Kitchen gadgets or other kitchenware you own but never use

Bingo!! I don't. :whistling:
Me neither, that's why I gave mine away.
Easy. I also have an omelett skillet & I use that same size pan to make scrambled eggs One or two eggs. :whistling:
I was thinking you were saying you don't need skillets. Something about your post made me think were saying you didn't need any skillets, that's why I asked about how you make eggs. It didn't occur to me for some reason that you were talking about electric ones and not stovetop.
Got quite a few skillets for the stove. Don't need one! :whistling:

Me neither, that's why I gave mine away.

I was thinking you were saying you don't need skillets. Something about your post made me think were saying you didn't need any skillets, that's why I asked about how you make eggs. It didn't occur to me for some reason that you were talking about electric ones and not stovetop.

I should've made it more clear. I had one (electric skillet) before, but I'm fine using stovetop skillets. From cast iron, to nonstick to stainless steel, I got them. I DO have an electric pot, but it's mainly for deep frying & cooking other things. :whistling:

Last edited:
I should've made it more clear. I had one (electric skillet) before, but I'm fine using stovetop skillets. From cast iron, to nonstick to stainless steel, I got them. I DO have an electric pot, but it's mainly for deep frying & cooking other things. :whistling:
I attribute it to the fact that I was still asleep, or at least only halfway awake!

Well, I haven't used the pasta maker in a while, but if we do dumplings for May, then that will come out again... but that lives in the mud room.

I was given a dedicated Fowlers Vacola preserving pan that has a slot for the thermometer and a tap for easy emptying. But I don't have any of their actual jars, lids or clips and because the base isn't in contact with the work surface, it won't work on my induction hob, so I'd need to use it outside on the gas BBQ. It's one of the old original systems. If it was the modern one, is probably use it. It lives in the garage. The Professional Stainless Steel Preserver

There are a few tools in the gadget drawer that I keep thinking I need to get rid of, but if I pull them out, hubby claims he uses them... (such as the garlic grater thing that's a ceramic plate).
There are a series of cookie cutters not really used because I tend to cut scones by hand.
There is a hand whisk that I frequently use but hubby hates because it is horrendous to clean

Yorky I have a garlic press that is in use most days but ours is a dream to use and a doodle to clean.

Windigo I have a dehydrator as well but mine is in almost constant use at the moment. Right now it has a batch of homemade Tempeh in it, but usually it has pear slices or plum slices, plum leathers, pear leathers, raw onion bread or kale crisps in it on the go and as right now it is often used as an incubator when the yoghurt maker won't suffice.

Ah ha, I've just remembered that darned Kitchenaid stick blender hubby wanted when we first moved to Australia. I think I've used it twice, if that and only whilst I wad waiting for my kitchen stuff to arrive from the UK. It's a pain in the backside, heavy and overkill plus the Vitamix lives on the kitchen counter, and I much prefer to use that than the stick blender... I wonder how well it would be taken if I suggested getting rid of it?

Looks like a coffee maker with the spicket on the front of it. $500?!! I'll pass. Don't need it THAT bad. :ninja:

Ah ha, I've just remembered that darned Kitchenaid stick blender hubby wanted when we first moved to Australia. I think I've used it twice, if that and only whilst I wad waiting for my kitchen stuff to arrive from the UK. It's a pain in the backside, heavy and overkill plus the Vitamix lives on the kitchen counter, and I much prefer to use that than the stick blender... I wonder how well it would be taken if I suggested getting rid of it?

I'm the opposite - no Vitamix, blender or liquidiser other than a stick blender. The stick blender I have is not heavy at all - its super fast and a doddle to clean: simply unscrew the stick part containing the blade and rinse under tap.

I'm the opposite - no Vitamix, blender or liquidiser other than a stick blender. The stick blender I have is not heavy at all - its super fast and a doddle to clean: simply unscrew the stick part containing the blade and rinse under tap.
But you don't exactly puree nuts to a fine cream as a dairy replacement etc, or grind them because ground nuts are surprisingly hard to find in Australia... or at least this part of it.

If I want a part pureed soup, I just put half of out in the blender (Vitamix) which also has its own cleaning routine where you add water and a drop of washing up liquid in it and press the cleaning button. Job done.

But you don't exactly puree nuts to a fine cream as a dairy replacement etc, or grind them because ground nuts are surprisingly hard to find in Australia... or at least this part of it.

No - and I do understand that a Vitamix can do things that a stick blender can't. If I had a big kitchen and an unlimited budget I'd probably have one on the counter. But I can't really justify the expense given that I would rarely use it. I do have spice grinder which can make ground nuts (small amounts at a time)

Aside from making nut cream/ground nuts, what else does it do that a stick blender can't do?

I put a little drop of soap and some hot water in the stick blender cup (if I’m using that as well), give it a whizz for 30 seconds or so, and it’s all clean as can be.

No - and I do understand that a Vitamix can do things that a stick blender can't. If I had a big kitchen and an unlimited budget I'd probably have one on the counter. But I can't really justify the expense given that I would rarely use it. I do have spice grinder which can make ground nuts (small amounts at a time)

Aside from making nut cream/ground nuts, what else does it do that a stick blender can't do?
That makes sense in your situation. We never use a stick blender at the restaurant and use a Vitamix exclusively. It's not so much what a Vitamix can do better than a stick blender as it's ability to do anything exceedingly well in a timely fashion.

Back
Top Bottom