Recipe Khoresh Karafs – Germez (Persian Celery & Tomato Stew with tofu)

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:20 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Traditionally, Khoresh Karafs is made using chicken, so I switched out the chicken for tofu. I'd frozen and defrosted the tofu previously (it really helps tofu absorb flavour), then drained and dried the tofu in advance. I'd recommend that you do the same, especially if you're unconvinced about tofu. Freezing tofu changes the structure internally, creating tiny holes in the slab where the water crystals have expanded. Once defrosted and drained, these holes do allow your liquid to penetrate the tofu completely rather than just coat the outside. It makes a huge difference.

There are 2 versions of Khoresh Karafs from what I've read. The age old version that's widely known is made with loads of herbs in it which turns the dish green. Then there is another version, made with tomatoes that turns the dish red. This version is much less well known and the one I'm making. I've served it with a vegan version of Recipe - Unstuffed Tahchin - Persian Baked Saffron Rice with added barberries.

My source simply uses the colour to differentiate between the two dishes.

Khoresh Karafs – Ghermez (Chicken, Celery & Tomato Stew)

Servings: 6
Ingredients
3 tbsp canola oil
400g tofu, frozen, defrosted, drained, pressed and cubed
1 large onion (finely diced)
6 cloves garlic (crushed or minced)
1 red chilli (minced - optional)
1 large leek (medium sliced)
1 tsp turmeric
3 tbsp tomato purée
950 ml water
2 bay leaves
Juice of 1 lemon or lime
1/8 tsp ground saffron
1 head celery (chopped in 2 inch chunks)
500g medium tomatoes (quartered)
Salt and pepper (to taste)

Method
  1. Grind your saffron stands and steep in either ice or 100ml hot water. Set aside until needed.
  2. Prep your celery. If it is stringy, destring it, but it will be well cooked, so don't worry too much unless the outer stems are very bad.
  3. Place a shallow casserole pan or equivalent on a medium-high heat, add 1tbsp oil and fry the tofu cubes until golden. Remove from the pan.
  4. Add 2 tbsp oil to the same pan and cook the onions until they turn golden. Add the garlic and chilli (if using) and stir in.
  5. Add leek to the pan and and cook until softened.
  6. Add turmeric, tomato purée, bay leaves, lemon juice and saffron water. Add half of the water and stir well.
  7. Add the chopped celery, quartered tomatoes and fried tofu to the pan so that they are just submerged in the liquid of the stew. Add more water as needed.
  8. Bring stew to a boil and then lower the heat and allow to simmer with the lid half on for about an hour. If the stew is too watery, allow to simmer further without the lid on to thicken the sauce.
  9. Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley before serving.
  10. Serve with saffron Kateh/tachin.

Back
Top Bottom