Lemon and orange meringue pie

valedevento

Veteran
Local time
6:06 AM
We are going over to a friend's house for dinner and I promised to bring dessert. I have a lot of oranges and lemons and I was thinking of making a lemon meringue pie, but to add orange as well. Has anyone done this before? My friend is gluten intolerant and I am planning to make the base with almond meal, I have never done this so some advice is welcome.
Thank you

I have never had lemon and orange merengue pie before but it sounds really good. I love anything that is citrus flavor. Lemon pie is my favorite dessert.

I have never heard of it...It does sound good though. I am wondering if maybe you could just add a little bit of orange and lemon juice to the merangue. It might be one of the ways to customize a basic merangue. Maybe if you google it or do a web search you could get some recipe idea. Good luck with this, as it does sound tasty!

I would not have thought that it would be that different from a standard lemon meringue pie, just be careful that you do not over power the lemon with orange.

My recipe for lemon meringue pie is here somewhere.

As for the base, you have a couple of options. If you can source gluten free oats, or gluten free oat flour you could just use that instead of wheat flour. True oats (I.e. those not contaminated with other grains) are naturally gluten free. Otherwise almond meal, semolina (check that one) are all gluten free. Our you could just obtain some gluten free biscuits and crush them, or use any other nuts to create a nice nut base.

Thanks for the replies. I made the pie yesterday and it was lovely. I used an equal amount of lemon and orange, the flavor was really nice. I used almonds for the base, but will try oats or semolina next time.

Reactions: L_B
Glad to hear that it turned out great. It would have a unique flavor. The next time I am making a lemon pie for dessert I will have to anf orange to it. I am curious now as to what it would be like.

Back
Top Bottom