Recipe Lamb Steak with Pearl Onions and Mushrooms

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
4:52 AM
Lamb Steak with Pearl Onions and Mushrooms:

full.jpg

NOTE: This meal, if prepared properly, will produce a variety of separate flavors in the Mushrooms, Pearl Onions, Gravy, the Lamb and even the Bone Marrow.

Ingredients:

1) Lamb Steak - 1
2) Pearl Onions - 6 to 7
3) Mushrooms (Crimini Brown) - 1/2 to 3/4 Cup
4) Roma Tomato - 1
5) Garlic - 1/16 Cup
6) Cucumber - 1/4
7) Radishes - 3
8) Half N Half - 1/8 Cup
9) Fennel Seed
10) Anise Seed

Procedure:

1) Cut off the bottoms and tops of the Pearl Onions and skin.
2) Dice the Tomato, Cucumber and Radishes.
3) Blend the Cucumber and Radishes with Half N Half.
4) Mix in the Spices.
5) Pan simmer, covered, the Lamb Steak with whole Pearl Onions and Mushrooms.

full.png

6) Remove the Lamb to a temporary plate and keep warm.
7) Add the blended Cucumber, Radishes and Spices to the fry pan.
8) Heat until the Gravy bubbles and add diced Tomato.

NOTE: Add the Tomato last so that it doesn't mush and remains as pieces.

9) Cut a portion of the Lamb Steak and place on a serving plate.
10) Cover it with Pearl Onion, Mushroom and Gravy.
11) Add any Side Dish elements.
12) Serve.

Last edited:
Its a good looking lamb steak and I love the use of whole pearl onions and mushrooms here. The cucumber and radish blended with cream is a curious addition and I can't quite imagine how those crispy fresh vegetables work in a creamy sauce. Are they fully blended in or in little pieces?

I note you say to simmer the lamb:

5) Pan simmer, covered, the Lamb Steak with whole Pearl Onions and Mushrooms.

Are you meaning simmer in water? Also, how long does it take to simmer?

Its a good looking lamb steak and I love the use of whole pearl onions and mushrooms here. The cucumber and radish blended with cream is a curious addition and I can't quite imagine how those crispy fresh vegetables work in a creamy sauce. Are they fully blended in or in little pieces?

I note you say to simmer the lamb:

Are you meaning simmer in water? Also, how long does it take to simmer?

The Cucumber and Radish are fully blended in and they do a marvelous service to the sauce or gravy.

The Lamb is simmered in the juices given off by the Lamb itself, the Mushrooms and the Pearl Onions. They are all three cooked at the same time in the same pan.

You still don't say how long to simmer the meat, onions and mushrooms for.
Secondly, what are the yellow things in the first picture?

You still don't say how long to simmer the meat, onions and mushrooms for.
Secondly, what are the yellow things in the first picture?

The yellow things are baby gold potatoes, baked.

I never give times for simmering something like this lamb steak. If something is time critical, then yes, I will provide a time. The steak should be simmered until done. It can be tested for being done, but cutting through a piece.

Ok, flyinglentrils, I get your point about the timing, but roughly how much time do you allow yourself to make this?

Ok, flyinglentrils, I get your point about the timing, but roughly how much time do you allow yourself to make this?

I don't think it took more than 2 hours to prepare all the ingredients and do the cooking. That lamb steak is not very thick and cooked fairly quickly with a lid over it in the pan. That thickness issue is a variable that might be different for different people, as well as their preferred cooking temperature. I went medium heat on this, 250F. The pearl onions took a wee bit longer to cook soft and the mushrooms would certainly be cooked by the time they were.

The baby gold potatoes were quickly microwaved in this case, just 3 to 4 minutes.

I don't think it took more than 2 hours to prepare all the ingredients and do the cooking. That lamb steak is not very thick and cooked fairly quickly with a lid over it in the pan. That thickness issue is a variable that might be different for different people, as well as their preferred cooking temperature. I went medium heat on this, 250F. The pearl onions took a wee bit longer to cook soft and the mushrooms would certainly be cooked by the time they were.

The baby gold potatoes were quickly microwaved in this case, just 3 to 4 minutes.
Thank you - sounds like a good mode for cooking lamb steak, especially with all those flavours.

Back
Top Bottom