2 garlic cloves
1 diced onion
1 diced green capsicum
1 diced celery stick
1/2 tbsp. fennel seeds
1 tbsp. smoked paprika
Chopped parsley for garnish

Method:

Combine all meatball ingredients and form in to medium size balls. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour. Fry meatballs to brown them in olive oil but don't fully cook through, remove and place aside.

For sauce combine tomato, chillies, and one cup of the grapes and process till smooth. In same pan as meatballs were cooked, saute onion, garlic, celery and capsicum till onion softens, Add fennel seeds and smoked prapika and fry a little longer. Pour in tomato, chilli, and grape mixture....and lower heat to a simmer. Add one cup of whole grapes and simmer to reduce and thicken sauce.

When sauce ready, add meatballs to sauce and simmer for another 2-3 minutes coating meatballs and finish cooking them through. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with some warm crusty garlic bread.

I love that red color. Actually, I love what’s giving it that particular shade of red. There’s a lot of good things going on
here.

What sort of chilies did you use? I’d guess that’s the beauty of this recipe: you can make it as hot as you like. I think, no matter how you go, this is a winner.

And then, the coolness of the mint battles it out with the heat of the chilies. Who’s going to win? Whoever is eating it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what they're called. They were quite large and only medium in heat, so after cooking was only a background note of spiciness. I think I'll use hotter ones next time if just making it for myself. I posted the video of the actual making of this dish (as pictured) over in the food blog and photography thread as a bit of shameless self promotion of my YouTube efforts.

Back
Top Bottom