to the writing I've set myself. Should be at 31K words at the end of the month. Aim is to average at 1000 words per day.

I want to do a walking challenge, but I ain't walking on the residues of ice storms more than is absolutely necessary to take care of my chickens. We also have a big snowstorm aiming its eye to arrive this coming Monday - predicted 9-14 inches. Not walking in that, either.

I do like walking challenges - they just don't happen for me here in January.

I didn't walk this morning due to thick fog and icy underfoot, but I had to do something this month to get started.

This afternoon we walked canalside for a distance, back onto the main road, popped into ALDI for a few bits, then home, 2.08 miles, not much but although cold, the sun was shining and warm.

This afternoon we walked canalside for a distance, back onto the main road, popped into ALDI for a few bits, then home, 2.08 miles, not much but although cold, the sun was shining and warm.

When it is really cold outside, you are burning calories even when doing nothing, just to keep your core temperature normal. So, a shorter walk on a very cold day burns more calories than the same walk on a warm day.

CD

What are you writing about?
It's about writing most anything, blogs, or fiction, or related. That site I am on is an interactive fiction (mostly fiction) site where people collaborate together to have fun writing together. There is at least one person who has gotten published in her own right for a couple of novels. I'm not ready for that!

Back
Top Bottom