Recipe & Video KFC Style Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken

Reactions: mjd
Very odd post on the Quora site with grammatical and spelling errors. Not to be trusted.

As far as I'm concerned whole milk and full cream milk are the same thing. Jersey and Guernsey milk (mentioned in the Quora post) is much creamier and contains up to 5% cream.

Anything one reads on Quora should be taken with a grain of salt. There is so much bad information on that site, that I don't go there at all, anymore.

CD

Morning Glory and caseydog, that has been my experience as well. I've read so much nonsense on that site...what's the point? I have a cousin that would give people the wrong directions if they got lost in her neighborhood. She thought it was funny. I thought it was cruel. I'm "geographically challenged" and it's scary not knowing where you are or how to get to somewhere familiar. That's how I feel about Quora...mostly "bad directions".

Do you experienced Cooking-Biters think this recipe would work in an air fryer? I don't mind cooking in hot oil since my blood pressure and cholesterol are already shot to he!!. LOL I'm just wondering. Would you make it "as is" or could it be oven fried or done in the air fryer? I'm so hungry for fried chicken after seeing caseydog 's photo. Yeah, let's go with that. ;-).

Do you experienced Cooking-Biters think this recipe would work in an air fryer? I don't mind cooking in hot oil since my blood pressure and cholesterol are already shot to he!!. LOL I'm just wondering. Would you make it "as is" or could it be oven fried or done in the air fryer? I'm so hungry for fried chicken after seeing caseydog 's photo. Yeah, let's go with that. ;-).

Not sure. I've cooked chicken in a sort of stiff batter in the halogen oven (which is similar to an air fryer). It may depend on how 'wet' the batter is. The batter will need to cling as its not going to be immediately sealed by the hot oil.

Tell me someone if I'm talking nonsense, since I don't have an air fryer.

There is something called "Kettle Fried Chicken" in BBQ circles in the US. You basically make a thick batter with canola oil in it, and cook it on a Weber Kettle grill with charcoal. I made it once, and it was good, but not as good as real fried chicken, IMO. But, if that works, I would think an air fryer would work.

ChickenHR2B.jpg

I googled "full cream milk" and it looks like a substitute would be milk and butter. Does that sound about right? If not, what would you suggest as a substitute if I can't find full cream milk?
The original recipe is with buttermilk, you could use high fat content cream, but not sure milk would work, at least for the consistency.

Not sure. I've cooked chicken in a sort of stiff batter in the halogen oven (which is similar to an air fryer). It may depend on how 'wet' the batter is. The batter will need to cling as its not going to be immediately sealed by the hot oil.

Tell me someone if I'm talking nonsense, since I don't have an air fryer.

I am guessing you are right about the stiff batter. However, there is no oil used in the air fryer except a light coating on the basket itself. It "fries" using hot air and is an amazing small appliance. Don't tell my Crock-pot, but my air fryer is now my favorite small appliance. ;-)

KFC Style Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken
View: https://youtu.be/azarDUAPzk8

Ingredients:
  • 500 g chicken thighs (drumsticks and whole legs)
  • 1 cup full cream milk
  • 2 tbsp yogurt
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 cup all purpose flour (plain)
  • 1 cup cornflour (corn starch)
  • Vegetable oil, for frying
Instructions
  • In a mixing bowl, add 1 cup cream milk, 2 tbsp yogurt, 2 egg whites, 1 tsp salt, mix
  • In a small bow, mix paprika, cayenne, onion, garlic powder, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp brown sugar
  • Dip chicken pieces to spice mix and add them to the marinade
  • Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
  • Add 1 cup flour, ½ cup corn starch and 1 tsp baking powder to the remaining spice mix and mix all
  • Heat up the oil to 160 / 170 C
  • Coat marinated chickens with spice flour mix
  • Repeat the same with marinade and spice mix again
  • Fry 15 minutes until golden brown
  • Place on a cooling rack and serve
chi_4_.png

I made this today. Super yammy. I used all of the rest spice mix (there wasn't that much left) in the first flour set, so I didn't make a double dose - only 1 cup of flour and 1/2 cup corn starch in total. I used a Teflon casserole pan instead of a steel pot. I wanted to cut down on oil so I steamed the unspiced chicken bits for ~25 min, let them cool on the balcony, added the marinade, let sit, tossed the pieces in the flour mix and batter, again in the flour mix and batter (according to the recipe), and fried them in a shallow layer of evoo-macadamia oil mix for only 3-5 minutes per side.

I used whole milk (not buttermilk) and yoghurt in the batter. As the chicken bits (I used wings to fit the pan) were pre-steamed and damp, the loose batter stuck very well.

I used a skillet/frying sieve to prevent oil splatters.
chi_1_.png

Back
Top Bottom