Recipe Kadai Mushroom

swalia

Veteran
Local time
1:11 AM
Kadai Mushroom is an easy and quick dish. Sauteed button mushrooms in a semi dry gravy of spiced and tangy tomato sauce along with bell peppers. This is a very famous dish from Punjab in India.

INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
for kadai masala:
  • 1 tbsp coriander seeds/sabut dhania
  • 3 to 4 dry red chilies, broken and deseeded if preferred
  • ½ tsp cumin seed/jeera
  • ½ inch cinnamon/dal chini
  • 1 green cardamom/chotti elachi
  • 2 cloves/lavang
  • 3 to 4 black pepper/kalimirch
  • 1 single strand of mace/javitri (optional)
other ingredients:
  • 200-250 gms button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 medium to large capsicum/bell pepper, thinly sliced or julienned (red or green or yellow)
  • 2 medium to large tomatoes, pureed, about ¾ cup tomato puree (use tomatoes which are ripe, red and not too tangy)
  • 1 medium onion, about ½ cup finely chopped onion
  • ½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 medium garlic, crushed in a mortar-pestle or 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
  • 1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves/kasuri methi, crushed
  • ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi, optional
  • ½ cup water, 125 ml
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • salt as required
for garnish:
  • 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
  • ½ inch ginger/adrak, julienne
variations:
  • 1 or 2 tbsp cream - low fat 25 to 35 % cream can be added right at the end and mixed with the gravy
  • ¼ tsp garam masala powder or punjabi garam masala- garam masala powder can be added when you add the kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves

INSTRUCTIONS
preparing the kadai masala:
  1. first dry roast all the spices mentioned above for the kadai masala, on a low flame in a kadai/wok or a pan till fragrant. don't burn them.
  2. once the spices cool down, add them to a grinder jar.
  3. grind to a semi fine powder. you can also grind to a fine powder. keep the ground kadai masala aside.
preparing the kadai mushroom gravy:
  1. in the same jar, add chopped tomatoes. blend the tomatoes to a smooth puree. keep aside.
  2. rinse, wipe and then slice the mushrooms. also thinly slice the bell pepper & chop the onions etc. keep the veggies aside.
  3. heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai or pan. add the sliced mushrooms.
  4. stir & saute the sliced mushrooms. first you will see the mushrooms releasing a lot of water.
  5. then later the water evaporates. saute till the mushrooms get browned from the edges.
  6. remove the mushrooms and keep aside.
  7. in the same oil, add finely chopped onions. saute the onions till translucent or light golden.
  8. now add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till their raw aroma disappears.
  9. add the tomato puree. stir and saute till you see some oil releasing from the sides.
  10. then add the sliced capsicum/bell pepper. stir and saute for 5 to 6 minutes on a low flame
  11. add the ground kadai masala which we made. you can also add ¼ tsp turmeric powder at this step. adding turmeric powder is optional though.
  12. then add ½ cup water. season with salt.
  13. stir & bring the gravy to a simmer on a low flame till you see a few specks of oil on top.
  14. add the sauteed mushrooms.
  15. lastly add crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves. switch off the stove.
  16. stir and then serve kadai mushroom hot with rotis, parathas or naan. garnish kadai mushrooms with ginger julienne and chopped coriander leaves.

NOTES
other varieties of mushrooms can also be used instead of button mushrooms.

you can increase or decrease the amount of red chilies as per their heat & pungency.

Recipe Source: http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/
kadai-mushroom-recipe-final.jpg

Thanks for attaching the photo. It looks really good and spicy. It is a bit complicated for what I usually make so I am not sure I would ever make it but I would love to give it a try if I ever get the chance to.

I love the look of this one right here. While I don't recognise a lot of the ingredients I feel like it is something I would thoroughly enjoy. @swalia, be sure to add this to the The Cooking Bites Challenge. It could be a winner.

I think this is a lovely recipe and I will most certainly be cooking this soon - but I am very familiar with this kind of Indian cooking - dry frying spices, using garlic and ginger paste, etc. Indeed, I have all the spices in my store cupboard! However, I know a lot of folk here would find it very complicated and possibly not understand the ingredients. In the UK we are much more familiar with Indian spices and cooking styles than our American cousins.

I have been working on a really basic curry recipe to encourage those who aren't familiar with Indian cuisine. Its difficult as there are some spices which are more scarce in the US or elsewhere. Here in the UK I can more or less get anything in the way of Indian spices very cheaply from a local Asian shop.

When I don't want to eat meat product, but want to eat good food, it is always mushroom or paneer. When we are cooking mushroom, we always cook on iron kadai. Mushroom tastes batter when it is cooked in a kadai. I love mushroom curry with steamed rice or tandoori rooti. I can cook mushroom dish which is similar to this.My mother says, I make best mushroom in the world

When I don't want to eat meat product, but want to eat good food, it is always mushroom or paneer. When we are cooking mushroom, we always cook on iron kadai. Mushroom tastes batter when it is cooked in a kadai. I love mushroom curry with steamed rice or tandoori rooti. I can cook mushroom dish which is similar to this.My mother says, I make best mushroom in the world
When your mother tells you you can make the best of anything then it has to be very good. Especially if you have a mother like me who tends to be a big food critic (constructive criticism).:)

Last edited:

I couldn't track down this recipe on the source you gave above. But I did find it here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8mA0nLciRU

Recipe by buntypinky mahant

Warning... the video is very tedious as she does everything more or less in real time - so lots of long lasting shots of a pan being stirred! But it is the same recipe. I think it could be written up more economically. This is not a criticism of you @swalia - as you are not the author!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom