Recipe Lamb Broth Soup with Brussels Sprouts

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
4:20 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
I had so much luscious leftover lamb au jus from a previous leg of lamb dish, that I reserved it, and skimmed off the fat.

I obtained about 2 cups worth of nicely gelatinized au jus, that I decided to make it into a soup. With Brussels sprouts.

lamb-soup-origin-use.jpg

I don’t really care for the sprouts just being boiled, but they do wonderfully roasted, and then put into a liquid base (such as a soup). This would mean I wouldn’t have to cook the broth very long, either.

Onions are a staple in this house, so I also roasted some onion with the Brussels sprouts. Since the juices still had a ras al hanout atmosphere to them (from that leg of lamb), I didn’t focus much on additional seasonings. Add some of your own as desired.

lamb-soup-brussels-onions.jpg

If one desires, one can also add bits of leftover lamb into this soup – I ended up finding other uses for those, so this broth stood on its own with the vegetables. One could also add slivers of red or orange bell pepper for a colorful atmosphere, possibly using less of the other veggies if you do so.

lamb-soup-simmer.jpg

Because of the gelatin, and the local-farm-raised-pastured properties, and the cruciferous Brussels, this is a very nutritious soup, and would be warming on a cold winter day.

Note: I thought I was going to use twice as much Brussels sprouts and onions than I actually added, after roasting, to the soup. So the photos aren’t adjusted, but my recipe has been adjusted. (The extra veggies got eaten later…)

lamb-soup-done-counter.jpg

Prep Time: 10 minutes.
Cook Time: 20 to roast the veggies, about 10 for the soup.
Rest Time: Nada.
Serves: 2, but have a salad or something as a side.
Leftovers: Yes, but will be less-crispy upon re-heating.

Lamb Broth Soup with Brussels Sprouts

• About 2 cups of lamb broth (or pork, or chicken, or goat, or beef) – but use homemade broth with inherent gelatin. Left from a roast, which doesn’t have to be the recipe I used… is wonderful since you won’t have to add extra seasonings, and you should have a nutritious gelatin based broth. The supermarket varieties don’t have the flavor or nutrition levels for this recipe.
  • 80 grams of trimmed and chopped Brussels sprouts. The thicker base of these, chop finer than the leafy ends.
  • About 1/6th of a medium-large onion, sliced.
  • 1 teaspoon of avocado oil. (Check to be sure YOUR avocado oil is for high heat cooking, I source mine from BJ’s or Costco.) Or some other high heat healthy cooking oil. If your broth isn’t very seasoned, bacon fat could be an option.
  • 1 celery stalk, diced.
  • Seasonings of your choice - I used a ras al hanout blend, which was already incorporated into the leg of lamb broth.
  • Optional parsley for garnish.
Roast the prepared Brussels sprouts and onion and cooking oil (mix together first) in a pre-heated oven (425 F) for 20 minutes.

When that is almost ready, heat up the broth and celery together, on high, on the cooktop in a suitable pan.

Pull out the sprouts and onion from the oven.

When the gelatin of the soup has liquified, and is warm, add the sprouts and onion to the soup.

Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer.

Cook for about 5 more minutes.

Remove from heat, and serve — you can garnish with fresh parsley after you ladle this out.

That sounds lovely! I love baked Brussel sprouts, it makes them taste better, earthier in a way, at least to me, although I can eat them boiled too, I don't mind the dark, bittery flavour at all. It was really creative to use the lamb stock and the baked Brussels. Do you think the skimmed fat could substitute for the avocado oil and/or bacon fat, had you decided to leave it in?

That sounds lovely! I love baked Brussel sprouts, it makes them taste better, earthier in a way, at least to me, although I can eat them boiled too, I don't mind the dark, bittery flavour at all. It was really creative to use the lamb stock and the baked Brussels. Do you think the skimmed fat could substitute for the avocado oil and/or bacon fat, had you decided to leave it in?
Yes, that certainly can be done.

Back
Top Bottom