kan_7.jpg

Serves 5-6
Preparation 30-40 min

Ingredients

800 g chicken breast fillets, cut into large pieces
4 tablespoons macadamia nut oil or evoo for frying
Zest of 1 lemon
2 shallots
Garlic to taste (I used one Solo garlic; equals approximately 3-4 cloves)
2 teaspoons curry powder (0,5 teaspoon dried coriander, 0,5 teaspoon turmeric, 0,5 teaspoon fenugreek and 0,5 teaspoon jeera/cumin)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
A pinch of dried chili flakes (to taste)
1 teaspoon salt
300 – 350 ml starchy vegetable cooking cream
200 ml crème fraîche
A small bunch of parsley for garnish

Shallow-fry the chicken lightly in oil on medium heat; about 4-5 min per side. Put aside and rinse the pan. Braise the onions, pepper, chili and curry spices in oil on medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add the lemon zest and garlic and fry for another minute. Add the chicken and sprinkle a spoonful of salt on top. Add the vegetable cream and crème fraîche, mix and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is tender. Serve with rice. Garnish with parsley. You can substitute the cream and sour cream with any liquid (e.g. white wine, water or chicken stock) by adjusting the salt to taste and tossing the chicken bits in two tablespoons of plain flour/all purpose flour before adding the liquid or adding one tablespoon of cornstarch (slurry; diluted in a drop of water) in the liquid.

kan_a.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure what that is...
One of our national characteristics, I think. Vegetable oil-based "cooking creams" are cream-colored liquids thickened with cornstarch, potato starch and/or gum arabic to resemble heavy/double cream. The aim is to reduce fat in cooking. The taste is slightly sweeter and not that pleasant as dairy cream's but works well in spicy stews - especially when combined with light (10% fat) crème fraîche which fades out the "processed" hue of the product. There are many brands and flavors available. I used unflavored vegetable cream which contains a pinch of salt.

Finnish "Ruokakerma" = cooking cream

Last edited:
Hemulen, that recipe looks awesome. What would be a decent substitute for the starchy vegetable cooking cream?

I think the answer to that is in the insrtuctions:

You can substitute the cream and sour cream with any liquid (e.g. white wine, water or chicken stock) by adjusting the salt to taste and tossing the chicken bits in two tablespoons of plain flour/all purpose flour before adding the liquid or adding one tablespoon of corn starch (slurry; diluted in a drop of water) in the liquid.

Back
Top Bottom