Recipe Lemon or Lime Jelly

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:39 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I first made this a few months ago but found the taste not quite to my liking, my lemons are sweet and frankly diluting the juice by the volume suggested in the original recipe (Lemon jelly, classic and strong version! Vegan and gluten free!) left the lemon taste quite vague, so I thought I'd try it again but with limes and more lime juice to less water. If you want to taste check, did so before adding the cornflour and add a little more water (upto 100ml) if the lemon/lime taste is too strong for you. It's also the time to adjust the sweetness as well, adding more sugar (or even maple syrup) or if needed for lemon or lime juice.

You could also use orange or even grapefruit for this as well. Just adjust the volume of liquid to aim for a combined 500ml.

Ingredients
Zest of 2 lemons or 3 limes
Juice of 2 lemons or 3 limes (150ml)
50g cornflour
350ml water
50-75g golden granulated sugar or maple syrup to taste.

Method (1)
  1. Put the lemon or lime zest into 250ml of boiling water, cover and allow to stand overnight.
  2. Prepare your moulds. I used 6 IKEA Japanese ramekins. They didn't need greasing or lining, so if your using something similar, just get them out.
  3. Strain the zesty water retaining both the water and the zest.
  4. To get as much flavour as possible, if you have a liquidiser/blender/food processor, blend the soaked zest into the sugar/maple syrup so it is totally smooth. Any bits of zest will add unwanted texture to the jelly, so process it well. Add all of the remaining water (both zesty water and the remaining 100ml) once you have a smooth paste, diluting to a liquid. (Taste test now. )
  5. Now add on the cornflour (UK terminology) & lemon or lime juice and blend again to a smooth liquid.
  6. Transfer to a saucepan and heat through whilst whisking, bringing the jelly to the boil and whisking whilst cooking. Once the jelly has thickened and cooked (it will go clearer but not totally clear), transfer quickly to the 6 moulds and allow to cool.
Method (2)
  1. Put the lemon or lime zest into 250ml of boiling water, cover and allow to stand overnight.
  2. Prepare your moulds. I used 6 IKEA Japanese ramekins. They didn't need greasing or lining, so if your using something similar, just get them out.
  3. Strain the zest & water retaining the zesty water.
  4. In a saucepan, combine all of the ingredients (250ml zesty water, 100ml cold water, lemon or lime juice and sugar/ maple syrup and taste test. Once happy, add the cornflour and whisk. Heat through whilst whisking, bringing the jelly to the boil and simmering whilst whisking. Once the jelly has thickened and cooked (it will go clearer, but not totally clear), transfer quickly to the 6 moulds and allow to cool.
This is the picture from my first attempt, the lemon version. I'll add the lime version tomorrow.

The lime version is currently being made. My limes were ripening, so more yellow than green for the zest, but it won't affect the taste too much.

This is the lime version, made with maple syrup. I only added 50g of maple syrup to the mixture. In hindsight, it needed 75g. But I did think it is an excellent dairy free, lime curd and would make for an excellent curd for a vegan lemon or lime meringue

Back
Top Bottom