Recipe Lavender Kulfi with Mango Coulis

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:20 PM
Kulfi is a type of ice-cream originating in India. Its an easy ice-cream to make if you don't own an ice-cream maker because its a no-churn recipe. The aromatic lavender in this version contrasts well with the tangy mango. (Serves 4)
IMGP1156.jpg

Photographed today, indoors in natural light

Ingredients

500 ml whole milk
250 ml evaporated milk
2 tsp lavender buds
50g caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour dissolved in a little water
A few drops of violet food colouring (optional)
Grated zest of one orange
2 mangoes
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp icing sugar (optional)

Method

• Place the milk and evaporated milk in a saucepan with the lavender buds. Simmer slowly stirring frequently until reduced by half.
  • Add the sugar and mix until dissolved. Strain the mixture to remove the lavender buds and add the grated zest and food colouring and the cornflour mixture. Heat gently to thicken slightly.
  • Pour into moulds (I used metal dariole moulds) and place in freezer to set.
  • Puree the mango, lime juice and icing sugar (if using). You can pass the puree through a sieve for a smoother finish.
  • Take moulds out of the freezer five minutes before serving.
IMGP1158.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have an ice cream maker and often think it would be such a waste to buy as I don't see myself trying to make ice cream that often. For that reason I am always interested in recipes that don't require the machine. Nice work again.

Wow! This kulfi recipe is so creative and simple! I would have never thought of making a mango kulfi with lavender tinge. I tried making coconut kulfi with maple syrup and it was yum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom