Recipe Khow Padt Gai

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
11:45 PM
Thai Chicken Fried Rice.

My intention was to cook this today but the beneficiary of my old fridge/freezer didn't collect it yesterday so I have two large appliances in my kitchen which have reduced the area available for food preparation.

I hope to cook it tomorrow and shall then add some images.

Ingredients.
  • 1½ tablespoons olive oil
  • 6 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 200 gm chicken breast, skinned and cut bite size.
  • 3 fresh red chillis, thinly sliced
  • 4 shallots, thinly sliced
  • 50 gms defrosted frozen peas
  • 250 g cooked jasmine rice, cold
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 4 spring onions, chopped
  • 2 small tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaf
  • cucumber, sliced
  • fresh tomato, sliced
  • spring onions, whole

Method.

Heat the oil in a wok and stir fry the garlic for a minute. Add the chicken pieces and continue to stir fry until the chicken is browned. Add the shallots and chillis and fry for another 5 minutes. Add the peas.

If the rice is stuck together, break it into individual grains with your fingers. Add the rice to the wok and stir fry for a further 5 minutes then add the egg. Stir fry continuously until the egg is cooked and incorporated.

Add the fish sauce, sliced spring onions and chopped tomatoes and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes.

Season, add the coriander and heat for a minute.

Serve with sliced cucumber, sliced fresh tomatoes, whole spring onions and a bowl of chopped fresh chills in fish sauce and/or soy sauce.

Last edited:
A very good photo

I am curious about the addition of egg (beaten previously?) that I see has blended very well with the rest, without making the scrambled eggs (I speak from my personal experience).

A very good photo

I am curious about the addition of egg (beaten previously?) that I see has blended very well with the rest, without making the scrambled eggs (I speak from my personal experience).

Not beaten. Although I always break duck eggs into a bowl to ensure there is no residual shell. (You really need to give duck eggs a fair wack to break the shell). Then just stir it in.

Same procedure as this cucumber and prawn dish:

Recipe - Stir fried cucumber, eggs and prawns.

Back
Top Bottom