Kitchen gadgets or other kitchenware you own but never use

I have a mandoline that I've used once. I just use the slicer on my food processor instead. $40 just sitting in my cupboard gathering dust.

I also have these stupid 'non-stick' egg frying rings that DON'T WORK (egg sticks all over them) which cost $20 for the set of 4 but I can't bring myself to throw them away.

I have a mandoline that I've used once. I just use the slicer on my food processor instead. $40 just sitting in my cupboard gathering dust.

I also have these stupid 'non-stick' egg frying rings that DON'T WORK (egg sticks all over them) which cost $20 for the set of 4 but I can't bring myself to throw them away.

I have a bad history with mandolins. 🤕

CD

When we rebuilt the kitchen after the floods, we found an electric juicer in the depths of one of the cupboards which we must have had since 2000. I think my wife may have used it once after it was discovered but now it's been re-stored I know not where.

Somewhere at the back of one of the cupboards is a popcorn maker - it works really well, but I struggle to get flavours to stick to the popcorn so we've gone back to the bags of microwave popcorn now.

I also have a toasted sandwich maker with removable plates so it can also be used to make waffles. Haven't used it for years, but recently I keep thinking of getting it out again....I just keep forgetting! Oh there's automatic egg boiler back there too.....Mum bought one and loved it so much she bought everyone in the family one. And I've just remembered the spiralizer....its fun on the odd occasion I want to make curly fries, but that's so rarely I may as well just buy frozen ones!

When I started writing this I thought I probably used most of my gadgets, but it turns out there's more of them hidden back there than I thought....I should probably have a clear out :giggle:

Oh yeah. I have a Breville Bread Making machine. I think I've used it to make 2 very heavy loaves of bread in the 10+ years I've had it. It did get a spell just as a dough mixer, but now I do that in my food processor.

I got a bread making machine given by a guy who never used it. Now I'm the guy who never uses it.

Like vernplum I used it a few times to mix pizza dough but then gave that up.

The pasta machine and the food processor. I find them both too difficult and messy to use. The food processor is easily replaced by my blender, which works best and weighs less than the food processor.

The pasta machine and the food processor. I find them both too difficult and messy to use. The food processor is easily replaced by my blender, which works best and weighs less than the food processor.

My food processor is used to mix ingredients for pork burgers, haslet and pork and onion stuffing. When it was new I used it to slice vegetables but it became too much of a hassle and I went back to knife slicing (it wouldn't slice cayenne chillis anyway).

Pork burgers:

Last edited:
My food processor is used to mix ingredients for pork burgers, haslet and pork and onion stuffing. When it was new I used it to slice vegetables but it became too much of a hassle and I went back to knife slicing (it wouldn't slice cayenne chillis anyway).

Pork burgers:

Ah, this is a good idea. I may try this the next time I'm making burgers.

I also have a toasted sandwich maker with removable plates so it can also be used to make waffles. Haven't used it for years, but recently I keep thinking of getting it out again

I have one too but I've only used the panini plates which I use to make toasted sandwiches - usually to eat for lunch with soup. The sandwich plates are silly because the bread doesn't really fit. Actually I did once use the waffle plates but it was a disaster as I must have got the waffle batter wrong because it leaked all over the place.

I too have a spiralizer (two in fact!). I haven't used them for years.

Completely forgot about the toasted sandwich maker. I have one I inherited from my grandparents, but I don't like toasted sandwiches and I've never used it, I just keep it in case someone who enjoys toasted sandwiches happens to visit me. Which has never happened in the 10 years I've had the sandwich maker, but you never know :laugh:

Sounds like home exercise equipment. It moves from home to home to home, where nobody uses it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom