Recipe Kale, Pomegranate and Carmalized Parsnip Salad

Local time
6:18 AM
How pretty is this? I think this could sit pretty among the recipes for the Challenge and in the absence of Parsnips, I could improvise with carrots or some other vegetable.

kale-parsnip-salad-1.jpg

Ingredients
For the Salad:

• 1 large bunch of kale (about 10 large leaves)
  • 1 pomegranate
  • 4 medium parsnips (about 1 pound)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3 Tbsp maple syrup
For the Dressing:
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 2 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 Tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional Garnish:
  • 2 Tbsp. freshly grated parmesan
  • 3 Tbsp. toasted hazelnuts
Directions
  1. Wash the parsnips and scrub if needed, no need to peel them. Slice lengthwise into pieces about 3 inches long and then cut those into quarters (or eights if the parsnips are big). Place them in a roasting pan with the 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp maple syrup and toss well. Roast them in a 375F oven for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender inside and crispy golden on the outside. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
  2. Place all the salad dressing ingredients in a jar, screw on the lid, and shake vigorously.
  3. Cut away the stems from the kale leaves and discard them. Place the kale leaves on top of one another and shred finely. Place the shredded kale in a large salad bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Let the kale rest for 30 minutes to absorb the dressing.
  4. Deseed the pomegranate. This video shows how to do it. Add the pomegranate seeds and the cooled roasted parsnip to your salad and toss.
  5. If you wish, garnish with toasted hazelnuts (simply place hazelnuts in a skillet on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently so they don't burn) and freshly grated parmesan.
Yield: 8 servings

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow presentation wise I think this is one of the prettiest salads I have ever seen. I love all the amazing colors. It sounds really good too especially the dressing.

Wow presentation wise I think this is one of the prettiest salads I have ever seen. I love all the amazing colors. It sounds really good too especially the dressing.
I am a sucker for pretty pictures and this one got my attention. When I have guest, I like to have the dishes looking pretty and exciting. I'm like a child who gets excited by colour and presentation sometimes. Pretty is from my girly vocab.

Back
Top Bottom